? Low sodium food recommendations needed

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by KarenCosmo, Nov 23, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KarenCosmo

KarenCosmo Member

My vet wants my non- diabetic cat, Chester, to be put on a low sodium diet - he has a severe heart condition.
    I’m having trouble finding out information about sodium content in cat food.

Is anyone aware of a list that compiles this info?
    Or, have you had any experience with low sodium foods, preferably canned?

Thanks for any assistance.

2. Kate & Toby

Kate & Toby Member

Hi Karen, what sort of heart condition does Cosmo have? Have you looked at our food charts?

My cat Toby has hypertrophic cardiomyopathy. He takes 1/4 asprin every 60 hours and 1 tablet of clopidogrel. I feed him sheeba fine flakes and fresh food. He does very well on it.

3. FurBabiesMama

FurBabiesMama Well-Known Member

Weruva gives sodium information on their foods. For example, the Chicken Frick A' Zee that I feed my girls is 44 mg per 100 calories. I don't know how low your vet wants you to look for, but I think that is pretty low. It is the lowest of the foods in Weruva's Cats in the Kitchen Originals line of foods. https://weruva.com/nutrition-landing/citk-ni/

4. KarenCosmo

KarenCosmo Member

He was diagnosed with cardiomyopathy and we were told he could have a heart attack at any minute.
    That was over 6 years ago.
    He just had another echocardiogram and they said that it’s progressed a lot.
    He’s been on clopidogrel, enalipril, and baby aspirin for most of the time, but they just swapped out the enalipril for benazepril and pimobendan. Which makes things difficult because these are every 12 hours instead of every 24 hours.

The vet didn’t give me a number but I was hoping to get as low as possible.

I’ll check out the Weruva and Sheba foods.

5. FurBabiesMama

This site https://vetmed.tufts.edu/heartsmart...-and-treat-lists-for-pets-with-heart-disease/ has a list of reduced sodium (Na) cat foods https://vetmed.tufts.edu/wp-content/uploads/low-sodium-diet-list-cats-oct-2018.pdf but, of course, they seem to focus on the 'prescription' type foods. The lowest one on here is 60 mg per 100 kcal. The Weruva Chicken Frick A Zee has lower than that at 44 mg per 100 kcal.

I also saw another site that said for advanced heart disease you stay under 50 mg per kcal.

Kate & Toby likes this.
  6. KarenCosmo

KarenCosmo Member

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.
    It looks like the WeRuVa company also makes Soulistic which seem like they’ll be good too.
    I’m going to pick some up and see if he likes them.

Then the really tough bit happens - trying to feed the separately and not leaving food down.

7. FurBabiesMama

Why do you have to feed them separately and not leave food down? If you go with to something like Chicken Frick A Zee, it meets the requirements for your diabetic, too.

8. KarenCosmo

KarenCosmo Member

For one thing, its a bit more pricy than I’m used. I have several cats and it adds up fast.

I’ll figure it out.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.