Magellan part 2

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Julia Rae, Jan 3, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Julia Rae

Julia Rae Well-Known Member

After taking Magellan to the vet some very simple testing I learned little to nothing new. Magellan is a 16 year old overweight neutered ginger tom with moderate tarter build up. The vet does not believe that it would be a good idea to sedate him for dental work. As it would be too high a risk considering his age.
    His glucose numbers where high but how much of this was do to vet/ dog stress, (320) and how much was/is due to falling off the wagon or swimming into waters too deep.
    Right now he is hiding someplace in my apt and sulking. I plan on letting him do so to his harts content. My long term plans are to do a glucose curve on him over the weekend.. Any one have idea's on what could have set him off his remission??? as well as causing his very nasty breath. It smells very sour almost bitter, no smell of rot or infection. His poop is firm and not off smelling nor is his pee and he has not really increased his water in take not like when he was diagnosed. But he is aggressively hungry all the time, I am not sure what to do and the vet is of little help seems that he does hold a grudge on my refusal to follow his instruction on his diagnosis... what can I say :bookworm::bookworm::bookworm::bookworm::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::blackeye::blackeye::blackeye::blackeye::blackeye:

2. Deb & Wink

Deb & Wink Well-Known Member

You say his is overweight. That can cause a cat to fall out of remission.

Nasty breath (halitosis) is likely periodontal (gum) disease or rotting teeth that need to be pulled. That can also cause a cat to fall out of remission.

Pancreatitis, UTI, ear infection, etc can cause loss of remission.

Steroid use, ate the dog's food, ate some people food. Chewed through the bag of potato chips or the bread and helped himself to all those carbs he had been missing. Treats might have been high in carbs.

Julia Rae likes this.
  3. Lisa and Witn (GA)

Lisa and Witn (GA) Well-Known Member

There are several senior cats on this site that have had dentals. Did the vet do blood tests to make that determination or just decided because of his age? What concerns me is if he has severe periodontal disease, it will be painful for him and eventually spread through his body. It will also make it harder to control his diabetes. You may want to get a second opinion about having a dental done.

Julia Rae likes this.
  4. Julia Rae

Yes I understand the concepts, but Magellan is not that over weight maybe 6 lbs.... and I have smelt periodontal disease and he does not have that smell yet.. the vet suggested wipes and brushing his teeth.. He has had no steroid use, nor access to dry food at all. The only foods he might have had access to is lickings from tv dinners that Jim likes to eat. As for treats the only ones he gets are freeze dried meat chunks.

5. Julia Rae

I am not totally sure why he was against the cleaning other than his old age and his resentment of me. Yet when I wipe his gums he really dose not fight me and it does not seem to hurt. As for getting another vet to look at him.. that has been a big part of the problem as he is the only low cost vet in the area. I will be looking into pixie project to see what they can do to assist me and Magellan. So for the time being it is me , Magellan and you guys dealing with his diabetes. The product I'm using is true blue dental wipes good for cats and dogs.

6. Deb & Wink

Deb & Wink Well-Known Member

Most domestic cats should weigh around 10 lbs for a healthy, ideal weight. Varies of course with some breeds like persians 5-6 pounds and Maine coon cats 20+. (info from this article.)

So if Magellan should be 10 pounds, then those extra 6 pounds on him means he weighs 60% more than he should.

That's like a person that should weigh 100 pounds weighing 160 pounds.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.