Low-carb non-pate wet food - are any of these good?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by LaraB, Dec 29, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LaraB

LaraB Member

We're trying to slowly switch all of our cats (not just our sugarcat, Joshi) over to a low-carb, DM friendly diet. It'll make feeding time less complicated, not to mention healthier, for all of our cats. The only problem is that some of our cats absolutely hate pate-style cat food, so I'm trying to find any non-pate food that might fit the bill. Someone recommended Chewy.com (how had I not heard of this website before? :)) Using only the guaranteed analysis, here are some I found on there that seemed to fit the bill, but I'm curious if anyone has actually called the companies on actual carb values for this list below (hopefully readable as I copied and pasted from an Excel spreadsheet). Are any of these not recommended? Thankfully, Joshi loves pate food, so getting her on-board the low-carb diet hasn't been an issue yet.

Earthborn Holistic RanchHouse Stew
    Tiki Cat Gourmet Carnivore Chicken with Turkey
    Tiki Cat Gourmet Carnivore Chicken with Liver
    Tiki Cat Gourmet Carnivore Beef Liver and Chicken
    Nature's Recipe n/a Chicken Recipe in Broth
    Canidae Life Stages Turkey Entrée
    Wellness Sliced Turkey Entrée
    Wellness Sliced Chicken Entrée
    Against the Grain Caribbean Club with Chicken & Cheese
    Blue Buffalo Healthy Gourmet Flaked Chicken Entrée
    Weruva Cats in the Kitchen Fowl Ball Chicken & Turkey Au Jus
    Weruva Cats in the Kitchen Chicken Frick 'A Zee Chicken Recipe Au Jus
    Weruva Cats in the Kitchen The Double Dip Chicken & Beef Au Jus
    Evanger's Super Premium Hand Packed Beef Tips with Gravy
    Fussie Cat Super Premium Chicken Formula in Gravy
    Merrick Purrfect Bistro Thanksgiving Day Dinner
    Nature's Recipe Grain-Free Chicken & Turkey Recipe in Broth
    Nature's Recipe Grain-Free Chicken Recipe in Broth
    Nutro Natural Choice Adult Sliced Turkey Entrée in Savory Sauce
    Nutro Natural Choice Adult Sliced Chicken & Tuna Entrée in Savory Sauce
    RedBarn Naturals Chicken Stew Grain-Free
    RedBarn Naturals Beef Stew Grain-Free
    Wellness Signiture Selects Shredded White Meat Chicken & Turkey Entree in Sauce

2. billysmom (GA)

billysmom (GA) Member

I have used the Tiki Cat, Weruva and Merrick you listed with good success. Note: most of the Tiki Cat and Weruva are relatively low in calories so you need to feed more volume. It can be expensive. They're good low carb foods though.

3. Squalliesmom

Squalliesmom Well-Known Member

My guys love Tiki Cat chicken with consomme, but it is very pricey. Right now they eat plain old 9 Lives pate mixed with Nature's Variety Instinct raw bites.

4. Meya14

Meya14 Well-Known Member

My cats loved the wellness non-pate types. I have a gravy-lover cat and she was happy they had "sauce".

5. merlinmarshall

merlinmarshall New Member

My cats prefer the pate types of foods - if I give them food in gravy they will often lick off the gravy and leave the food.

If you have trouble getting them to eat pate, try adding some water to it to make it more soupy, see if that helps. I typically add a spoon full or two of water to the amount of cat food in their bowls to thin it a bit. And I have a couple who prefer cat food soup, so I add a lot of water to theirs. The extra water (especially if the water is warm) seems to make it more palatable and they get the added benefit of more water in their diet.

6. LaraB

LaraB Member

I tried the the "cat soup' thing with our absolute pate hater, Mikiri. So far, he's sniffed it and proceeded to "bury" it. He is REALLY particular and very dramatic in his displeasure.:rolleyes: I'll try a few other flavors on him...but so far, no go.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.