Low Carb Low Protein Diet

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by mmccleary2001, Jan 25, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mmccleary2001

mmccleary2001 New Member

Hello Everyone! My name is Melinda and I just joined today. Friday, my 5-year-old cat was diagnosed borderline diabetic and is also having kidney problems. The vet recommended a low carb/low protein diet (low carb for the diabetes and low protein for the kidney problems). They do have one brand of food, but only one flavor, there that addresses both of these, but I really would like to find others just so Simba has a variety. I have been able to find several low carb foods for cats, but am having problems finding a combination! Can anyone give me any suggestions that addresses both diet issues? I am going nuts looking on the web trying to find the solution @-) Thanks in advance for any help anyone can give me.

Hugs,
    Melinda

2. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

Low carb, low protein equals high fat. I do not know of any commercial diets tat meet that requirement. To help, what is the commercial food so we can compare it with commercial food. A low phosphorous food is usually recommended and may be more important than low protein. Note that cats need a minimum amount of protein to live on. Per the AFFCO standard the minimum is 26%.
    http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm ... 99&aid=657

3. Jen & Squeak

Jen & Squeak Well-Known Member

Hi there

Unless youfeed all fat you aren't going to find that food. The good news is that you do not need to restrict protein at all, just feed mod protein. See www.catinfomorg for more!

4. mmccleary2001

mmccleary2001 New Member

Thank you for the replies so far! The food the vet recommended is k/d (Hill's prescription diet). I am at my wit's end with this one, but it shouldn't surprise me...Simba never does anything normal!! LOL

Hugs and Thanks!
    Melinda and Simba

5. Jess & Earl

Jess & Earl Member

Hi Melinda

Welcome to the board :smile:

Is your cat really 5 years old (you had him from kittenhood)? I'd be surprised if he has kidney issues. Was he diagnosed with this before, or did the kidneys look bad at the same time he was diagnosed with diabetes? This can occur secondary to the dehydration that diabetes can cause. In a diabetic cat, I'd also make sure he doesn't have a bladder or kidney infection causing wonky numbers.

Jess

6. mmccleary2001

mmccleary2001 New Member

Yep, Simba is 5, almost 6 on May 15. He came home with us when he was 4 weeks. He was done with his cat mom! LOL

Simba had a UTI at the time he was diagnosed with kidney problems. The bloodwork showed very high BUN numbers and borderline diabetes. The vet is going to recheck all his bloodwork when we go back in March and make sure everything is looking good. I thought about another vet's opinion, but this is the closest to us and Simba stresses really bad with car rides LOL

I really appreciate all the comments and help! It's nice to know we aren't alone in this.

Hugs, :YMHUG:
    Meinda and Simba

7. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

Hills canned k/d contains:

Nutrient Dry Matter %
    Protein 28.9
    Fat 27.0
    Carbohydrate (NFE) 35.4
    Crude Fiber 3.0

Try looking at this list of foods to find a similar food. I would only select a canned food and would use a food with higher protein and lower card\b content.

8. Gia and Quirk

Gia and Quirk Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.