Lucky's BG has been up and down

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by ctmorris, Aug 28, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ctmorris

ctmorris Member

She is on Lantus - she got 2 units per my vet's sliding scale this morning when she tested 356 - she just tested at 159. I gave her some carby food in the hopes that would make her not go lower. I recently swapped out her higher carb foods for a low carb diet - I guess with the change in diet I have to find her new "normal".

2. ctmorris

ctmorris Member

Can the heat make their blood sugar regulation change?

3. Cat Ma

Cat Ma Well-Known Member

Picu likes this.
  4. ctmorris

ctmorris Member

Yes I test her 3 times a day with the alpha track 2 she was 256 last night - vet's scale said 1.5 units of lantus - gave her that then this morning she was 356 and scale said 2 units gave her that - then noon she was 159

5. Cat Ma

Cat Ma Well-Known Member

Vet readings are usually higher, especially with a stressed cat. Home testing is more accurate.

It will help us help you more easily if you can add info to your signature line so we don't have to ask you the same questions over and over :).

Click on your name/profile, then click on signature and add the following: Name of cat, date she was diagnosed, insulin, dose, food feeding, and any other medical conditions if applicable. Then press save.

Also, it will be very helpful to create a spreadsheet. Instructions for that are here: http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/...te-a-ss-and-link-it-in-your-signature.130337/

If you need help with the spreadsheet, let us know. The spreadsheet will be very helpful when you post for help in the Lantus forum and in the Main Forum.

Lantus forum: http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/forums/lantus-glargine-levemir-detemir.9/

6. Cat Ma

Cat Ma Well-Known Member

7. Shiloh & Rhonda (GA)

Shiloh & Rhonda (GA) Well-Known Member

Lantus should not be administered on a sliding scale. Since it is a depot insulin, it is most efficient at the same dose morning and evening. Varying the dose will cause a roller coaster effect.

8. Critter Mom

Critter Mom Well-Known Member

(Emphasis mine.)

That could be part of your problem. As Rhonda has advised above Lantus is a depot insulin. Depot insulins gradually build up a deposit in the cat's body - a bit like a mini 'chemical pancreas'. The objective is to gradually build up the depot to the point where the cat runs in well-regulated numbers 24/7 and the daily doses 'top up' what has been used by the cat's body, hence it works best when dosed consistently, not on a sliding scale. (The latter dosing method is more suited to Prozinc, an 'in-out' insulin, where typically all of the insulin given is completely used up during the following 12 hours.) Because of the depot nature of Lantus, it can take a number of days before the effects of a particular dose can be properly assessed, since the depot needs time to adjust (and so does the cat's body).

I've uploaded a copy of the Roomp-Rand peer-reviewed article on feline diabetes management with long-acting insulins such as Lantus. It includes their tight regulation protocol* dosing guidelines. It might be a good idea to review the document and maybe use it as a basis for discussion with your vet on how to use Lantus effectively. Hopefully once you get the dosing sorted your cat's regulation will improve. It's a very good insulin for cats.

Mogs

* For information, Tight Regulation is a somewhat aggressive treatment protocol and it does not suit all cats or their caregivers. FDMB also has a less aggressive 'Start Low, Go Slow' protocol for Lantus that better suits some cats' and caregivers' needs and situations.

Attached Files:

9. ctmorris

ctmorris Member

Thank you so much for this! Reading it now

Critter Mom likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.