Meal times relative to Novolin N injection

Discussion in 'Caninsulin / Vetsulin and N / NPH' started by Kot, Dec 25, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kot

Kot Member

Hi,
    our cat was diagnosed with diabetes year and a half ago but went into a "temporary" remission after having a hypoglycemic episode over a year ago. We are back to high BG numbers since 10 days ago (more like three weeks ago or more judging by his fructosamine numbers). Vet suggested 2U of Novolin N twice a day (we were on Lantus before) after trying for 1U twice a day. We just started 2U last night. I am doing a blood glucose curve and seems like he is dropping from over 500 to 150 within four hours but then it rises up fast, especially if he has a snack - from 150 to 300 within an hour. Is it the food intake relative to insulin peak? or too low of a dose of insulin? or am I doing BG curve too soon?

Thanks.

Attached Files:

2. Kot

Kot Member

Just checked at 3:30pm (hour after his last reading) he dropped to 126 from 299.

3. Sue and Oliver (GA)

Sue and Oliver (GA) Well-Known Member

I'd suggest you post on Health; you will get more replies. There are few N users and no one using this forum. N is a harsher insulin (with a harsh onset usually dropping 3-5 hours after the shot) and doesn't last as long as other insulins (usually running out 8-10 hours after the shot). It does look like his pattern is pretty normal for N. It is important that you feed before giving the insulin to soften the onset. And you can feed 2-4 hours after the shot to bring up that onset, depending on his pattern of droppimg.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.