Lucy needs a new home...

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by LucyCat, Aug 25, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LucyCat

LucyCat Member

We have determined that we cannot keep Lucy. If you know of anyone that would be willing to adopt a Diabetic kitty, please let me know asap. She is on 1.75 units of Lantus twice daily. She is on her way down in doses. She is a great cat that loves other cats and is good with children. She dislikes dogs. She is located in Lincoln, NE.

Thank you.

2. Hillary & Maui (GA)

Hillary & Maui (GA) Well-Known Member

Are you willing to tell us why you cannot keep her?

Can you provide more information about her? Age, coloring, how you got her, any additional health issues, etc. See that is in your profile in signature.....

Did you contact DCIN? They may be able to assist you.

In looking at her ss - I see that you are not testing during each cycle. Are you able to get more tests in? If you can get her into remission and diet controlled, it will be much easier to find her a new place to live.

3. MelissaEbby

MelissaEbby Member

Hi, I'm in Omaha Ne, and my sister is in Lincoln. I will contact her and see if she knows anyone.

As much as I wish I could adopt her, it probably isn't the best idea, as I'm already having a hard time regulating Ebby, and I mainly wouldn't want to upset her with another cat. Gosh, I'm torn though...my emotional side says take her, and my rational side says I just can't take on another one. Is there anyone in Omaha that you know that might take her if I were to help them learn how to manage the diabetes...testing, shooting, etc.?

Can you talk a little about the peeing? Does it seem to just happen when her BG numbers are high, or is it more of a marking thing? Other than the diabetes, are there any other known health issues?

4. LucyCat

LucyCat Member

I don't have any family in Nebraska. My family is all out on the East coast...and frankly they are all allergic to cats so they are unable to help me out.

Her peeing has stopped. That was an issue when we were using ProZinc and she was unresponsive to that. She does have some occasional peeing...like the other day...but I think that was because the litter box hadn't been cleaned out (because we didn't have any replacement litter and kept forgetting to go to the store). It is not a marking issue. She has had a couple of different UTIs that were causing urination issues. So, I can say when she has a UTI you will know because she will pee on things. We also had a baby and she was peeing on the baby's things so I don't know if that was behavioral or to get our attention because she was sick.

She gets a long great with other cats. We have 1 and a half pens of Lantus and about 250 testing strips. I don't know if that is information that would help you decide. DCIN has been purchasing the testing strips for us and donated both Lantus pens to us as well. They have reimbursed for syringes too. I don't know if that is something they would continue to do with the person that adopts her.

My husband and I are both teachers and we have a 5 month old. Our family's both live out of town so we travel a lot. We'd like to travel more but can't because of Lucy. It's expensive to find cat sitters. It's expensive to feed wet only. It's nerve racking not being home to test her and it's difficult to be so restricted because we have to shoot twice a day. I am not making excuses...but someone on here asked why we decided to give her up. The simple answer is that we just don't have the time to commit to Lucy. I'm a new mom and I want to invest my available time in my baby, not my cat. I know that sounds horrible and even I can't believe I feel this way but I'm starting to almost resent Lucy for how much effort she is taking...I have another special needs cat too (she has Pemphigus) and she is also expensive...nothing I can say will make any cat lover understand. We just can't do it anymore. You probably just lost a lot of respect for me. I understand...I probably would have felt the same way. I have stood by Lucy for 7 years...Diabetes is just too difficult to keep up with.

She also randomly vomits. The vet says it's related to GERD. Pepcid AC helps control that. This morning there was puke everywhere. On/in my shoes...on/in my purse...on/in my baby's jumper. I know she can't help that...and I feel bad for her. I feel like nothing I can do is really helping her...there are times when I feel like it's cruel to even keep her alive. It can't feel good to have all these issues. I feel like I can't put her down though so I'm trying to find her a new home. Lucy has been a very adaptable kitty. She was great when we moved out to San Diego, she was great in all my homes throughout college, she was great when we had to live with my parents and she's been in 3 different homes here in Lincoln...she is not a "typical" cat because she is adaptable and she adjusts to new places. Obviously I love Lucy and this is very hard but it's a decision I am going to stand by no matter what judgement people decide to pass on me.

