Maury's Progress

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by Yong & Maury GA, Feb 20, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Yong & Maury GA

Yong & Maury GA Well-Known Member

First off, I want to thank everyone on this forum :)

Second, I did Maury's first curve on 8 Feb and sent results to Vet who told me to increase dose from 1.5U to 2.5U. With reading a lot of posts on the forum, I chose to do 2.0U for a couple cycles in case that was his purrrfect dose. It was not. I did another curve, as seen on his SS for the 2.5U. I figure if I send it to the Vet, she is going to tell me to increase it again, so I decided to go to 3.0U without having her tell me.

So, I guess my questions are:
    1) Does anyone disagree with my choice? If I send her the curve on the 2.5U dose, then I will be charged for her to look at it and, most likely, tell me to increase. I could use that $$ towards some supplies for Maury.
    2) Should I have only increased to 2.75U?
    3) How often should I be testing for ketone's?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2017
  2. Sue and Oliver (GA)

Sue and Oliver (GA) Well-Known Member

I think your increase is okay. It'd be nice if you could get some earlier in the cycle numbers. On 2/14 his lowest number was at +3. I wonder if he drops before your +6 and bounces. If so, there are ways to work with that pattern with food.

I have forgotten - is he still getting Purina DM dry for snacks? If so, he might drop into better ranges if you'd cut those out.. It is 13% carbs. And for many kitties, even a little bit can spike bg levels. If he likes crunches, you might try PureBites. They are freezedried meats/fish. Or Stella and Chewy's raw which is a crumbly type food. Another choice would be to freeze the low carb wet and leave it out for him to graze on.

I would test for ketones at least once weekly.

3. Pati

Pati Member

Sending it to the vet of course has to be your decision but if it is going to cost you money and you might not agree with her dosing adjustments... I can only say that I have been guided very well here on the forum by Sue and Kris. Morris is doing great and I have learned a ton about feline diabetes. The good thing about the forum is we learn the why's not just give x dose. That actually eventually makes us more knowledgeable about what dose to give than our vets who aren't seeing the day to day complete picture.

Yong & Maury GA likes this.
  4. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

Given his high numbers I think increasing by 0.5 u was fine. Once you start seeing more action, 0.25 u increases will be the way to go.

5. Yong & Maury GA

With the small amount of data I have, I noticed his lowest seems to be around +3 instead of +6.
    I honestly have no idea what I did on 14 Feb to get those good numbers. I've been pretty consistent with food and his test treat lol. He was left 1/2 cup for each 12 hour cycle but I have cut it back so he gets 1/4 cup for every 12 hours. The past couple days he has finished the DM dry before we get to +6 and then he cries for food because he's hungry. I tried freezing some wet food but it thaws out kind of fast so I don't think that will work when I start working to hold him over. I feel so bad when he cries for food because I do need to get some weight back on him. I am planning on switching to a lower carb dry food but might not be able for another month, that's why I'm still using the DM dry.

Thanks Kris, that was my thinking :cat:

6. Sue and Oliver (GA)

An automatic feeder might help. Then you can set the times you want him to eat.

7. Yong & Maury GA

With my luck he wouldn't eat it then :p But maybe I can try it to give him his crunchy snack a few hours after his Friskies meal, like at +5? So hopefully he'll be finished 2 hours before his AM/PMPS.

Rachel and StephG like this.
  8. Yong & Maury GA

Instead of starting another thread, I'll just add it here. Maury starts "talking" to me randomly and it sounds like he's crying, not a happy meow, and he'll walk over to me and start pawing at me. First time he did this was just about a year ago. He was not known to be an extremely vocal kitty but I just want to make sure it's not a bad sign? The spout he just had, he has ended up laying in front of my keyboard, on one hand/arm and over the other so typing is fun! It's probably just me being slightly paranoid but maybe it's also him just wanting more attention.
    Apologies for the slight rambling, just now. :cat:

9. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

Probably his way of telling you he's not feeling 100% with the high BGs. You're starting to see some downward movement so he should feel better over time.

10. Yong & Maury GA

Thanks Kris, I think I just needed a little reasurance. He just gets very insistent and when he does cuddle sometimes he'll bite at my arm so I move it away then he reaches for it lol. Forgot to mention with the crying meow he will be purring sometimes. So many mixed signals! @_@ lol

11. Yong & Maury GA

Got a blue! :cat:

Sharon14 and Kris & Teasel like this.
  12. Pati

Pati Member

Yea!!!!! Such a pretty color isn't it? :)

Yong & Maury GA likes this.
  13. Sharon14

Sharon14 Well-Known Member

14. Yong & Maury GA

Just did first test with ReliOn Confirm meter and it read 504 while AT2 with FS strip read 556. Thinking if human meter reads <80 I will give a little higher carb wet food to be safe since we're still kind of new.

15. Sue and Oliver (GA)

Not sure what you mean. 500 is very high- you don't need to give high carb food. It is likely high because he bounced from the blue today.

16. Yong & Maury GA

Just planning to if the ReliOn meter reads less than 80. Not when he's in the highs =)
    Yeah, I was afraid after he gave me a blue today that he would bounce =(

Last edited: Feb 22, 2017
  17. Sue and Oliver (GA)

Oh, I see. Thought you meant you would give high carb at 500....

Up to you. The first time you see double digits is a little scary, but 50 is the time to intervene. If you ever get close, post here or on Health and ask for help. You can steer the numbers back up with food - regular low carb in the 60/70s and then gravy off the higher carb if he'd drop to the 50s.

18. Yong & Maury GA

I'm terrified of him going hypo. I do have a high carb friskies and karo on hand.

19. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

The good news is that there are almost always people around on Health...so if you ever have a hypo, there will be people nearby to help talk you through it. And you have what you need to steer. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.