Lower numbers but no shot for 24 hours

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by felicia__nicole, Apr 19, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. felicia__nicole

felicia__nicole Member

We've been working with our vet to decrease Benny's insulin dosage. He is currently down to 1u once a day (yay!) I gave him his shot last night and when I tested him tonight pre-shot, he was at 81. (did not shoot) I fed him and then tested him again 3 hours later and he's at 88. This seems on the low end of normal for a non-diabetic, no? Should I be worried at all?

2. Sylvie

Sylvie Member

that's great so nope, you should not worry but, be happy
    hope he keeps them low numbers for you without anymore injections.
    not sure what the low end of normal is but, all my non-diabetics run between 70-80's whenever i check them with pet meter.

3. felicia__nicole

felicia__nicole Member

I figured it was okay, but it seemed like a low number for a diabetic that hadn't had a shot in 24 hours. Thanks for the reassurance :)

Sylvie likes this.
  4. monty_dweezil (GA)

monty_dweezil (GA) Member

I think that's great!!

I think maybe sometimes a while after the insulin SHOULD be out of the body, there is still a little residual amount there and the pancreas has for whatever reason decided to jump into action and produce its own insulin, so a lower than "normal" non-diabetic number may just be that combination.

Also non-diabetic cats' numbers vary quite a lot anyway, so definitely don't worry.

He CAN'T go "too low" with no injected insulin for 24 hours.

felicia__nicole likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.