Please let me know if you have any other questions.

Melissa, if you want to come meet Lucy, I am totally open to that...I will warn you though, you will fall in love with her instantly. She knows cat lovers from non cat lovers and she will be rubbing on you and showing off for you right away.

5. Hillary & Maui (GA)

THank you for your openess and honesty.

Yes, there may be people who come on here and write not so nice things. THat is a fact that may happen and that you will need to be prepared for. At this point the important thing is to find Lucy a new home. Bashing, being mean, saying negative things will not help with finding a new home.

It doesn't matter what we may think or feel, we are not in your situation and it is not right to judge.

By coming here and working with DCIN, you have demonstrated that you want to find her a loving home and you just didn't dump her or take her to a shelter (that may not take her).

The information you provided will certainly help in finding her a new home.

So, let's focus on that - coming up with ideas and possible people who can help.

Again thank you for your honesty.

6. LucyCat

LucyCat Member

Thanks.

I got Lucy from a shelter and I vowed I would never return her. I am sticking by that vow. Please let me know if I can answer any other questions.

Also, besides Lucy's Diabetes, she has an occasional eye issue. It resolves itself but occasionally her eye will get goopy. One vet said it may be feline herpes but I think she just gets hairs in her eyes sometimes and it gets junky because her eye is just trying to get the hair out...happens to me too!

She has her front claws too. I don't believe in declawing and would never surrender her to anyone that planned on doing that. She doesn't ever scratch things that don't belong to her. She scratches her cat trees and toys and that is it. She is not a fan of being brushed but tolerates it when you hold her. She LOVES playing with lasers. She likes to sleep in our bed with us. She LOVES her chicken treats...which is how I lure her for testing/shooting. She comes to whistles :) She LOVES belly rubs.

I would give her new a home her traveling case as she loves that and sleeps in it often...any toys and even our cat tree. Obviously the 2 pens of Lantus and all testing supplies would go too.

7. MelissaEbby

MelissaEbby Member

I don't judge you at all for making this decision, and have empathy for you, as I know it probably wasn't easy to decide. By acknowledging that you are unable to give her the care she deserves, in itself, is a very loving thing to do.

I've been thinking about Lucy all day....she reminds me so much of Ebby, and her brother Babo. Our kitty Babo sounds a lot like Lucy. He loves all creatures and other kitties instantly. Ebby, on the other hand, doesn't seem to warm up to other cats, and I need to be really careful about any additional stress I cause her since her diabetes is still not regulated. And then there is the DH problem. He would think I lost my mind!

I did contact my sister in Lincoln, and she is sending the info to a friend of hers that volunteers at the no kill shelter, and has cared for sick animals. I am also going to casually mention this to my DH when he gets home, and see how he reacts. I don't think he will go for it though....again he'll think I'm crazy.

So, let me think about all of this, and I'll also touch base with friends in Omaha, and see if I can find anyone.

8. MelissaEbby

MelissaEbby Member

Oh, no this is getting harder...this is exactly what Ebby does too!

9. Hope + (((Baby)))GA

Hope + (((Baby)))GA Well-Known Member

Oh, go for it and at least visit Lucy cat_pet_icon

10. Hillary & Maui (GA)

Be sure to show your hubby her photo! And remember you already have one diabetic, so taking care of another one is pretty easy and maybe just maybe she'll be broken when you get her, or soon after! It seems many cats associated with DCIN get broken! Lucy might be one of those.... ;-)

11. LucyCat

LucyCat Member

:) You are all so amazing. Thank you for your support. I totally understand about the DH...that's been a VERY stressful part of all of this...

I wonder if your sister's friend at the local no kill is the woman that I have been in contact with. I contacted them about rehoming but they don't have good luck with Diabetics...

Let me know how the convo with your DH goes :)

12. LucyCat

LucyCat Member

Oh, and another adorable thing she does is she stretches when you pick her up under her arms. It's so cute! She shakes from it she enjoys the stretch so much. If I do that to my other cat she just looks awkward and is like, "what are you doing to me?"

