? Low Cost Testing Supplies in Canada

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Vegetable (GA), Aug 17, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vegetable (GA)

Vegetable (GA) Member

Does anyone know where to get the best price on testing supplies in Canada? I'm going to go broke using the Bayer Contour next strips I'm using now and I cant make it across the border right now to get to Walmart to buy the Relion meter and strips I hear most people use.

I'm ok with the lancets, it's the strips that are costing me a fortune right now.

2. Critter Mom

Critter Mom Well-Known Member

3. pevsfreedom

pevsfreedom Well-Known Member

Just a clarification the test strips were from USA, I live in California :) I'm not too sure how they look over in Canada on Amazon - though it's worth checking into.

4. Brashworks

Brashworks Member

Blast! I use the same meter and just spent $90 for 100 strips.

Alas, the great Amazon tells me they will not ship the item to Canada as you suspected @pevsfreedom but it was worth a shot! Amazon.ca has them but for nearly 4x the price.:banghead::(

@Vegetable I might try eBay where sellers have less issue shipping cross border but I worry about quality.

I have seen the strips online at diabetes express.ca for $75 and $15 saved isn't bad!

5. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

You have three cheaper options in Canada:
    1) shop on eBay, lots of people have done that from trusted sellers
    2) order the Bravo test strips on line from Diabetes Express
    3) if you live near the border, order the Glucocard 01 meter and test strips from ADW, and get them shipped to a post box just across the line (such as in Blaine or Point Roberts). Arkray makes those and the Relions that Walmart sells.

There are also companies in the US that will do mail redirects to you. I know someone who used one of those to get testing supplies send from Walmart to her, via the remailer.

And I know you didn't ask for dosing advice Jennifer, but remember than we dose Lantus by how low the dose gets a kitty. Try to ignore those higher preshots, stay the course.

Critter Mom likes this.
  6. Vegetable (GA)

Vegetable (GA) Member

@Wendy&Neko thanks for the info. I was doing a little research today & I'm thinking I'm gonna have to make a trip across the border & stock up on some supplies, it's soooo much cheaper then here in Canada!

As for the dosing advice, I'm staying at the low dose. Ignore the dose info on my ss for now, I have to fix it up but I'm staying the course for now :)

7. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

I've used post boxes in Point Roberts before - the border line up is pretty short. You can even park and walk over to one of the post box places, or bike. ADW takes about a week to ship things. And this ADW link is an even better price per strip for the Glucocard 01. I buy bulk. The closest Walmart is in Bellingham - been there lots myself! If you tell the border guards you are returning with diabetic test strips for your cat, you get an eye roll and get waved on through. :p

8. Vegetable (GA)

Vegetable (GA) Member

Got the PO box part covered, now the hard part is the money. I'm still recovering from the first trip to the vet in May & now the last trip a couple weeks ago. Looks like at the end of the month I'll either order some supplies or go for a trip to Bellingham.

9. Mogmom and Goofus

Mogmom and Goofus Well-Known Member

I buy all of my testing supplies on eBay, it's been the cheapest so far.....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.