Lower reading at +11 -advice on insulin shot please?

Discussion in 'Caninsulin / Vetsulin and N / NPH' started by Ann & Liz, Nov 20, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ann & Liz

Ann & Liz Member

We increased Lila's morning shot to 1.5. We have just tested at +11 to find she is 10.3. We are giving her normal pre shot meal and will retest again close to the shot time in 1 hour. We know that we should not give insulin at below 11 which she is at the moment but presuming the food will bring her into a safer reading to inject. Any advice gratefully received please.

2. Alexi

Alexi Member

If you are not happy to skip a shot you could try a token dose, say 0.5 units. Has anything changed to give you those high pre-shot readings the past few days?

3. Ann & Liz

Ann & Liz Member

Hi Alexi, no we cannot work out why the pre shot readings have gone up. In your opinion we should presumably not think of giving 1.25 or 1.5 even if reading has increased after food to something over 15 hypothetically. Will retest soon.

4. Alexi

Alexi Member

The problem is we don't know how low the 1.5 units took her today, she had nice readings on the 17th but may have then set up a pattern of bouncing as she was used to those higher numbers previously. The 1.25 units did seem to be suiting her, can you monitor her this evening to see how she responds?

5. Ann & Liz

Ann & Liz Member

6. Ann & Liz

Ann & Liz Member

Yes will be here to test & monitor as much as needed. She is now 20.9! that is 1 hour after 50g of Lily's Kitchen (low carb).

7. Alexi

Alexi Member

I would try a 1.25 units if 1 hour after feeding is your usual shot time and try to get some monitoring in this evening.

8. Ann & Liz

Ann & Liz Member

Will do, thank you.

9. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

I think you may have to reevaluate your dose on those high preshot numbers. She's not coming down enough.

I would suggest trying 2 units when she's in the black, 1.75 when in the red, 1.5 in mid to high pinks, and 1.25 when in lower pinks and 1 in yellows.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2016
  10. Sootyca

Sootyca Member

Sky didn't do well on lily's kitchen food at all - she loved it but her numbers were not as good as I expected on it.

11. Ann & Liz

Ann & Liz Member

Thanks Janet, our vet has raised the issue of possible bouncing and therefore wants to see a curve before we increase the dose again. So after a very high amps today, the plan is to do the curve today and reevaluate.

Kris & Teasel and JanetNJ like this.
  12. Ann & Liz

Ann & Liz Member

Thanks for that info, was Sky on the organic Lily's Kitchen,? it is supposed to be extremely low carbs. But thinking I have also read that some cats don't do as well on a diet of extremely low carbs, maybe we will have to look at other diets again. Which Applaws is sky on?

13. Critter Mom

Critter Mom Well-Known Member

Watch out for the Lily's Kitchen food. IIRC the organic varieties in trays contain carrageenan which can trigger inflammatory processes in the body.

Mogs

14. Ann & Liz

Ann & Liz Member

Thank you for that info. Lila seems to be well other than these much higher readings after last week's lower readings. If we looked at changing food what would you recommend to be similar in carbs etc, she definitely enjoys Lily's Kitchen (organic chicken one). We also have to bear in mind ckd diagnosis.

15. Sootyca

Sootyca Member

Yes, Sky was on the organic - loved it but the results on her BG were much higher than I expected.

She currently is on Applaws Pate - there are 6 flavours - which is a complete food. She also has Applaws senior (also complete) - the fishy ones she loves - or the normal tuna ones which aren't complete.

I spoke with a different vet today who suggested the Applaws will be a high protein food so will be very good for Sky - she has also suggested stopping her insulin (we are down to a 0.5 at the moment anyway due to fairly low tests in the morning). Sky seems to have really responded well to the food and is possibly going into remission - I'm not convinced and really would like her numbers lower so will still test her. If they creep up then it will be back on insulin but I suspect the Applaws is keeping her sugars low so that when she has insulin they pull them down too much.

If you like I can send you some of the pate flavours to see if Lila would like them? Save you buying a batch.

I used this to find food that I felt would be practical and easy to get hold of:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1J5JpMe6TDXrHq_aTl9hUtHy6Gs9oRBqlz4nPGKxtySA/pubhtml

16. Ann & Liz

Ann & Liz Member

Thank you for your kind offer we did feed Lila the Applaws pate before we switched to Lily's Kitchen, so we have some trays left. We have some beef and turkey in and I remember she was also on the chicken. Will check it out again but I think the reason we switched was to get a lower protein food as Lila also has some degree of ckd and a lower protein is advisable. It may be that the senior has less protein so may be ok for Lila. Fingers crossed for you and Sky and a possible remission.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2016
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.