She also LOVES being by windows or even time outside. I have put flee meds on her before and allowed her to browse outside in the backyard. She doesn't run away and comes right when you call her in. She has hunted down a poor chipmunk once though...broke my heart but she was very proud to show it off.

She tolerates baths and is perfectly behaved when getting her nails/claws trimmed.

She greets you every morning with a meeeeow and a rub around your ankles.

When she plays with her toys she "kills" them by attacking them with her back feet which I find pretty hilarious.

She purrs very loudly when getting rubbed down and getting love. She will just melt into your hands when she is pet down.

13. MelissaEbby

MelissaEbby Member

Well, talked to DH, and just like I figured, he strongly advises against this and thinks Ebby would hate having a new cat around, especially right now...He agrees Lucy is sooooo cute. I gave this so much thought, and tried to think of ways I could keep Lucy separated from Ebby for awhile, but in our small house I just don't see a good solution to this. It's less about having another diabetic, and more about the stress another cat might cause Ebby. I'm trying so hard to get her regulated, and knowing how she feels about other cats, I can't risk the stress it might cause her. :sad: I really wish I could help, Lucy sounds like such a sweetie.

I'm not sure which shelter you talked to, but the one my sister's friend volunteers at is called the cat house. Their email is intake@thecathouse.org. They supposedly have a network of foster parents too. Her friend said she'd be tempted to take Lucy, but is teaching out of town and has a really erratic schedule right now.

I will continue to ask around. I have a friend here in Omaha that does work with the Humane Society...maybe she'll have some connections. What about sending something out via Facebook? Like a page with all of those cute pictures of Lucy. I'd be happy to share with all my friends here, and again, would offer to help anyone in Omaha get started with the diabetes care.

14. Hillary & Maui (GA)

Melissa - I get what you are saying about caring for who you already have and their needs come first. I feel the same way with my girls. Don't feel bad, you gave it serious consideration and now you know for sure what is in the best interest of your family, so as much as you may be tempted, you know what is best for them.

15. Angela & Blackie & 3 Others

Angela & Blackie & 3 Others Well-Known Member

I understand where you're coming from. I just hope that someone will help by taking over Lucy's care. She deserves that much. Wishing you good luck with your search.

16. MelissaEbby

MelissaEbby Member

Thanks Hillary, it was hard for me to decide this, but yes, I have to do what's best for Ebby right now, and just decided that we can't risk the upset it might cause her. Well, thanks again for the reassurance.

17. MelissaEbby

MelissaEbby Member

Another possible resource here in Omaha is www.heartlandcats.org. They take in hard to place cats and find them homes with senior citizens, and even offer free supplies and vet care in exchange for a good home. I know that she takes in diabetics and uses lantus, as I had actually contacted her about donating by old ProZinc. I don't know how successful she has been with finding the diabetics homes, but might be worth contacting her.

Here is a link to an article about heartland cats:
    http://www.omaha.com/article/20121020/N ... 09995/1685

18. LucyCat

LucyCat Member

I have a Facebook post on the DCIN page. Thanks anyway.

19. mariko

mariko Well-Known Member

Hi Becky,

Have you had any success?

Another good way to find a new home is to make a poster (like the one people make when their pets go missing), and make a lot of copies, and ask the local pet supplies stores and vet clinics to display it.
    It'll take some of your time initially, but I think it's worth a shot.
    I've seen many "looking for new home" posters at pet stores and vet over the years.

I'm going to cross-post this in LL Tight Regulation to see if anyone has any idea.
    I really wish you'll find a good home for Lucy.

20. LucyCat

LucyCat Member

Hi, no I haven't had any luck yet. I don't think there are many people out there that are exactly looking for a cat with this type of care required. I can understand that.

