Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by christobevii3, May 2, 2017.
Wow....he stayed low for a long time last night! What a curious cycle! Will you be able to do a curve sometime this weekend?
A curve would be super helpful...also a new thread as this gets kind of long!
I'll do a curve tomorrow since he's back up today probably from the lower dose yesterday. I really prefer a single thread to keep things in one place. Makes it easy for me to search back through the one instead of multiple for comments made.
There is a search function when you click on your avatar/username. Where you edit Signature information, the tab is called "Postings". You can find any comment you have posted or filter it by just threads you created
Hi there! I hate to keep popping in here and being bossy, but I'm really concerned about Mason's numbers being so high for so long now. I would really encourage you to consider making the 0.25u increases every three cycles and not stay at one dose for such a long time. His numbers are still much higher than is safe in the long-term. If you are interested in doing that, we are more than happy to help navigate it as the process will start to produce some wonky numbers. However getting him into some healthier ranges is really important to his long-term health.
We are on vacation for the week so he will have some relax away from the dogs. I didn't want to try changing much while someone without as much care is trying to cover for us. He will at least get tested prior to feeding for insulin but trying to adjust doses and take curves for now wouldn't be feasible. Once we get back though I will start raising the dosage.
That makes sense. Have a good vacation!
We're back now and pushing the dose up some.
Got some nice yellows the last few nights! I think that raise in dose is good.
We're close to switching meters from the alphatrak. Is the freestyle still the recommended? The strips are half the cost.
If your in the US, ReliOn confirm is the popular choice. Sorry I forgot where you guys are >_<
I think most people use one of the Relion meters from Walmart since the strips are the cheapest. I just use the store brand meter from my local pharmacy. I think whatever is easiest for you to get more supplies and fits your budget will work just fine. There is some difference in the size of the blood sample needed, and I believe the Relion Micro has one of the smaller blood samples (.3). Mine takes a .5 and we manage it just fine (most of the time).
Just took a peek at your spreadsheet. Nice job with the dose tonight. Those surprise lows can be tricky. If you can grab a couple of +6 tests in the next couple of days, might be good to see what's going on. Those are some interesting pre-shots today.
He bounced this morning and told my wife he'd be low tonight. I'll check the +4 but thinking I should have done a +2 but wife was worried and I was still at work. The 87 was 30 minute delay. I "may" be able to get a +6 tomorrow. Tropical storm, closing house on Friday (probably flooded roads), and whatever else that can go wrong.
Thanks, We'll buy one tomorrow.
You can always check with the pharmacist too...they can recommend a good meter for you.
Oh no! Please stay safe!
I apologize for not posting in a long time. I've just been keeping updates on a notebook at home after our move. I "think" we have neropathy pain in the back left hind leg that mason keeps biting and is infected. A vet has given him three shots of antibioitics and now has an oral steroid with bitter orange to put on the wound. This still hasn't helped and we have been using a cone more and more.
I'm going to go tomorrow to get the leg shaved and talk more. We've been trying to get this healed for a few months now without luck. At what point do you question the pain for the animal and whether it is ok still day to day? He can still get around ok and comes and sees us on the couch and the two cats have their own bedroom. So I don't think we are there yet but monthly visits of $300 + $100 in prozinc/needles is also testing our ability too. If we can just get the infection cleared up I think having more consistent numbers will be attainable again.
If you think it may be neuropathy pain as the root cause then give the cat b12 methylcobalamin such as zobaline and see if it helps!
Might want to post on Main Health too if you haven't. I don't really have any advice about neuropathy, but more people there will have had experience with it. Has the vet not been able to give any answers about why the infection doesn't clear up or if it is actually neuropathy and not something like maybe arthritis or something else?
If his BG has been on the high side for a long time that can impair his ability to heal from those bite wounds. It's like people with diabetes who don't heal well. Good BG control can help a lot of health issues.
Separate names with a comma.