Lung-Digit syndrome (cancer)?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Bonnie & Kyndra, Apr 26, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bonnie & Kyndra

Bonnie & Kyndra Member

Hi all,

haven't posted much but I do visit. My 13 year-old cat, Kyndra may have lung-digit syndrome which is an odd cancer (Bronchogenic adenocarcinoma). I say may have b/c the lung x-rays were inconclusive due to her struggling (need to anesthetize). I am wondering first if anyone here has ever heard of this or had experience with it. Seems that the primary cancer is in the lung, but respiratory symptoms do not occur. it metastasizes to the digits (typically weight bearing toes) and by the time these symptoms show the cancer is quite advanced and prognosis is not good.

Kyndra had a toe amputated a few weeks ago, it was dx as a malignant squamous cell carcinoma, lab said good margin was removed but keep an eye for possible future problems. last week I found a lump on her side (no where near foot), it too is same as above. This is when my vet did more research and found this LDS. Kyndra now seems to have sensitivity in two more feet.

The recommendation now is to anesthetize, x-ray lung, if nothing there remove lump on side and aspirate regional lymph nodes. While under she would also x-ray her other feet to see if there are in fact tumors developing. Kyndra's foot problem began months ago and so much was vague (this seems typical - I have read a lot, both scientific and anecdotal).

Right now, because she has been thru hell I am just going to sit with this thru the weekend and decide what to do. I know it seems that the lung x-ray is a "must do" but we are not sure if putting her thru all above is in her best interest (putting under, another surgery, more x-rays) where waiting for progressive symptoms may tell more. On top of all, I am due to have carpal tunnel surgery in 2 weeks, but may postpone, b/c if I will be caring for, and possibly losing, my dear girl I cannot do it one handed.

thanks for being here - even if I don't always show up to say...

here are some links to lds:
    http://vsso.org/Lung_Tumors_-_Feline.html
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/7777837
    http://veterinarycalendar.dvm360.com/avhc/article/articleDetail.jsp?id=676827&pageID=1&sk=&date=

2. hmjohnston

hmjohnston Well-Known Member

Poor Kyndra (and Bonnie, too)

I have never even heard of it, so just want to say I'm sending healing vibes and prayers your way.

3. PeterDevonMocha

PeterDevonMocha Well-Known Member

I've also never heard of this, but will send my healing thoughts and prayers your way ..

4. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

{{hugs}}

Unfortunately, what I understood of what I read is pretty grim.

If it started as a lung tumor, it has spread to the foot. This means metastasis, which makes it harder to manage. You may have anywhere from 2 months to just under 2 years at the most, depending on how fast it is moving.

5. Melanie and Smokey

Melanie and Smokey Well-Known Member

I have never heard of it, but I am sorry that your Kendra is dealing with so much. If it is what she is dealing with, it sounds like it may be pretty advanced at this stage. Would having the xrays and other tests cause you make a different decision than if you didn't and watched for more progressive symptoms? If the answer is yes, then I would go with the tests. If the answer is no, then I wouldn't put her through tests that won't change anything.

Many healing thoughts and hopes that you have many more good days with your girl.

6. terri1962

terri1962 Well-Known Member

I had a kitty that had lung cancer here is a group to join that can better explain.

http://pets.groups.yahoo.com/group/feline-cancer/

Please try to join them as they are a great support and can explain this more in detail. Prayers for your kitty.

Terri

7. Bonnie & Kyndra

Bonnie & Kyndra Member

thanks to everyone for their support.
    yes, this seems to be the case as the by the time the problems in the digits occur it has made its way thru her system. What an odd, and unfair cancer. Not that any cancer is "fair" but with some others you at least have a shot at catching it early. This is so insidious

That is what I am leaning toward, not doing anything. She now has sensitivity in two more feet. Even if the lung is not involved we cannot just keep taking off toes. I think I will postpone my CTS surgery (though I risk my own nerve damage) as I cannot see caring, and hugging, her with one hand. I will be so frustrated with this inconvenience as it is I am afraid how I will be emotionally.

Terri, thank you so much for the link, I was looking for a forum on feline cancer. I have requested to join.

