Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. westcoastdeb

westcoastdeb Member

So...hi! I am Debbie and I am the human to Manny. He is 8-ish years old and a typical awesome black cat.

Well, except for the diabetes. Diagnosed Monday. Started ProZinc tonight, 2 units 2x/day. This will be...well, I am scared crapless.

He went from being my awesome goofy guy to a water fiend peeing machine in a month. I am glad to have a chance to help him.

First things first, getting him off of the kibble. We are transitioning from free feed kibble to meal time with fancy feast classics. He will not be pleased. I will. He needs to lose a few pounds and I know this helps with the blood sugar issues.

Oh, and he may have kidney disease. Vet seems to think the unchecked diabetes may have something to do with it and I am clueless so...I hope this helps that.

I've been checking his blood 2x/day since Monday to get he and I in a routine. Values have ranged from 497 (!!!!!!!!) to 387. Houston, we have a problem.

I've read around the forums some, we are using the 100u needles (meaning he gets 5u-- 2*2.5). I am watching him pretty closely tonight since this was his first dose.

Spreadsheet is in my signature. Pic of Manny attached.

Wish me luck!!

Attached Files:

2. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

Welcome to the FDMB Debbie and Manny!!

Sounds like you're doing everything right so far...getting off the evil kibble and onto a low carb canned diet and using a good insulin for cats....and home testing too!! WOO HOO!!

You will want to try to test more than just twice a day....with insulin, we want to know how low the dose is taking them, so if you can get some tests mid-cycle on the AM cycle and a "before bed" on the PM cycle, that will help!

It would be useful to put a few things into your signature ( which you can reach by holding the mouse over your own name at the top of any page) We like to have Your name/cats name, age, sex, date of diagnosis, type of insulin, type of meter (human or pet?), type of food, any other health issues, area of the country you are in etc., it will help a lot.....people won't have to keep asking the same questions over and over again.

If you have any health or dosing questions you can post on the Health Forum where you'll get more eyes helping you out during these first few days of the sugardance!!

Again, welcome to the best place you never wanted to be!!

3. Sharon14

Sharon14 Well-Known Member

Hi Debbie, welcome to you and Manny. ProZinc is a good insulin. When you get his preshot(PS) number in the AM, start a thread on the ProZinc forum, where we can help you find the best dose for Manny. Like Chris said, a mid cycle test or two will help to figure how well the insulin is working and what the dose should be. This is especially important as you transition to a low carb food. Hope to see you this AM!

4. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

Welcome! You've got this! Kudos for doing home testing right away!

5. Ruby&Baco

Ruby&Baco Well-Known Member

Hi Debbie and Manny, welcome!
    You've done some research yourself already, how great is that.
    Yes we all get how scared you are, boy, haven't we all when we started out. If you have any questions about dosing please come to the prozinc part of the forum so we can help you with that ;)
    Great that you are switching Manny's food already! You've done great research.:bighug:

6. westcoastdeb

westcoastdeb Member

He's my favorite little butthole. I have to take care of him ;).

We are working on getting mid day numbers - at least while we can. Partner and I work 12 hour days so....ya do what you can, right?We got some data today.

Signature shall be created.

Thanks for the warm welcome!

Deb

Sharon14 likes this.
  7. westcoastdeb

westcoastdeb Member

Going out on a limb here - but Manny LOVES cured meats - especially Salami.

Good treat? I know high in fat, so ... maybe not?

Thanks!

8. Sharon14

Sharon14 Well-Known Member

High in fat but very high in sodium, so not the best choice. It may be useful though when you transition to the Fancy Feast. If he doesn't like the change you can mix a little salami in to entice him.

9. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

I give a few bites of ham, roast beef, or turkey cold cuts at ear testing times. As long as the salami is a small treat of a few bites and not a meal in sure it's fine.

Sharon14 likes this.
  10. westcoastdeb

westcoastdeb Member

I am lucky enough that I think Manny would inject himself for some Fancy Feast! I've got to say, if I was to ever have a diabetic cat, I am glad it is him, Mr. Laid Back.

I've got freeze dried chicken on the way, so we will see how that goes.

Sharon14 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.