Maury's Progress

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by Yong & Maury GA, Feb 28, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Yong & Maury GA

Yong & Maury GA Well-Known Member

Doing a curve today on 2.5U dose with new diet / feeding schedule. Looks more like a kid rollercoaster lol. Also, learning that the low numbers I got on 23 Feb (+5: 50) was probably a low of 90 or 100. Didn't have any FS strips for the AT2 to double check that day :( as they were on the way.

Going to gather more data but thinking next dose might be 2.75U. Thoughts? :bighug:

2. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

Yes, I'd try 2.75 u next.

3. Yong & Maury GA

4. Kris & Teasel

I'd just answered your post about the dose increase and then I see this. Here's what to do: stall without feeding for 20 minutes, then retest. This can be repeated in 20 minute increments up to an hour long stall. Stall/retest/report BG. You can move a dose of ProZinc up to an hour without throwing your schedule off. If he's above 200 after one of these stalls then you can give a reduced dose. Let's see where he goes first.

ETA: He was bouncing and now it's stopped - ie., he's responding to the insulin properly.

Rachel and Yong & Maury GA like this.
  5. Yong & Maury GA

Ok, glad I waited because he knows it's dinner time and I almost went and fed him but something told me to hold off :) Almost time for retest.

6. Yong & Maury GA

He's going down. PMPS ReliOn 116. Stalled 20 mins, ReliOn 101. He shouldn't go into Hypo since it's 12 hours since his morning shot, right?

Update:
    +20mins ReliOn 114
    I did have to give him a treat after each test

Last edited: Feb 28, 2017
  7. Yong & Maury GA

+20 mins ReliOn 131
    I think his treats might be effecting his number.
    15 minutes left til 1 hour mark for shot.

And he's crying for his dinner :(

8. Kris & Teasel

He's still low and I don't see him getting anywhere near 200. Feed him now. You can skip (safest but not the ideal choice) or give a much reduced dose (0.5 u - 1.0 u?) so he gets some insulin. Test at +2 to see where he's headed.

9. Yong & Maury GA

Was thinking 0.5u if he was to get any. I don't think it's good for him to get none. Going to give him his dinner now.

10. Kris & Teasel

Good, safe choice. More data for a tense situation. :)

11. Yong & Maury GA

Gave a skinny 0.5u. Will check at +2 and have alarm set for +4.25

12. Yong & Maury GA

+2 reading ReliOn 406. Reset alarm for +6

Rachel likes this.
  13. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

That + 6 will be interesting! Good data to have for next time.

14. Yong & Maury GA

Glad I gave him at least the 0.5U

15. Kris & Teasel

Stressful but this is how we learn to dance our kitty's dance. :)

Yong & Maury GA likes this.
  16. Yong & Maury GA

Maury's been running lower in the evenings now so I'm slightly reducing his dose. Seems to be working. Also, got the YA sample and putting about 10 pieces with his DM. He really likes it :) so I've ordered a bag. Lowest (non-scary) Preshot number :cat:

Phoebes (GA) likes this.
  17. Kris & Teasel

If he develops a pattern of usually being lower in the PM you can also adopt a 13/11 shooting schedule - ie., dose 1 hour later in the evening so the BG has that extra time to rise. That puts the PM dose and AM dose only 11 hours apart and you might catch the AM BG before it gets as high.

18. Yong & Maury GA

Oh interesting, first I'm hearing of this :cat: Makes sense though :)

Caitlin M likes this.
  19. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

It's a technique we have listed in our advanced dosing guide. We generally don't suggest it until you've got enough data to show it might be helpful...that's why we never mentioned it before now. :)

20. Kris & Teasel

We're not trying to be sneaky or withhold info. ;) It's just better to start with the basics, build up your SS data base and then get into some of the dose finessing. Feel free to read the "Advanced Techniques" sticky any time to see what other tools are available down the road.

21. Yong & Maury GA

I did not think I was ready for advanced techniques yet so I have not read that sticky. By no means do I think anyone is withholding any info :cat:. It's like training for anything else, "you are not ready yet" lol :)

Kris & Teasel likes this.
  22. Pati

Pati Member

Yong, Morris stayed high during the night instead of going lower as it seems a lot of cats do. One would think he would be lower because he wasn't getting as much to eat in that 12 hour cycle as he does during the day. I kept the idea of a different dose or 13/11 in reserve but haven't needed those tools. As his numbers improved the night cycle changed also.

23. Yong & Maury GA

Thanks Pati! Kris just told me yesterday about a 13/11 or vice versa :). I'm hoping it is a good sign that his cycles are changing because his numbers are improving :cat:. Don't want to jinx anything (because he knows what I'm thinking and then things get whacky :p) but he has been acting better past couple days and hanging out with my downstairs at the computer :).

24. Pati

Pati Member

That's great he is feeling better.

25. Phoebes (GA)

Phoebes (GA) Well-Known Member

Which one do we ask for, for a sample? There are several on website.

26. Yong & Maury GA

Hi Angela! I wanted to try the YA Zero formula so I just asked for a free sample of that one. I wonder now if I had asked for sample of the YA Zero Mature if they would have sent it too. :bookworm: Just specify which one you want in the contact us e-mail form :)

Phoebes (GA) likes this.
  27. Phoebes (GA)

Phoebes (GA) Well-Known Member

Ty :) will let you know if they will. :)

28. Yong & Maury GA

Ahhhh still got jinxed! :banghead: I am not allowed to discuss Maury's good progress anymore LOL! Looks like we're going to get to try 2.75U afterall. Or maybe I should wait until I get his dry food to YA then decide. Cos these numbers are still with his 1/8 cup DM, now up to 15 pieces of YA (milking the sample bag :) so introducing it much slower than needed).

What do you guys think? Thank you in advance, as always ♥

29. Pati

Pati Member

I made mistakes in the beginning with changing more than one variable at a time. I would either add the YA or raise the dose but not both at the same time. You're weaning off the DM? How long before you switch him over to YA? If you decide to try the dose change first you could stay with the exact food or do it the other way. Also remember you have dose changes of a fat 2.5u, 2.6, skinny 2.75 also.

30. Yong & Maury GA

Yeah that's why I'm thinking just to change one variable at a time :) (Better safe than sorry). The YA is en route and should be here Tuesday but he won't be fully eating YA until probably the following Tuesday, as long as he transitions smoothly.

31. Pati

Pati Member

If the food transition will be that long you could change the dose first. You're testing enough so you'll catch if you need to back it down as the food transition continues.

32. Yong & Maury GA

PMPS reading 172. Stalling to make sure it is rising before giving him his dinner and shot. Currently, being yelled and pawed at. :(

33. Pati

Pati Member

Nice. What are you going to shoot? Last time (blue PS) you gave him .5.

34. Yong & Maury GA

+20 mins reading 168
    Wrong direction :banghead:

35. Yong & Maury GA

Not sure yet, Pati. That was almost an hour late because I stalled, like I'm doing now. Going to test again in 20 mins.

36. Yong & Maury GA

+20 mins reading 181
    Gave dinner. Going to give fat 1.0U

37. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

Sounds like he was staying flat...which is nice! Going to get a +2 tonight to see where he's headed?

38. Yong & Maury GA

Yeah so I can compare to last time he was low PMPS :) Just hope it doesn't cause too much bouncing, if any.

39. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

I like it! I hope it doesn't cause bouncing also...we'll just keep our fingers crossed!

40. Yong & Maury GA

+2.25 reading 296

41. Yong & Maury GA

Looking good in blue and yellow baby boy! :bighug: Just gotta work on those PS numbers!

Djamila and Sharon14 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.