Malcolm prozinc since 15 Dec 2014 test BG - need a change

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Cmalcolm, Apr 4, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cmalcolm

Cmalcolm New Member

Good Afternoon,
    I have been testing BG on Malcolm beginning January 2015! Malcolm NM 9 years old diagnosed 15 Dec 2014, working on the web changed wet food diet from Homestyle to Hound & Gatos sal...chic/sal/lamb...lamb; Tiki Cat puka/puka & koolina luau; plus ground up Momentum turkey heart and chicken breast in food. Use freeze dried chicken niblets after BG draw for insulin dosage. I try to follow a +8 on dosing. Todays numbers 469/26.06 6:35am....dosage 2.6u / 6.5 DTA....+2.5 BG 282/ 15.67....no insulin too soon/ 12:55pm 287/15.94...no dosage, using PROZINC only. Always refrigerated, latest purchased Feb 2015.

I think I need to change his insulin type...using diabetic cat care forum also...he is never below 150 except maybe once a week...I test everytime I dose! Help

2. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

He could be having a dose and/or duration problem.
    Can we get you started using our grid to record your glucose tests? It will help us give you better feedback. Instructions are here.

Understanding the spreadsheet/grid:

The colored headings at the top are the ranges of glucose values. They are color-coded to clue you in as to meaning.

Each day is 1 row. Each column stores different data for the day.

From left to right, you enter
    the Date in the first column
    the AMPS (morning pre-shot test) in the 2nd column
    the Units given (turquoise column)

Then, there are 11 columns labeled +1 through +11
    If you test at +5 (5 hours after the shot), you enter the test number in the +5 column
    If you test at +7 (7 hours after the shot), you enter the test number in the +7 column
    and so on.

Halfway across the page is the column for PMPS (evening pre-shot)
    To the right is another turquoise column for Units given at the evening shot.

There is second set of columns labeled +1 through +11
    If you snag a before bed test at +3, you enter the test number in the +3 column.

We separate day and night numbers like that because many cats go lower at night.

It is merely a grid for storing the info; no math required.

3. Elizabeth and Bertie

Elizabeth and Bertie Well-Known Member

Hello to you and Malcolm, and welcome to FDMB. :bighug:

Can I just check that I've understood your numbers correctly?
    What I've understood is that you got a pre-shot blood glucose of 469 (26.06); then, 2.5 hours later got a 282 (15.67); and then 6.5 hours after the shot got a 287 (15.94).
    Is that correct? (Sorry if I've got it wrong....)
    ie. Today's numbers:
    Preshot 469 (26.06) ... 2.6u Prozinc
    +2.5 282 (15.67)
    +6.5 287 (15.94)

Are these numbers typical for Malcolm?

And I do understand that you are aiming to follow a TID (8 hourly) shooting schedule, but have you worked out how long the Prozinc lasts in Malcolm's system, and when the lowest number of the cycle usually is for him (between 5 and 7 hours after the shot?)?

I do agree with BJ (in the previous post) that it would hugely helpful if you could pop your blood glucose results onto our spreadsheet/grid.:)
    It will make it so much easier for you (and anyone helping you) to understand the blood testing data. The spreadsheet will enable you to see many days worth of data at a glance; and it is colour-coded so that it is much easier to spot patterns/trends in the numbers.

Best wishes,

Eliz

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.