Mac just diagnosed - pretty scared

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by dustygoddess, Aug 25, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dustygoddess

dustygoddess New Member

Hi - My cat Mac - neutered male - was just diagnosed; took him to the vet because there was a lot of pee in the litter box and he was drinking like crazy. He is a big cat when about 18lb vet put him on metabolic diet (which he disliked) and he ballooned to 22lb (he was eating a combo of metabolic and FF Gravy/Pate).

I'm feeling horribly guilty; I feel like I gave him diabetes by making hm too fat.

He was tested at the vet's and his BG was 370. He was put on PZI - 1.5 units. I took away his metabolic and left him to eat FF Pate, which he likes. He was given PZI 1.5 units the first evening, and I was told to test the following day, 6 hours after food/dose.

His numbers look like this (6 hours after):
    Day 1 - 323
    Day 2 - 222
    (He was very drowsy after dosage on day 2 so I called the vet's office and reduced dose to 1 unit)
    Day 3 - 273
    Day 4 - 333 (was very stressed out during blood draw, threw up right after)

What's happening with him?

Thanks!

2. Sharon14

Sharon14 Well-Known Member

Welcome! I’m so glad you’re testing. To get a better picture of what’s going on, you should get a test before feeding and giving insulin, then another test or two midcycle so we can see how well the insulin is working. I see you posted in the prozinc forum, that’s the best place for dosing info, but if you don’t get a response, you can also post on the Main Health Forum. Be sure to read the yellow stickies at the top of the prozinc page page, there’s some great info in them!

3. Idjit's mom

Idjit's mom Well-Known Member

Hi and welcome to FDMB. Take a deep breath and relax just a little bit, because you have found a caring, supportive and educational resource for Mac and yourself.

JanetNJ gave you the link to the spreadsheet set up instructions in her response in the Prozinc forum,, and that's going to help so much to see the patterns you get when you record those testing results. If you need help with setting up the spreadsheet we have members that can do that or set it up for you, if need be.

Here's a link that will help you understand how the spreadsheet looks and how to understand all the columns and cells. The spreadsheet is already formatted for you, all you need do is plug in the numbers and add your comments about any changes, when and how much you fed etc.

Understanding the spreadsheet

Please create a signature so that we can see Mac's information each time you post. Then you won't have to repeat that information over and over.
    Setting up your signature (light grey text under a post). Here's how:
    click on your name in the upper right corner of this page
    click on "signature" in the menu that drops down
    type the following in the box that opens: kitty's name/age/date of diabetes diagnosis/insulin you're using and dosage amount /glucose meter you're using/what he eats/any other meds or health issues he has. You can add your name, and a geographic location (sometimes the country/time zone matters) Be sure to SAVE when you are finished.

We understand it's confusing, a bit bewildering and also scary when you first get the diagnosis, realize that you are going to be injecting insulin and testing the blood sugar. It gets easier and does become part of your routine. You are already doing very well with beginning home testing, changing the diet and being careful with the insulin dose. Three huge wins so far! So, again, you can relax a bit and begin reading and absorbing the information in the stickies at the top of the Prozinc forum.

Best wishes going forward :cat:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.