21. Tara & Buster

Tara & Buster Well-Known Member

I don't mean to volunteer anyone, but maybe try sending a PM to MommaofMuse?? She lives in Hastings and might have some connections. She also has several cats - a few diabetic. I hope you can find a good home for Lucy. I know this must be very hard for you. :YMHUG:

22. LucyCat

LucyCat Member

Tara,

I just sent her a PM so we'll see what she has to say. Thanks for the hope. :)

Becky

23. MommaOfMuse

MommaOfMuse Well-Known Member

Sorry haven't been around much the last couple months....Are you still looking for a home for Lucy? If so let me know I'm in Hastings Nebraska and have 2 diabetic cats of my own as well as 12 happy and healthy cats. While I'm pretty sure DH will not let us take her in as an adoption if needed we could probably foster her for you until you could either reclaim her or find a furever home.

Mel, Maxwell, Autumn & The Fur Gang

24. onyxinky

onyxinky New Member

To Lucy's owner~
    Unfortunately I can't help with adopting Lucy but I did notice in one of your posts that one of your other cats has pemphigus. My cat was just diagnosed in April with this horrible disease. I was just curious what type of regimen your cat is on, what meds. etc if you wouldn't mind. To make a long story short it took forever for her to be diagnosed so she was in pretty rough shape by the time she was diagnosed. Right now she is taking a 0.75 mg triamcinolone daily and Atopica for cats every 3rd day. Currently we are in remission but we are actively trying to get the triamcinolone down to a smaller dose since we're borderline diabetic right now in the high 200s/300s.

Anyway, just was curious as although this autoimmune disease is common for cats as far as diseases go, there isn't a ton of advise about it online.

Thanks for your time! :)

25. MommaOfMuse

Becky

I talked to my DH and if you can't find a home for Lucy she is welcome in our home. :D Our only reservation is that you said that she dislikes dogs and we have a 97lb shepherd mix that thinks he is a cat and loves all his kitties who he considers his pack, now we do have a couple of cats that don't feel the same way about him...lol but they do all peacefully coexist in our home.

To give you a little back ground on us...We have 14 cats all of who eat nothing but what our two diabetics eat which is a combination of Friskies Pate and Fancy Feast. I have owned 4 diabetics in all, although sadly I have lost 2 to things other than diabetes, Muse (who lead me to this board died of cancer, and Musette was misdiagnoised at an ER vet and passed away due to anemia that the vet failed to catch and wasn't treating. Of my two current Diabetics (both adopted from DCIN) Maxwell is going on 3 years now of being in remission and OTJ and Autumn will forever be on insulin but she is well regulated on 1u of insulin twice a day. I have lots of experience treating diabetics with both Lantus and Levemir so I know the depot insulins well. I'm a stay at home fur mom and since we have a small petting zoo (as the grandkids call our house) travel isn't really anything we even consider...lol We also have 1 cat that is deaf as well so very versed in dealing special needs kitties.

Like I said Lucy is welcome to come live with us, but since we do have a dog and Lucy isn't fond of them that we take her in as foster to begin with and see how well she does with the drooler, if they can find a happy medium where they can coexist in the same household then we would of course adopt her out-right if they just can't make a go of it then we would simple seperate them and ask that a better home be found for Lucy where she can live dog free. There is also an excellent No Kill shelter here in Hastings if all else fails called Start Over Rover and they are a true No Kill as they do take in Diabetics (I know I'm the one that goes in when they have one to give shots and test). So that could also be an option if you don't think our home would be suitable.

26. Hillary & Maui (GA)

Mel is wonderful and a great care giver. Please talk with her, meet her and see for yourself.

27. PeterDevonMocha

PeterDevonMocha Well-Known Member

Mel, that is so awesome of you to open your heart and home to another special needs kitty .. You and your DH are amazing people!

28. RobinCot

RobinCot Well-Known Member

I second what Peter said... bless you for being so kindhearted.

29. Deb & Spot

Deb & Spot Well-Known Member

drinking24 Raising a glass of bubbly to toast Mel for being such a wonderful fur person! I hope that Lucy will adapt to the drooler and you guys can become one happy family! Mel, thanks for opening your home to yet another special needs kitty. I wish I had the resources and time to do that myself. Oh...and thanks to DH for being so open to the foster/adoption also!

