Maybe I shouldn't have given a shot?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by FurBabiesMama, Oct 6, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FurBabiesMama

FurBabiesMama Well-Known Member

Hi. I have been able to gradually reduce Mia's dose, and she has been consistently in good numbers. I got down to what I am calling .10. I put the plunger even with the outside of the first (zero) line. So, this is a very tiny dose. I decided to take the leap and try stopping her shots to see if she was still able to maintain good numbers. I skipped five shots. It seemed that she was trending up a little over the last day, and when I got a 174 pre-shot test result this morning I decided that maybe I had stopped the insulin prematurely. I would feel so bad if I let her end up back over 200. So, I started her shots back this morning with the .10 dose. I was a little surprised to get results of 69 and 80 at +6. Those numbers are great, but that is such a significant drop from the 174, and the 69 is getting a little on the low side. (Keep in mind that I use an AlphaTrak2 meter and AT strips, so the numbers you see on her spreadsheet are not as low as they would be if I used a human meter.)

So, I am a little torn on this, and I am curious what you think. Should I have let her go a little longer without shots to see how things leveled out, or is she just going to continue to need this tiny dose? I don't think I could do a smaller dose... maybe I could, I guess I can try. I am thrilled that she is doing so well, and I don't want to blow it.

2. Dyana

Dyana Well-Known Member

The depot does take 5 days or so to build back up, but the 80 could have been because you gave some insulin, although I think the first insulin (her depot was drained after 5 cycles of no insulin) goes to building the depot and only some of it is used. I would suggest posting on the Lantus and Levemir forum for more eyes that know (and live) that specific insulin. There is a smaller dose. I used to call it one drop. It's where you hold the plunger in tightly and keen holding it in tightly while you insert the needle into the syringe or pen, and once the needle is in then release the plunger and a little bit of insulin will enter the syringe because of the vacuum. You could try it without injecting it into the cat and see how bit the drop is when you then press on the plunger again, and compare that drop size to the 0.10 dose you tried today.

Sylvie likes this.
  3. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

I think you probably did jump the gun a little.

Why did you drop from .25 to .1 on 9/27?

When we're trying to work a cat off of insulin, we want them to be able to stay in normal numbers at each dose for at least 7 days (with the majority of those numbers in green) before we reduce again and then the 7 days starts over....if they can maintain mostly greens for another 7 days, you reduce again, and on, and on.

We want to keep them on insulin as long as it's safely possible so we get a strong remission, not necessarily a fast one

4. FurBabiesMama

I dropped on 9/26 because she had been on .25 for nearly two weeks and was staying in normal numbers. After the drop to .10, she remained in normal numbers just over a week before I decided to try no shot. I realize her numbers were not all 'greens', but they were within normal range with the AlphaTrak. A lot of the 'blues' would be 'greens' if I used a human meter.

She has been on insulin for 15 months, so I wouldn't say I tried for a 'fast' remission. :) But, I know what you mean. That is why I was questioning whether I jumped the gun. I think I will stay on the .10 for awhile longer and see where it goes... then, I may try the 'one drop' thing.

Thanks.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2018
    Chris & China (GA) likes this.
  5. FurBabiesMama

This is why I was wondering if I should have held off a little longer before starting shots again. I feel like that 69 / 80 was more her than the insulin, but I'm sure the insulin gave her at least a little boost. On her own she may have still had a nice drop. I am going to stay with the .10 a bit longer, then I will try what you suggest for the 'one drop' dose next.

Thanks.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.