Maggots results are in

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by MAGGOT THE CAT, Mar 8, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MAGGOT THE CAT

MAGGOT THE CAT New Member

Well just got back from the vets , his fructosmine reading came back at 660 and slight Lipaemia , had a practice injection on him which he nearly jumped through the roof . Been given Royal Canin diabetic wet food to introduce to him gradually , back Tuesday for another go at the injections , not sure how long before we start with the insulin injections

2. Tracey&Jones (GA)

Tracey&Jones (GA) Well-Known Member

It went that well did it? Lots of time, patience and love. Is there a treat or toy that he goes snaky for to help distract him?

I find the more relaxed Jones is, the bigger the tent I can make, then I can pull it up so his skin is tight and inject. He still lets me know hurts every now or again but for the most part he doesn't even flinch.

3. MAGGOT THE CAT

i think he may have been a bit stressed as he had been there all day with them trying to get a urine sample , he wasnt a happy chappy at all when i got there , but i have to learn how to do it and then go from there

Tracey&Jones (GA) likes this.
  4. Tracey&Jones (GA)

You can pretend practice with him at him. Get used to handling him and handling the syringe.

beggargirl likes this.
  5. MAGGOT THE CAT

must admit i found the pen a bit easier , other thing that is worrying me if there a prob during the day as we both work all day

6. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

Just dose conservatively and get as many tests in as you can to find the best and safest dose. I can't test during the day unless I have off or the weekend, so I shoot 5:30/5:30 and in the morning can usually get a +2, but in the evening I can get a more helpful +4 before bed. Then weekends I get extra tests in throughout the day. Leave some extra wet food out to graze on So he can eat when he needs to.

7. JanetNJ

The problem with the pens is you can adjust the dose in 0.25 increments, only half units. You can use a syringe with them though.

8. MAGGOT THE CAT

yeh i noticed that with the pen , the vet said his dose would be 1.25 to start with for the 1st month , then do more tests then to see if that is ok , nothing has been said about home tests though , so not sure what to do about that

9. Tracey&Jones (GA)

I wouldn't shoot blind. I did that to start with too. I ended up on a dose that was too high.

10. MAGGOT THE CAT

What do you think i should do ? do a lower dose than she says to sart with ? now i am worried ..................

11. JanetNJ

Typical starting dose is 1 unit, so 1.25 isn't far off. Given the super high reading I think 1.25 is ok. Is he still at the vet? I would start injections right away! Ketones can develop quickly at these levels!

If I were you id pop over to Walmart and get

1. Relion micro or confirm meter or some other brand that requires a 0.3 sample
    2. Box of 100 extra test strips
    3. Box of 100 28 or 26 gauge lancets
    4. Cotton cosmetic rounds
    5. Neosporin ointment with pain relief
    6. Ketone testing strips
    7. Fancy feast classic foods. No dry or gravy
    8. treat for yourself

Start insulin today. Try to test the ketones. Anything above a trace take immediately to the vet. Don't wait until Tuesday to start insulin, he needs it now !

12. JanetNJ

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.