Lower dose if can't monitor?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Raewyn, Mar 23, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Raewyn

Raewyn Member

Tim's +5 test came back at 5.6 today. Not sure if this is an aberration (related to yesterdays fur shot???), but now I'm a little nervous about doing 3 units tomorrow when I have to go out for most of the day pretty much straight after I shoot and can't monitor him. I'm conscious that a change from 2.5 to 3 units (on my vet's advice) is considered a big jump. But he has been testing so high it didn't seem unreasonable. If his AMPS test is lowish again tomorrow morning should I consider decreasing the dose a little? I've read that it's not advised to chop and change doses with Lantus though. Am I worrying about nothing? Heads up I am in NZ, current time is 6:40pm (not time for his PM test or shot yet).

2. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Bron and Sheba (GA) Well-Known Member

Did you get some more tests in? If you have a lowish number always test again to check the BSL is not dropping lower.
    If you can get a + 11 test in so we know where Tim is up to for the PMPS

3. Raewyn

Raewyn Member

I didn't get another test in after the 5.6 as I had to go out.
    I just did the PMPS and it was "Hi", so over 33 mmol/L!

4. Bron and Sheba (GA)

I would say that Tim probably dropped lower than the 5.6 (101) and you are now seeing a bounce from the low numbers, which could last from one to six cycles. So if you see high numbers for a few cycles don’t worry.
    If you get a low number like that again it is really important that you test again. If you have to go out I would give Tim a tablespoon of higher carb food to stop him going too low while you are out.
    I would definitely not increase the dose. Tim may have broken through a bit of insulin resistance.
    If you have to go out tomorrow you could give a reduced dose but you still have the depot in play so it may not make a huge difference.
    Other option is to give a half dose and leave food out for him.
    I would get a + 11 ( just before AMPS) in the morning and post and ask for help on deciding the dose. Put ‘help with dose’ in the subject line.
    In the end you have to be comfortable with your decision and keeping Tim safe.

5. Raewyn

Raewyn Member

Thanks. I'll try to get a +11, otherwise I think I'll give a half dose to be safe.

6. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Are you able to leave food out for him or do you have other cats who might eat the food?

7. Raewyn

Raewyn Member

He tested at 26.5 mmol/L this morning pre-shot, so I decided to just go with the 3 units and left some food out too (we do have another cat but she isn't a big eater). Just tested when we got home at +6.5 and it was 13.4, so he didn't go low again today thankfully!

Bron and Sheba (GA) likes this.
  8. Bron and Sheba (GA)

When he comes off the bounce, and he could be doing that now....or maybe not.....only time will tell.....he could drop down fast. Cats coming off the bounce can drop low quickly. So just be aware of that and test frequently once the numbers drop. And always test after a dropping number until it stops dropping and starts to go back up..

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.