Maury's Progress

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by Yong & Maury GA, Apr 2, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Yong & Maury GA

Yong & Maury GA Well-Known Member

Starting new thread with my first video upload! :cat:

2. Sharon14

Sharon14 Well-Known Member

Love it!

MiCo likes this.
  3. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

Such a handsome dude! :)

MiCo likes this.
  4. Yong & Maury GA

Thank you! :D Got a couple nice blues today :cool:

Djamila likes this.
  5. Frank's Mom

Frank's Mom Member

Nice blues! I think the first time I get blues I might freak out.

6. MiCo

MiCo Member

very cute chirper! :)

Yong & Maury GA likes this.
  7. Yong & Maury GA

+3 is 94. Would rather this was his nadir tonight. Just ate almost all of his PM lunch (1/3 can). Looks like I'm not going to bed yet :coffee:. This is probably going to cause some trampoline time :banghead:

8. Djamila

Djamila Well-Known Member

Looks like that dose reduction is suiting him well!

9. Yong & Maury GA

Go figure. It's the dose I never tried before lol.

10. Frank's Mom

Frank's Mom Member

In a case like this, would it be recommended to leave some dry food or high carb food out?

11. Yong & Maury GA

It was time for his PM lunch so he just ate that after the test. I'm hanging around to see if I need to steer. He has YA for grazing.
    His lunch should help him surf a bit :)

Frank's Mom likes this.
  12. Frank's Mom

Frank's Mom Member

It'll be a while before we get to below 100, but I'll probably freak out. I like reading everyone's posts and seeing how they handle it to help me in the future. Like right now, I'm ready for a bounce.

13. Yong & Maury GA

I freaked out first time I got below 100 ;)

Frank's Mom likes this.
  14. Yong & Maury GA

And now we're steering...

15. Djamila

Kitties are sneaky like that, aren't they?

And just peeked at your spreadsheet....high carb party time!!!

16. Yong & Maury GA

17. Frank's Mom

Frank's Mom Member

So what's the solution to this? Now the high carb food comes out, and the sugar/honey/syrup tricks?

18. Yong & Maury GA

Gave him 1 Tablespoon of FF Gravy lovers. Retesting in 20 minutes, which is about 3 minutes away :)

19. Djamila

Yup. And you keep testing roughly every 20 minutes until you get three rising numbers. It's kind of exhausting. If the kitty is close to nadir, it's not as stressful because you know he's going to rise on his own soon. But if there is still a long time before nadir - or if you aren't certain when nadir is because it moves around or you don't have enough data, then it's a long night.

Frank's Mom likes this.
  20. Frank's Mom

Frank's Mom Member

What a tricky path we all have. Yuck. I don't even think my cat likes me. I mean, her knows I feed him so he tolerates me. I hope your kitty is appreciative.

21. Yong & Maury GA

He loves when I shove food in his face LOL. It is a little exhausting but he's still got about an hour til nadir.

Djamila likes this.
  22. Djamila

Hang in there! Is it midnight? :coffee::coffee::coffee:

23. Yong & Maury GA

Yup. He gets a little testier when he's lower. Suddenly getting very sleepy...

Last edited: Apr 2, 2017
  24. Djamila

You could probably just give him a can of FF GL and go to sleep. Or set an asdfasda94875u alarm and take little naps;l./''lllp.p

(Sam is helping me typep0--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------[0opopopopopop tonight)

25. Yong & Maury GA

26. Djamila

He was trying to tell me that he was going to die if I didn't give him more treats. And since I keep typing and ignoring him, he figured walking back and forth across the keyboard would do the trick.

(he's right -- I just gave him some more bonito flakes. I'm such a pushover)

I'm going to logoff for the night. Hopefully Maury gives you a nice low blue at your next test and you can sleep soon!

