GA Marshmallow

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by granadilla, Sep 9, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. granadilla

granadilla Well-Known Member

I said goodbye to Marshmallow on Monday. She got progressively weaker over the weekend and she was only eating a little bit even though she was on appetite stims and she wasn't purring or meowing. On Sunday she sat in my lap for 45 minutes, which she had never done before. She used to sit in my lap for 5 minutes once every couple of months. I think it was her way of saying goodbye and letting me hold her. On Monday morning she was very lethargic and hiding in the closet so I knew our time was up.

A friend found a vet clinic that was open on Monday. I sat and held her and told her stories about what made her so unique and lovable. I told her that her big sister Cinnamon would be waiting to greet her. When I was ready, my friend went and got the vet and I held her on my lap until the end.

Poor kitty went through the ringer this year. I’m so very sad but I know it was the right thing to do and she was ready.

Thirteen years ago my boss told me that a stray cat had moved in under her porch and had kittens. I called all the shelters in town but it was “kitten season” and none of the shelters had room. I borrowed humane traps, nabbed the kittens and took them home with me. (I did TNR with the mama cat; she was too feral to keep.)

The kittens were totally feral but after about three weeks of food and attention, they were happy little domestic kitties. Here’s Marshmallow at about 12 weeks.

Marsh kitten! 2002.jpg

I wasn’t planning on keeping any of the kittens but whenever someone would ask me about the kitten with the white face and paws, I’d offer them another kitten instead. I think she stole my heart from the get-go, it just took me a little while to figure it out for myself.

As she grew up she followed my older cat, Cinnamon, around and copied everything Cinnamon did. She was such a copycat! ("Cinnamon says it's nap time now! Okay, here I come!")

naptime 2006.jpg

Marshmallow was the sweetest cat I’ve ever known. She would gaze at me with her big green eyes and then snuggle up to me and purr like a motor. In winter I’d wake up to find her wedged against my back for warmth. When I took her to a new vet a few months ago, he laughed when he took her out of the carrier. I asked why he was laughing and he said, “Her name suits her.” I said, “Yes. She’s soft and squishy and super sweet. She is a Marshmallow.”

Marsh 2008.jpg

I will miss her funny little behaviors and little squeaky mews. She was only 11 pounds but my apartment feels so empty without her. She had a big presence for a little creature. I hope she is chasing Cinnamon around on the other side of the Bridge and enjoying cozy naps in the sun.

Aug 2015 snuggle cat.JPG

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 9, 2015
    Reason for edit: Added the GA prefix. Fly free sweet Marshmallow... land softly.
  2. Merlin

Merlin Well-Known Member

Oh gosh I am so sorry. Marshmallow's story really tugged at my heart strings; thank you for the pictures. What a beautiful, loving cat. I would like to think that Cinnamon and Marshmallow are together now. It is so sad and I feel for you. I just put down my 31 year old horse about four weeks ago. I had him since he was a baby. Every morning and every night, I still go out to the barn...oh, I don't know but maybe to see him just in case??? Anyway, I know what you mean that your house just isn't the same. Take care.

granadilla likes this.
  3. Sharon14

Sharon14 Well-Known Member

I'm so sorry for your loss. Such a beautiful story and pictures. :bighug:

granadilla likes this.
  4. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Requiem aeternum, Marshmallow.

{{hugs}}

granadilla likes this.
  5. Tuxedo Mom

Tuxedo Mom Well-Known Member

I am so sorry to hear that Marshmallow has crossed the bridge. I have silently followed your valiant efforts to give her a good quality of life. Marshmallow was obviously telling you that it was time to let her go and as painful as that was you listened to her and gave her the ultimate act of love. May your beautiful memories give you some peace and bring smiles through your tears. She will always be there in that special place in your heart. :bighug: :bighug:

granadilla likes this.
  6. Robin&BB

Robin&BB Well-Known Member

I am so sorry for your loss of sweet Marshmallow. cat_wings>o Beautiful pictures; lovely, poignant story you've told here - thank you so very much for sharing this with us when I know how much you're hurting. I know that I'm not the only one here writing to you with tears in my eyes, a lump in my throat and many hugs in my heart, that I'm sending to you now, at this very moment. :rb_icon: My deepest sympathies - Robin

Merlin and granadilla like this.
  7. Squeaky and KT (GA)

Squeaky and KT (GA) Well-Known Member

I'm SO sorry it was Marshmallow's time to cross....BIG huge looooooooong hug. Remember she's not gone, you just have to hug her differently. What a wonderful life of love you shared together. Thank you for sharing her with us.

Soar high on your new angel wings sweet girl....you're so loved.

granadilla likes this.
  8. Jill & Alex (GA)

Jill & Alex (GA) Senior Member Moderator

Awww, what a beautiful tribute to Marshmallow. I'm so sorry for your loss.
    May your fond and loving memories soon replace your sadness...

cat_wings>o Fly free, Marshmallow... land softly.