Bonnie & Kyndra

8. nwnews

nwnews Member

HI Bonnie, I'm so sorry your having this happen. I don't know anything about this type of cancer but I can relate to the difficult decision of further testing or not. My cat was 18 years old and losing weight. An ultrasound showed a slight thickening around the intestines but vet could not determine if it was cancer or inflammatory bowel disease. The only way to know for sure was to do an endoscopy which requires full anesthesia. To complicate matters Sitka has advanced chronic renal failure and vet said she couldn't guarantee Sitka would make it through the procedure. So after some thought I decided no scope - a) neither issue could be cured and b) I didn't want to risk her dying on the table. We went with medicating for inflammatory bowel disease and I'm happy to say that Sitka has been stable a year and a half so it looks like we picked the right issue to treat. Even if she does have a slow growing cancer I'm glad I made the decision I did - at this point in her life Sitka didn't need the stress. I know that you want the best for you kitty and if that is just making her comfortable for the time she has left its enough. Jan

9. arozeboom

arozeboom Well-Known Member

Hi Bonnie.
    Our civie, Midgie, was just diagnosed with a primary lung tumor. We don't have a lot of details just yet.
    I saw you over on the feline cancer Yahoo group and just wanted to say hi.

Amy

10. Bonnie & Kyndra

Bonnie & Kyndra Member

Hi Amy,

Sorting thru email and just saw now that you'd replied. I have been meaning to post both here and the feline cancer board. Sometimes I think have questions, other times I think I want support, then I just go off and cry or hug my animals.

I am really sorry for you and Midge. Kyndra had not been showing any respiratory signs (labored breathing, etc.) but the last few days she seems to have some shallow breathing and does not go far before laying down, However, her BG has been really high (387 last night and 362 today) and her water intake excessive (to the point I was thinking renal failure - hanging head over bowl not drinking, laying on floor to drink.) She peed on the bed today in her sleep. We are increasing her Lantus to 2.5 units 2x/day. It is hard to know how much of this is the cancer and how much the diabetes. Her eating is sporadic so her insulin has not been timed as consistently as before.

As for the cancer, the tumors on her feet are the real burden. One erupted with a vengeance where her toe was amputated. I have to change bandages almost daily. I am still out of work and try to only go to vet if I really have to. My vet has been terrific.

How was Midge dx? What signs was she showing? We only know Kyndra has the lung tumors as a follow-up to determine this is in fact lung-digit syndrome. I want to tell the world about this little known cancer. I look back (now) at the earliest signs, but even with that knowledge, once it has metastasized to the feet it is in the system.

I am gladyou reached out, it may inspire me to reach back :)

Bonnie and the girls (and boys)

Kyndra and Darwin
    [​IMG]

11. arozeboom

arozeboom Well-Known Member

Hi Bonnie.

Wow, Kyndra looks just like our Ruby! They could be sisters.

Midgie is a scrawny little thing, barely 6 lbs. A few weeks ago, after she coughed some ginormous hairballs, I noticed she was breathing a little heavier than normal. I think because she's so skinny, its more obvious than it would be on a larger cat. All of the vets we've seen so far have said they're surprised we noticed anything. While on this odyssey with Ruby, I've started being hyper-aware of their behavior. Other than that, Midgie isn't acting much differently than normal. For the most part she's still eating and playing like nothing is amiss. She's a little quieter but that could be because Ru bullies her every time we get back from a vet appointment.

Once I noticed the breathing, we took her to our regular vet. Her blood and urine all came back clear. No fever, heart rate good, not dehydrated. The x-rays said something different. There is a small (1.5cm x1.5cm) mass in her left caudal lobe. She's also got scoliosis and her ribs are thicker on one side than the other. That on its own is no big deal (we never even noticed it) but because of the wonky ribs, its putting some extra pressure on her lung.

Our regular vet sent us off to Dr. H, a more advanced vet. He looked at the x-ray and sent us off to Dr. B for a CT scan. Dr B did it for a fraction (less than $500) of what Dr. H would charge (around $2,000). So far we know it seems to be a primary tumor and doesn't seem to have spread to or from anywhere else. Both Drs B & H are recommending surgery, even though they won't say exactly what we're dealing with. We have an appointment with Dr D tomorrow morning. She's a surgeon. We haven't been able to get many answers to our questions yet so I hope she's prepared because I've got a long list of them ready. We haven't made any decisions on surgery yet, but I think we have decided that we won't go the chemo route, if its offered. I don't think its very effective for lung cancers and I don't want to make her feel worse in an effort to keep her with us for a little longer. I don't want that for her.

I'm so sorry you're dealing with all of this, too. I wouldn't say we're exactly lucky that we don't have to deal with diabetes on top of this but I guess in a way we are. All I know is that I want some answers. This is breaking my heart. I feel like I just managed to get Ru fixed and things were looking up then we got hit in the gut with this crap. And I'm not sure I'm going to be able to fix this one.

I wish there was a community for cancer like FDMB. I'm not knocking the Yahoo group, but I just don't get the welcome feeling that I found here. Feel free to PM me anytime you need to talk.

Hang in there.
    Amy

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.