StephG likes this.
  27. Yong & Maury GA

Aren't we all. Have alarm set to get a +7 if I dose on the sofa. Not getting into comfy bed yet cos I won't wake up. Thanks for hanging :)

28. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

Looks like last night was a fun party! You did great steering Maury...I love seeing how you all get so calm and to the point where this is just something else you handle. GREAT JOB! :bighug:

29. Kris & Teasel

Woo hoo! Exciting! With that green 50 I'd consider another decrease to 2 u. What do you think?

30. Yong & Maury GA

Indeed and exciting night :). Have a little bounce this morning, as expected, but I'll take it over a big bounce! I think the lower number earned him another reduction so did a fat skinny 2.25U haha. Might be getting a storm door installed so the noise might stress him a little, not sure. Will see how his numbers are and might start the 2U tonight, numbers permitting of course ;).

As the cycles get better, his Preshot numbers should come down a little more, correct?

31. Kris & Teasel

That's the hope but cats are cats!

32. Yong & Maury GA

Hence the should. LOL

Djamila, Kris & Teasel and Sharon14 like this.
  33. Yong & Maury GA

Only gave F0.75U tonight as opposed to F1.0u in case he was a little sensitive from last night :)

34. Yong & Maury GA

Thinking his ideal dose right now is between 2.25U and 2.5U :facepalm:. Might try fat 2.25U for a few cycles, what do you guys think? :) Or should I try the reduction again and go for 2U?

35. Djamila

Okay, here's what I think I see
    1 April - good cycle
    1 April - high
    2 April - good cycle
    2 April - hypo
    3 April - long cycle with low PMPS
    3 April - disqualified from consideration because the dose was different
    4 April - high, but likely the long effect of the reduced dose

So I would say to toss out the last two data points because of the dose difference. Which leaves you with two good cycles, one hypo, and one cycle where the insulin may have lasted too long (which can indicate that the dose is too high - - or it can indicate that Maury saw a squirrel out the window). So I would say then that 2.25 may be a good dose to stick with for a bit longer, or it may be a bit high still (long cycle and hypo).

ETA: Okay, technically he wasn't hypo...but he would have been if you weren't steering.

36. Yong & Maury GA

I meant to also suggest, just staying put lol. Too many questions went through my head :smuggrin:

37. Yong & Maury GA

Haha just noticed I'm a "Well-known member" now after 3 months. A symbol of me not having a life! :D

38. Djamila

I just noticed that yesterday and was a little jealous! I've been on here for like two years and I'm not "well-known" yet. Sigh. :oops:;)

Caitlin M likes this.
  39. Frank's Mom

Frank's Mom Member

I was talking to a friend tonight and telling her how I'm frequenting this board. We had a big laugh over it. I did not want to be a diabetic cat mom who's only friends are other diabetic cat parents when I grew up.

40. Cherish Gallagher

Cherish Gallagher Member

Hahaha. Same.

41. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

Aw Djamila, you're well known to us! :)

42. Yong & Maury GA

Exactly! :cat:

Djamila likes this.
  43. Djamila

You had some interesting numbers this morning!

44. Yong & Maury GA

Indeed! I meant to get a +9 but because I got on the computer later than usual it just flew past lol. Curious for PMPS :bookworm:

45. Phoebes (GA)

Phoebes (GA) Well-Known Member

Omgggggggg!!!! So cute!! :) :)

46. Yong & Maury GA

Maybe Maury and Phoebe can have a conversation ;).

47. Yong & Maury GA

Confused about his recent cycles not moving much, so went back up to 2.5U today. Have a call in for new bottle of Prozinc but I'm really wondering if I should make the switch to Lantus. Really thought going into month 4 he would be better regulated. I'm not sure if he's considered a bouncy kitty and don't want the first Vet to be right that he's a complicated case :(. If he is a complicated case I still don't know what that means :confused:. Would greatly appreciate you guys' insights :bighug:

48. Kris & Teasel

I really don't know what to suggest. I think vets might label any hard/tricky to regulate cats as complicated cases. Teasel is one for sure! My vet just leaves me to it. I don't consult her on his FD at all. In fact I made the switch to Lantus and only told her after the fact. There are many other bouncy cats on FDMB too and seeing that helped me feel better. Lantus might help a lot or a little. It's helped Teasel somewhat but he's still very bouncy and hard to predict. However, he definitely feels better on Lantus.