:bighug::bighug::bighug:

granadilla likes this.
  9. Squalliesmom

Squalliesmom Well-Known Member

I am so terribly sorry to hear that Marshmallow has gone to the Rainbow Bridge. My heart hurts for you, I know how painful it is to lose one of our beloved family members. Your tribute to her is lovely, and she will live forever with you in your heart.
    Sending you peace and strength,
    Lucy :bighug::bighug::bighug:
    Fly free, beloved Marshmallow cat_wings>o

granadilla likes this.
  10. Cat Ma

Cat Ma Well-Known Member

This is a very beautiful story and a deeply moving tribute. The photos are so very precious. Thank you for sharing your story and photos with us. You worked so very hard, @granadilla, every step of the way, for Marshmallow, while also helping new and old members here even in the most trying of times. You gave two beautiful cats the very best life a cat could wish for. May the wonderful memories you have of Marshmallow and the love she gave you continue to comfort you during this very difficult time.

Somewhere at the Rainbow Bridge, Marshmallow is copying Cinnamon again.

Now you have two beautiful guardian angels watching over you.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2015
    granadilla likes this.
  11. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Bron and Sheba (GA) Well-Known Member

I am so sorry for your losscat_wings>o

granadilla likes this.
  12. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

So sad, sending purrs and prayers

granadilla likes this.
  13. Maggies Mom Debby

Maggies Mom Debby Well-Known Member

I'm touched by Marshmallow's story. And those pictures show that she was a beautiful girl! I know how hard the decision was, but you loved her enough to let her go. I'm just so sorry it was Marshmallow's time.

granadilla likes this.
  14. Bobbie And Bubba

Bobbie And Bubba Well-Known Member

Dear Shane, I am so very very sorry for your loss of Marshmellow, I can hardly type through my tears. Thank you for sharing her story with us. She was very loved for sure. It's funny how they tell us it's time for them to go but, they do. And your listening to her request was you final act of love to her. Peace ~

granadilla likes this.
  15. dana moore

dana moore Member

Beautiful story marshmallow was a beautiful cat. I am so sorry for your loss my prayers are with you and hopefully God will bring you comfort, she's no longer suffering and you no longer have the stress of her suffering, I know how that feels. God bless.

granadilla likes this.
  16. Karen & Rudy

Karen & Rudy Member

I'm so so sorry. I'm crying so hard reading all about your wonderful Marshmallow. Big hugs. :-(

granadilla likes this.
  17. LindyKindy

LindyKindy Member

So saddened to see that Marshmallow has gone over the rainbow. What a beautiful cat and tribute. Love seeing her photos. Big hugs to you and peace of mind and heart until you see her again.

18. Melanie and Smokey

Melanie and Smokey Well-Known Member

What a beautiful and lucky girl to have gotten to spend her time with you. So sorry it was her time to go.cat_wings>o

granadilla likes this.
  19. Lorraine Edwards

Lorraine Edwards Member

so sorry, my heart goes out to you at this very sad time, your pictures are beautiful and show how content and loved they are, you was with your girl till the end, the ultimate love you can give xx

20. pevsfreedom

pevsfreedom Well-Known Member

So Sorry Shane. Marshmallow looked like a character.

21. SpecklesandMe

SpecklesandMe Member

She's gorgeous. Thank you for sharing her sweet story and pictures.
    Please remember what an outstanding cat guardian you are.

granadilla likes this.
  22. Olive & Paula

Olive & Paula Well-Known Member

So sorry. I can see why she tugged her heart. That face is irresistible and she knew it.

granadilla likes this.
  23. Jeanne

Jeanne Member

So very sorry about your lovely kitty. My heart go's out to you. I lost my one girl one month ago and I still cry every day. So does my poor Max he still looks for his love mitten. Your story and pictures are beautiful. Hold those beautiful memories in your heart. Hugs Jeanne and max.

granadilla likes this.
  24. Brashworks

Brashworks Member

Shane, I'm so sorry to hear about Marshmallow. It is such a hard thing to do, I know x 7 - it is lovely how she got close to you to let you know it was time. Sweet to the end... and now her new beginning - no doubt she is copycatting Cinnamon once again, over the Bridge.

Hugs to you, fly free Marshmallow.

Melanie

granadilla likes this.
  25. AliciaG

AliciaG Member

My deepest sympathies for your loss.

26. Paula

Paula Well-Known Member

So very sorry for your loss. Wonderful story and tribute to Marshmallow. She is beautiful! May she Rest In Peace and send you a sign from the Rainbow Bridge. Fly free little one cat_wings>o

granadilla likes this.
  27. Tucker&Me

Tucker&Me Member

So very sorry to hear it was Marshmallow's time to go. I know that chest-caving pain of letting go. Bless you for all the love you put into action for your sweet little doll.
    Their little spirits are always near. And I am sure she 's together with her beloved Cinnamon, remembering you.
    cat_wings>oFly free. Land softly sweet Marshmallow.

granadilla likes this.
  28. suki & crystal (GA)

suki & crystal (GA) Well-Known Member

Sending my deepest condolences on your loss, fly free sweet Marshmallow.:rb_icon::bighug:

granadilla likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.