I would also like to say that it was nice reading this post and seeing how everyone banded together to help Lucy and Lucy's mom (Becky, right?) find a new home for Lucy and how nice it was to see that no bashing or nasty words were said. Being animal lovers it is hard to understand why someone would want to give up their kitty, however, also being animal lovers, we know how heartbreaking it can be and how sometimes giving up your fur kid is the best possible solution. Lucy's mom, it took a lot of courage to post on a cat loving board about giving up your fur baby, but in the long run, it has paid off and it was the best thing to do. I applaud you for looking for the best possible solution for Lucy.

Good luck to Lucy, Lucy's mom, and Mel and her petting zoo!!!!

30. jt and trouble (GA)

jt and trouble (GA) Well-Known Member

Mel....I think I'm gonna cry, bless you AND the DH!
    jeanne

31. LucyCat

LucyCat Member

Wow... sorry I haven't been around! This is bittersweet news. I will definitely contact Mel...or Mel, you can connect me. Thank you...wow... I'm in shock... I'm so sad too... hopefully we can connect soon. Thank you.

Becky

32. Hillary & Maui (GA)

Becky - for your security, remember this is the internet and public and anybody can see this - so please remove your phone number from the post - instead send Mel a PM and give her the phone number through that.

33. MommaOfMuse

Becky,

Just because Lucy may be coming to live in a new home doesn't mean that you will lose touch with her. :D Hastings and Lincoln aren't that far apart and you will be welcome to come visit anytime you like as well as we will exchange emails etc and I will keep you updated on her. Sorta like when your child gets married you don't lose the child you just gain a new family...same with Lucy, she and you won't be losing anyone just gainng a bunch more folks that love her and a bunch of furry-in-laws. :lol:

And she is just the right age to fit in nicely with my furkids as with the exception of my two sugar cats everyone else in the household is between 5-7 years old so once we have her feeling in tip top shape again she will have lots and lots of fur-siblings to play with. As right now my youngest is 3 and my oldest Autumn is 16-ish. And by the way she is absolutely drop dead beautiful in her pictures.

And honestly hon, if the time should come that you want her back again she will always be your Lucy, I'm just offering her a place to come where she won't be stuck in a cage and that she can get the care and attention to her condition that she needs. We are just giving her an extended family.

34. Venita

Venita Well-Known Member

35. mariko

mariko Well-Known Member

I am so happy to read all this. :D
    I hope things will work out for Lucy.
    And I'm sure they will.
    Lucy's new home and extended family sound wonderful.
    Mel, you are so wonderful.
    My sugar cat's name is Lucy too, so I feel attached to Becky's Lucy somehow.

36. Tara & Buster

Tara & Buster Well-Known Member

Mel you have a heart of gold! I hope Lucy settles in nicely and everyone hs peace in their hearts.

37. LucyCat

LucyCat Member

I have decided not to place Lucy with Mel. I am so grateful for Mel's HUGE heart and willingness to help so many needy cats...however, Lucy is a very anxious cat and with her health being so fragile right now, I don't think it would be fair to place her in a home with 14 other cats. I will keep Lucy either indefinitely or until the perfect match comes along...I appreciate everyone's support and guidance in this matter and will continue to update Lucy's spreadsheet and love her to bits here at home. I will just deal with my stress that originally sent me searching for a new home on here. I guess I just can't really find it in my heart to let her go.

That being said, I think I'm going to try a new food regimen as well as upping Lucy's dose from 2.0 to 2.25...her numbers have been high and remaining high and I'm not liking that so we shall see if this helps. She never used to puke when she was on dry food and she never had hair balls then either. Since switching her to wet only, she has had major puking problems. I spoke to a woman that has a lot of experience with diabetic cats and volunteers regularly here at the local no kill cat shelter and she said that they have a regulated, OTJ, diabetic that is on part dry MD diabetic food and part wet MD diabetic food. I'm curious if introducing just a tiny bit of the dry MD food may not only help her with the vomiting but also with her "megacolon" issue that is causing massive poops. I was hopeful, initially, that switching to wet food only would dramatically drop her numbers but it didn't and still hasn't. I know that people on here hate dry food but my vet says it's fine, this woman I talk to regularly from the shelter says in her experience it's fine and ECID so I'm curious...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.