low sodium foods for hypertension?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Michelle and Doodle, Apr 30, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Michelle and Doodle

Michelle and Doodle Member

Doodle's blood pressure is quite high - 210 - and I've been looking for food options that are low in sodium (and low in phos... and low in carbs...) :roll:
    I'd prefer not to have to buy prescription foods if I don't have to.
    Does anyone know of a food list or a resource that I can access to find sodium content of various cat foods? Or do I need to contact the companies individually if I want this sort of info?

2. Jess & Earl

Jess & Earl Member

Here I come riding my white horse ;-) I have compiled such a list for the cardio cats I work with. If you PM me your address or fax number, I can send it out when I go back to work on Monday.

Cats do not seem to develop primary sodium-related hypertension as humans do; their hypertension is usually related to renal disease or hyperthyroidism. Does Doodle have CKD (chronic kidney disease)? For CKD, you want to avoid sodium blow-out diets (super-duper salty) but low sodium diets have no proven benefit in themselves. So it's more that you should avoid excessive sodium than go for severe sodium restriction. Does that make sense? I will still send you the list, if you like, just PM me.

3. Michelle and Doodle

4. Lisa and Merlyn (GA)

Lisa and Merlyn (GA) Well-Known Member

5. Michelle and Doodle

Thanks Lisa!

I saw that chart, but I wasn't sure about it. The numbers don't seem to correspond to the Janet and Binky list...
    Maybe they use a different method?
    I'm still thinking I'll pull out some of the wellness I had tucked away - my guys don't really love it, but I should be able talk them into it.
    thanks again!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.