Mama Boots' Mama

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by MamaBoots, Mar 17, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MamaBoots

MamaBoots New Member

Hi everybody!

I just found out today my sweet sweet 8.5 year old kitty, Mama Boots, is diabetic. She got a shot in January for dermatitis (which apparently could have been the cause which is very frustrating if it was) and ever since then I noticed she was drinking and urinating much more. I waited it out because I thought it could have just been a side effect but it hasn't stopped. She also started over-grooming herself on one side of her body (anyone else's kitty do this?)

Vet did the blood work today and it looks like she has diabetes. I stumbled upon this site and was hoping I could hear your experiences & learn more information.

What happens if I miss an insulin shot? My work schedule is incredibly inconsistent and I'm afraid of not being able to give her her shot exactly every 12 hours. What about when I go on vacation? Is there special food that helps regulate it? Is treatment very expensive? Will she be able to live a long life? Can I still leave her food out? She's only ever lived that way.

I'm so sad to hear my kitty has this, and honestly, a little agitated/scared about the inconvenience & commitment of it, but I love her so much - she is the biggest love - and depends on her humans so of course I'm happy to do whatever it takes to keep her healthy and happy.

Thank you for your advice!!!

2. Elizabeth and Bertie

Elizabeth and Bertie Well-Known Member

Hello and welcome to FDMB :bighug:

Was Mama Boots given steroids? If so, that may have triggered the diabetes, or, if she already had undiagnosed diabetes the steroids may have elevated her blood glucose further.

A diagnosis of feline diabetes can come as a shock at first. There seems to be a lot to take in. But looking after a diabetic kitty can soon become 'routine'.
    And the the good news is that, with good care, a diabetic cat can often live as long and as happily as a non-diabetic cat. (My cat has been diabetic for 8 years now).

Some cats are on insulin for life, but quite a few cats go into remission (ie, become diet-controlled diabetics), and those with steroid-induced diabetes have a greater chance of becoming diet-controlled.

If she's not yet on insulin then you could try to switch her to a lower carb diet at this point. With some cats this can make quite a difference...

May I ask some questions:
    What is Mama Boots eating at the moment?
    Has she started on insulin (and if so, which one and what dose?)
    Do you know what her blood glucose levels were at diagnosis?

Eliz

3. Vyktors Mum

Vyktors Mum Well-Known Member

You're already doing amazing things for mama boots - by finding this site so quickly :) welcome to the best place you never wanted to be.

I think most of us were terrified and devastated when we first got the diagnosis but we are here to help you.

Eliz has already asked the most pertinent and pressing questions so we await your reply.

You will also want to start preparing yourself for hometesting - seems way too hard at first but it really isn't once you get going. You can start preparing mama boots now by rubbing the edges of her ears and praising her for letting you do it.

4. MamaBoots

MamaBoots New Member

Thank you so much for your support, help, and reply! I can't remember exactly what the shot in January was - I'll have to check the files - but yes I do believe it was some type of steroid.

Before the symptoms came up, she has always been on a dry food diet her whole life. Because I noticed an increase in water intake, I started giving her wet food as well. And after doing my own research yesterday, I have taken away the dry food and only giving her wet food now. Is that right? High protein, low carb is in wet food, correct? The vet (surprisingly) didn't ask me about her diet or tell me to do anything specific, even when I asked. He said there is a good that has slow release carbohydrates that can definitely help, but it was my own research that led me to the no more dry food/only wet food conclusion.

The doctor scheduled the glucose curve for Thursday, where they will keep her for 6 hours and see how she reacts and more specifically, what her glucose levels are, how much insulin necessary, etc...which I'm sure you're all familiar with! So no, insulin has not started yet but will on Thursday and the doctor said 1 shot every 12 hours.

I didn't think to ask about the specific glucose levels but I need to call them today anyway so I will find out.

If her diabetes were caused from the shot and symptoms started immediately then she has had it just over 2 months. I hope I didn't cause more damage by not bringing her in even sooner, but I knew increased water consumption & urination was a possible side effect of the shot so I waited it out.

Thank you for your help. Would LOVE more input & advice and please feel free to ask me any questions about Mama & her new situation!

5. MamaBoots

MamaBoots New Member

Thank you for your support and encouragement! I so appreciate your reply - wow, this site really is amazing! I've reied to Eliz's post.

Yes, the thought of home testing scares me - giving her shots too! Mostly because I have NO idea what I'm doing! I'm so afraid of doing anything wrong or putting it in the wrong place and hurting her more. I don't want to mess anything up and risk something even worse!! She already lets me rub her ears with no problem, which is good. She's a very trusting kitty - she literally lets me rub her anywhere - belly, paws, back of tail, etc. I just hope she doesn't become afraid of me once I start having to give her shots & pricking Her ear.

6. Vyktors Mum

Vyktors Mum Well-Known Member

Not all wet food is made equal. Excellent that you have ditched the dry food for general health as well as the diabetes. Being in the US you will be spoiled for choice with low carb wet food - there is a list in the FAQ forum - you want to stick with foods under 10% carbs for general feeding but you'll also want to have some higher carb foods and/or syrup of some variety (honey, karo etc) on hand for managing low numbers. If the vet offers you prescription food for everyday feeding say no thank you, it's all too high in carbs.

I nearly threw up the first time I home tested Vyktor but it bothered me a lot more than it bothered him. Since you already have a close relationship with your kitty I don't think you'll find it too difficult. The next part of preparation you can do is click a pen near her ear after giving them a rub - so she get's used to the noise the lancing device will make. When you do get your lancets you want to start out with a gauge of no higher a number than 28 (the higher the number the thinner the needle). Kitty's have very few nerve endings on the edge of their ears where we test so it's not going to be painful for her. Prick your own finger first to get comfortable, that only stings a little and our finger tips have a lot more nerve endings than their ear edge does. Vital to the whole procedure is giving a treat after each test or attempted test (rule of thumb when you're just starting is three tries and you're out). Most people give a little low carb treat - I used raw chicken, others use freeze dried meats, but some find their kitty prefers to be brushed or something else. Most kitties end up loving their tests because of the treat that comes afterwards - yes it's true! With a trusting kitty like that I would recommend you don't try and pin her down at all (most cats hate that more than a test) and just sit/stand (if you put her up on a bench) next to her or in front of her and just focus on her ear.

7. MamaBoots

MamaBoots New Member

Update on MAMA BOOTS:

My girl had her glucose curve last week and Her numbers had already gone down just from the diet change! The vet gave her the minimum amount of insulin and then her levels were TOO low - so she doesn't need it! I brought her in today to check her BG on an empty stomach at the vet and it was close to 300. So my girl is regulating on her own with the diet change, thank goodness. Wet food isn't cheap either! I'm so proud of mama & am just continuing to visualize her as healthy and regulated :).

Thank you all so much for your help during this process. I learned so much on this site and from all of you, and am certain a big reason she is beating this is because of what I learned here. Thank you.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.