LOW numbers with Robbie...

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by RobbiesMom, Sep 1, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Joanna & Bix (GA)

Joanna & Bix (GA) Well-Known Member

awwww, poor guy, asthma after a rough night, jeeps... you all need some REST!!!!!

I didn't have time to check-in this morning & make sure the rest of the night went well.... whew!!! YAY!!!! :D amazing his morning # wasn't higher. If it's any help for reference, Bix went from around 4.5u (unregulated) on (so-called LC) dry to around 1.5 (regulated) on LC wet. He's middle-weight, maybe 13 lbs or something.

hopefully you can give his ears some time off & just get PSs and maybe one spot check for a couple days - I wouldn't worry about getting a perfect dose and perfect #s right now, I'd just try to stick with a steady dose (1u? too tired to read closely all the latest news, but whatever others have said), keep things from any extremes :shock: , let the #s settle down from all the excitement and let his ears recover, then regroup in a few days...

my vet didn't mention a no-shoot either, and it doesn't seem like most people who arrive here know about them, though I can't say for sure - I'd set yours at 200 til you have a little data and a better sense what's going on with him & what his insulin needs might be

YAY for running around & playing, go Robbie! bcatrun_gif

2. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

i think i sent your pm to wrong person ai yai yai! anyway, i do freehand and always use the same ear..other ear is ripped from a fight. never a mark! anyway, if you want to call me you can...we can do a walk thru and maybe find out what's wrong with the method.

3. RobbiesMom

RobbiesMom Member

Lori it's funny I thought you were going to suggest we use the lancet "pen" - so I set it on the 2nd lowest number and gave it a shot - presto blood droplet - this doesn't help the fact that I feel like his ears have been in the ring with Mike Tyson - So he is 233. I think he not only got his dinner but got to some of his sisters - so even though it's low carbs - he chowed down tonight - so with a smidge over 1unit at 7pm and a HEALTHY dinner (pig boy) he's at 233. I think I'll stick to the 1/2 unit dose so if this was his dose time (7) I'd be going with under 250 1 unit. We will see what tomorrow will bring but at 233 I guess I can just go to sleep and figure he's OK. As the Vet said today -- 200's is a ways from where he was when he was diagnosed and is HALF or even less than half where he's been steadily till Tuesday.
    He needs a break - poor guy - the asthma breathing is getting worse cause it's been about 6 weeks since he had a course of pred. - gotta start back up with the inhaler - this ought to be interesting - prick, shot,facemask repeat.
    thank you for the input and Lori - you think free hand is better? If so why? Or should I just go with what works?

4. Phoebe_TiggyGA_NortonGA

Phoebe_TiggyGA_NortonGA Well-Known Member

Go with what works for you.

Personally, I always use the lancet pen - it is more consistent for me.

5. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

oh honey just go with what works!!!! for me freehand got the blood so that's what i do...but super YAY with that pmps :mrgreen: :mrgreen: how cool is that. and excellent choice to go 1/2 U

6. RobbiesMom

RobbiesMom Member

sadly nothing is working - not real well. When I shine the flash light on his ears the spots I've hit with the lancet are round red blobs - there's no swelling or anything and can't really notice a thing if you aren't shining the light thru his ears. He hates this SO much - I give him a small treat, his fave. cat nip toy, lots of loving and even make his daddy hold him (he knows thats special plus it makes the dog nuts and I think Robbie enjoys that). Anyway, just pushing on- more reading, more research and I'm probably popping into the vet with him tomorrow.

7. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

i think i offered before but would you like a quick consultation on the phone...sometimes it's just a matter of a small error in method.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.