Me and Nervous Pervis

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Nervous Pervis and Terri, Feb 22, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nervous Pervis and Terri

Nervous Pervis and Terri Member

Hello! Our 12 year old, Nervous Pervis, was diagnosed last month. He is the sweetest cat around. Today the vet upped his insulin to 8 units of Prozinc, 2x a day and his numbers are now somewhere the 400 range (glucose panel at vet). I plan to read as much as I can in the forum to do what is best for him. I would love to do home monitoring. He isn't totally off dry food yet because we have two other cats, but that change is coming this week. I am also feeding him a low-carb canned food. He now weighs around 12 lbs, which is small for him.

2. MrWorfMen's Mom

MrWorfMen's Mom Well-Known Member

Hi Terri and Nervous Pervis! (I'll bet there's an interesting story behind that great name!;)) Welcome to FDMB. You've come the right place to get all the info and support you will ever need to help get Nervous Pervis on the road to regulation.

Getting the dry food totally out of his diet will no doubt lower his insulin needs so it would be a good idea to start testing before you remove it from his diet completely. Most kibbles are extremely high in carbs and switching to an all canned low carb diet can bring about a very dramatic lowering of glucose. That change could be substantial enough to put Nervous Pervis in danger given the amount of insulin you are giving him.

8 units of ProZinc is extremely high for a kitty just diagnosed last month. And if you are doing curves at the vet, the glucose levels taken there are usually higher than they would be at home (sometime by 100-200 points) as a result of the stress most kitties experience from the travel and strange environment.

With those things in mind, I think you would be very wise to start home monitoring ASAP to keep Nervous Pervis safe and we can help you learn how.

Come on over to the Health Forum here and let us know what we can do to help get you started. I'll be watching for you! :)

3. Bobbie And Bubba

Bobbie And Bubba Well-Known Member

Hi Terri and Welcome. I am really glad you found us because there is a lot of information here to learn. And, I am really glad you want to learn to home monitor especially since your kitty is on an awfully high dose. Most cats are started off on 1 unit twice a day.

I see where Linda just welcomed you and directed you to the Health Forum where you can learn how to test and anything else you want to know, just shout.

4. Nervous Pervis and Terri

Nervous Pervis and Terri Member

Thanks to both of you for the kind welcome. There is an interesting story to ol' Nervous Pervis. ;) I'll hop on over to the health forum and check it out. After I posted, I thought that I shouldn't have said that I am going to totally get him off the dry food because diet is so important. So, I will start home monitoring before a big diet change for him.

MrWorfMen's Mom likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.