Mama Cat & Baby Cat

Discussion in 'Caninsulin / Vetsulin and N / NPH' started by Sandjules & Mama Cat, Feb 16, 2020.

1. Sandjules & Mama Cat

Sandjules & Mama Cat Member

Hi, all. It has been a long time since I've posted ... I've had my own health challenges and have just been letting things go as they are with Mama Cat. Not a good thing I know, I've told myself she won't get better and this is her life, even as I watch her lose her fur and more weight. I had a tough conversation with hubby today and he promises to help. Soooo, tested Mama Cat today before eating. Weirdly she was below 150 both times (132 & 145). Now I wonder if we've been slowly making her worse by giving her insulin without testing (hold the lectures, I know I have been a bad human). I really think it's a fluke, but we'll test her more this week and see what it looks like. Anyway, I updated her spreadsheet. You'll see how odd that is since she runs in the 300s.

We also tested her "baby" cat - Baby Cat (I know, original names LOL). Lately she has been having ravenous hunger and urinating A LOT. I don't know how to add another spreadsheet for Baby, but I added a tab in the worksheet for both in the same file. I'm not sure if it'll work, but here is the mystery for Baby ....

Right or wrong I have not taken Baby to the vet to be tested ... I wanted to see what it was myself, knowing the stress of vet visits can make the numbers high. Right or wrong I also decided to try a small dose of Vetsulin for her to see how it would affect her. Nothing happened. If you can't see it in the spreadsheet, here are now the numbers went today: AMBF: 457; +2 after 1U: 478; +4: 462. PMBF: 434; +2 after 1.5U: 486.

Has anyone experienced absolutely no change with insulin?

I do need to take her into the vet anyway ... I believe she may have a UTI. She's only using puppy pads for urinating (does use the box for other things).

Thanks as always for your advice and support. We'll try to do better.

Attached Files:

2. Noah & me (GA)

Noah & me (GA) Well-Known Member

No lectures, no guilt. You're moving in the right direction now and that's what matters. UTI can be serious, that's something you should take care of soon.
    For a second spreadsheet... @Marje and Gracie

Sandjules & Mama Cat likes this.
  3. Deb & Wink

Deb & Wink Well-Known Member

Hi to Mama Cat and Baby Cat. Welcome back. You go forward from where you are now. The past is the past and can not be changed. We usually suggest that new or returning members post in the Feline Health (Welcome & Main) forum first. That is because this forum is lightly viewed by more experienced members. Few people even check this forum for posts.

I'd much rather see you start a new thread over in the Main forum. More people there to keep an eye on you, and comment on your situation.

The following thread may help you to set up a separate spreadsheet for Baby Cat.
    FDMB Spreadsheet Instructions

You can link 2 separate SS's in your signature.
    This document is also a good read. Some of the basics of how to use the forum and such.
    New? How You Can Help Us Help You!

Ok with the 2 SS tabs for now, one for Mama, one for Baby. I can work with that.

MAMA CAT comments/feedback/questions for you.
    Mama Cat may be close to being diet controlled.
    Are your test strips for the alphatrak meter fresh? Stored well? Expired?
    How old is your bottle (vial) of Vetsulin?
    What are you feeding her? Be specific as to brand, flavor, style of food ( pate, shreds, lots or gravy), canned vs dry?
    Treats? People food? Contraband?

Are you able to get some mid-cycle BG tests?
    Around 2 hours after food would be good.
    Then, somewhere in the middle of the 12 hour cycle (time period for each insulin dose)
    Like +4 +5 +6 +7 +8
    Both AM cycle and PM cycle tests would be helpful.
    Since you are using Vetsulin, a test at +11 can also be helpful.
    A test done at that +11 tells us if the BG (blood glucose) has a steep rise before the pre-shot tests.

BABY CAT comments/feedback/questions for you.
    There can be other reasons for the ravenous hunger and the urinating a lot more for Baby Cat.
    Hyperthyroidism.
    Kidney disease.
    Infection or inflammation can keep the blood glucose (BG) levels high. Such as the UTI or bad teeth (think below the gumline). Vet visit is in order I think.

Did you test Baby Cat for about a week before you started the insulin? Any more BG tests to share with us before you started the insulin?

Any other symptoms besides the P/U and hunger? Weight loss? Weakness in the back legs? Dandruff, huge patches? Dull dry looking fur? Drinking tons of water?

What food are you feeding? canned or wet food vs dry?
    Be very specific as to brand, flavor, style (pate, shreds, lots of gravy, etc.)
    Treats?

p.s. AMBG (morning or AM blood glucose) and PMBG (evening or PM blood glucose) Figured you were typing on a tiny keyboard like a smartphone and did not see you hit the F key instead of the G key.

p.p.s There are better insulins for cats than Vetsulin. Prozinc, lantus, levimir are the better ones for cats.

4. Deb & Wink

How are you and Baby Cat doing?

5. Sandjules & Mama Cat

Hi, Deb. Thanks so much for asking. We took her to the vet and tested for other issues, nothing else shows up. We're still giving Vetsulin a little more time to work, up to 5.5U. The numbers do come down, but at most from in the low 400s to mid-200s. I have a feeling we'll have to go with another insulin. She still eats like crazy, but has lots of energy, vision is good, holding her weight ... no other issues. I have not updated her log lately, but will try to this week. Thanks again for asking.

Deb & Wink likes this.
  6. Deb & Wink

Wow! That 5.5U dose of Vetsulin is a lot.

7. Sandjules & Mama Cat

Hi. Yes, it is high and we held at that for a week, but took her back down to 3U since nothing seemed to matter. We'll be talking with the vet about an insulin change.

Deb & Wink likes this.
  8. Deb & Wink

Lots of people here with experience using Lantus or Levemir with their cats.
    Prozinc is a good insulin for cats too, and vets are more used to a veterinary approved insulin sometimes.

Prozinc has manufacturing shortages in Europe, and is not available in the UK right now.
    Hoping the same shortages do not happen with Prozinc here in the US.