? May I pick your brain

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Kitty mom, Feb 6, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kitty mom

Kitty mom Member

I'm thinking the more experienced members might have some good thoughts as to what's going on although I would like to hear everyone thoughts .

Both my cats have been in remission for 15 months or so. Since December both of them seem to have fluctuating BG anywhere from 80 to 150 on my Relion meters . They use to stay in the 60 to 90 range just depending on time and just the day.
    I have not taken them to the vet over theses numbers only because they don't stay in the upper range all the time. This morning one was at 114, 3 1/2 hours after eating the other was at 120, just days ago they were in the 80's and before that they were close to 150 . Things I did notice is that if they tend to be higher when they haven't eaten for 6 hours or more, we tend to feed every 5 hours or so.

There has been no increase in water intake or in the litter box and they seem happy as ever.
    Even if they were to need insulin again I don't think I would or could shoot these numbers as there so up and down.

Thoughts?

2. Anitafrnhamer

Anitafrnhamer Member

This would be an excellent question for your vet.

I am far from an expert but it just could be symptomatic of what I would call a "sputtering pancreas." When the pancreas is fluctuating in insulin production. Just continue to monitor.

It could also be slight variations in the carb content/source from one lot of food to the other.

Just throwing some ideas out there.

3. Kitty mom

Kitty mom Member

I too am leaning on the "sputtering pancreas " and I guess the vet would know what we should do at this point. I do believe we will at some point be back on insulin and am hopeful they achieve the OTJ status again with a little support.
    It's funny how both became diabetic at the same time in 2014 and are going through this together again.

Being littermates I would call this a genetic issue.

Has anyone ever dealt with Horny Pads? It's a growth that grows out of the top of the paw pad , both of mine have this but I trim it and so far they've been fine.

4. Andy & Pimp

Andy & Pimp Well-Known Member

Pimp's had one on his front right paw since he was about 3, I clip it back whenever I clip his claws. Doesn't bother him a bit but I find it rather stomach-churning. A thin one appeared on one of his back paws a few months back but it seems to have fallen off on its own.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.