49. Yong & Maury GA

Can I go back to 2.75U in the AM and no PM shots again? :p I'm not consulting any Vet on his FD either. Going to give 2nd vial of Prozinc a shot, like Steph said she gave it 6 months and obviously went through more than 2 vials in that period. Would his heart murmur / cardiomyopathy be a reason he might be difficult to regulate? Lymph nodes are good, the few I know where to check. Breathes per minute, when sleeping, 36-40 per minute. First bpm was 225, I think I miscalculated so planning on trying to re-check. Also done while sleeping/relaxing.

50. Kris & Teasel

It's possible this is having an effect. I've seen it on lists of health issues that can affect BG regulation. If that's the reason in whole or in part, there's not much you can do about it. Teasel and his siblings are prone to allergic/inflammatory issues and I think that's part of his problem. He had many bouts of cystitis before the FD diagnosis but non since (all that warm water added to his wet food has really helped). My goal is to dose him as well as I can so he sees as much blue as possible and even dark green if I'm lucky. I know he'll bounce and I know that the Lantus protocols are only general guidelines to be followed loosely for him. If I ever get him truly regulated that will be wonderful but I sure don't agonize over it.

ETA: I don't mean for this to seem defeatist. I don't feel that way at all. I'm doing the best I can for a cat that defies all logic and being realistic about what I can achieve gives me peace of mind.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2017
  51. Yong & Maury GA

Not at all, I appreciate your insight :). Better to be straight forward and blunt with me, don't sugar coat unnecessarily :D.

Kris & Teasel likes this.
  52. Yong & Maury GA

I should also consider we're reaching the end of the vial.

53. Djamila

Complicated kitties are...complicated? Why did your first vet say that about him?

Here are the things I wonder. To be very very clear, I don't have an opinion if any of these might be Maury's issue. They are just ideas I've gleaned from other cats that I wonder about here:

1. Are you still on a medium carb diet? Would he do better on lower carb food? Wet food only? The medium carb and YA might not spike his numbers right away, but they may be having a longer duration impact. Kind of like athletes can't eat crap on Tuesday and then perform well on Saturday (not calling MC food crap - just trying to find a metaphor). They might have pooped the food out by then, but there are systems in our body that are impacted by influences over time, not just influences in the moment. Could there be something like that going on with Maury?

2. Would he benefit from a steady dose instead of sliding scale? Obviously you have to adjust if his pre-shot is a blue or green, but if he got a steadier dose, would his numbers start to level out? Some cats work better on sliding scale, some work better on consistency.

3. What Kris said: this is just how he is, and you can find peace in knowing that - but also like Steph said - it might feel like forever, but it's only been three months so far.

54. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

I'd say that all FD kitties are "complicated" in some ways. I mean, it's very personalized treatment for them. Look at the differences in who we have now! We have some kitties who are staying low and we're worrying over hypos and bounces that keep them in the yellows...others are in black numbers preshot and greens midcycle. Others stay high all day. You have to figure out what is the pattern for your cat and then figure out how to change it to get those lower numbers...and that is just constant. But that's just the nature of FD...nothing is going to be straightforward and easy, and since vets don't treat as aggressively as we do, they get confused more easily by it than we do...and we all know we get confused!

I hope all that made sense. This is one of those days where at the end, I was so mixed up from class that I'm not even sure I'm speaking English anymore!!! :p

55. StephG

StephG Well-Known Member

I remember Sue telling me it's best to give it time. I was ready to try another after about a month! I also had it in my mind that the lantus was way more expensive than it actually is. Turns out the prozinc was more expensive per unit in our area. I'm happy with his first week on Lantus. But I have a feeling that we might see some more of Chuck's crazy antics. I felt like switching was a good idea since about January but I was not sure it was a good idea. He started going down in his dose so I thought we were finally getting somewhere! I was scared (and still am) of the depot idea. I liked the flexibility of prozinc. Once Chuck started getting higher doses I knew it was time to try the switch.

