Lynx and I would like to say hello.

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by RuthannGray722, Jan 29, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RuthannGray722

RuthannGray722 New Member

My name is Ruthann and I have a senior cat (found as a stray in 2003 at about age 3) named Lynx. He was diagnosed with Diabetes in September, 2014. My vet had him regulated with just a special diet for a little over a year. In the past few months he has begun to decline. I am now using insulin (.4 units) twice daily. He doesn't like the shots and hides from me. This has created more problems because I didn't have time to move furniture and to chase him all over the house before work. He almost died and I now have to keep him in his own room. He is eating well and putting on a bit of weight again, but his water consumption has increased again. I'm starting to feel his quality of life is deteriorating and I don't know how much longer he has left. Has anyone experienced the stages of Diabetes in a senior cat? How much time do I have left with him? I'm doing the best I can and what my vet tells me to do. I just don't want to be selfish and prolong his life if he is suffering. Thanks for any advice and info. offered.

2. Robert and Echo

Robert and Echo Administrator Staff Member Moderator

Welcome! It's a tough question you've asked, and you may get a few more answers by posting about senior cats in the Main Health forum. But there will be a few more questions, such as do you home-test for BG levels, why did he almost die (diabetes related or something else?) and what kind of insulin?

3. Vyktors Mum

Vyktors Mum Well-Known Member

Vyktor was diagnosed at 15 and in remission before he was 16, he's now 18 1/2 and doing just fine :) I don't know how old your senior is but properly managed (which we can help you with) diabetes doesn't mean the end :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.