56. Yong & Maury GA

Took him there for first curve and after 2 readings his numbers barely moved so they called me to come pick him up and said he was a complicated case. -__-

Still on medium carb wet with YA for dry. He really turns his nose to pate:oops:. I have thought about trying to get him on his lunch flavours all the time.

I try to keep the dose as steady as possible.

It does feel longer than 3 months.

57. Yong & Maury GA

The depot scares me too until I can read more about how it works. I do like the flexibility of Prozinc. But I am going to try and give another vial a shot and see where we are at the 6 month mark.

That's what I try do on a daily basis and I can't see a solid pattern lol. Only thing I can kind of do is predict if he's going to bounce. Just having a moment that I feel like I'm doing something wrong. :(

StephG likes this.
  58. Djamila

I bet Maury was just in a flat cycle after a bounce. Silly vets.

You could try the magical fortiflora. Sam would eat a shoe if I put that stuff on it first.

Amen to that. I've only been here for two months (as of today) and it feels like for-ev-er.

59. Yong & Maury GA

Thinking I will try like 1/2 Tablespoon of his non-pate on top first. If he just eats the top, then I'll try mixing it. Maury is hanging with me right now. I just showed him Sam's SS and explained that's where we need to be :D

60. Kris & Teasel

Just thinking back, Yong: when I was saying yesterday that I'm resigned to getting less than ideal FD regulation for Teasel, I hope you didn't think I meant Maury is in that boat too. Not my intention. Yes, they're both tricky kitties but they might surprise us ... o_O:)

Djamila likes this.
  61. Yong & Maury GA

Not at all, Kris! Maury wants his own boat, visiting other kitties on his journey. I might call it A.D.D. (Attention Deficit Diabetes:p) but I still hope to get him somewhat better regulated lol. The only regulation he's giving me is a new facial expression :confused:. I know the numbers are better than when we started :cat:. Adding him to the list of "things that make you go hmm"

Kris & Teasel and Djamila like this.
  62. Yong & Maury GA

Side note: Going to get new vial now, should I still keep the other vial or use as much as I can up and toss it?

63. Kris & Teasel

I always kept a little of the old vial in case I dropped the new one and broke it. At least there'd be some insulin around until I could replace the lost one.

64. Djamila

Lol...Can't wait to see if that works! :bookworm:;)

And yes, clearly mark the old insulin as the old one, put it in a different place in the fridge, but keep it in case something bad happens to the new one.

65. Yong & Maury GA

Okie dokie. Will just use old vial for PM dose and start new vial in AM :). Me too, Djamila :) Will have to get some more pate flavours.

66. Yong & Maury GA

More than tiny drop in numbers today! :bighug: And a blue! :cool:

Rachel, Sharon14 and Kris & Teasel like this.
  67. Djamila

Hooray for BLUE!!! Go Maury!

Yong & Maury GA and Rachel like this.
  68. Yong & Maury GA

Will prob update SS in the morning when I check in but didn't want anyone to worry. PMPS 50. Stalled 20 minutes w/o feeding. 56. No shot. He's asking for another decrease, I think ;)

69. Djamila

It looks like none of our kitties want shots tonight. Have a great evening!

70. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

See this just convinces me even more that they actually talk to each other! :p

71. Djamila

Right?!?!

72. Djamila

I was just looking at the food list (looking for foods that are lower in phosphorus), and the Friskies tuna and egg is only listed at 6% carbs. Isn't that what you've been feeding? I would call that LC, not MC. I thought you said you were feeding MC. Am I just confused?

73. Yong & Maury GA

I was using those more for his lunches. MC were his meals but I'm trying to change that up :). Will be trying to use them as toppers / mixers for meals.

Djamila likes this.
  74. Yong & Maury GA

Maury was by himself on the trampoline last night after NS crew :(

75. Djamila

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.