Meatball 2/21 AMPS 415 PMSP 515

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by Molly, Feb 21, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Molly

Molly Member

Hello,

Well, I just don't understand Meatball.

Last night we had a urine culture done so I can know for sure if he possibly has an infection which is messing with his ability to respond to the insulin - I think we will get the results of that on Weds. Have still not been able to test for ketones since Friday afternoon. Though he is eating and drinking regularly, he is doing less of both since Friday - so he is subsequently urinating less often. Based on his behavior and BG #'s I think he probably still has ketones. I am giving him fluids - 100ml 2x per day - trying to be safe rather than sorry when it comes to him staying hydrated.

I gave him 3u tonight, I need to see some drop in his numbers, and there has been none ... I was just reviewing his ss and he has not been below 200 since the beginning of the month.

Not sure if this is relevant or not, but I really wonder if all of these fishy-flavored Friskie's I'm feeding him are not settling well with him. Boss (his littermate) is even seeming to lose interest in this wet food - and they were both ravenous for it when I made the initial switch.

Another pleasant tidbit... Friday and yesterday Meatball had diarrhea. Today very soft stool, but not exactly diarrhea. I think this is my least favorite part. I can handle all the needles and poking - even the giant needle for giving the fluids - but chasing him to the litterbox every time is see him head in that direction. Actually getting excited that I might be able to get a urine sample - oh man.

2. Molly

Molly Member

WOOO HOOOOOOO ketone test = none!!!! i did three strips b/c i couldn't believe it! Now off for a celebratory drink! :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

3. Gator & H (GA)

Gator & H (GA) Well-Known Member

Whew, I bet that's a relief!

4. Joanna & Bix (GA)

Joanna & Bix (GA) Well-Known Member

Yay, no ketones is AWESOME news!!!! Makes sense to me to try 3u, and maybe now w/no ketones you'll be able to hold that dose for a few days and see if it helps. You may have to play around with foods til you find what works, cats being cats. :)

For spots tests, depending on your shooting schedule, often a bedtime test can be useful. Even though it won't be a +6 or anything (unless you are a night-owl!), anything really is good data to help fill in the gaps and get a picture of what is going on. Sometime when you are bored :) there is merit in getting even a +1 or a +2 here and there. All data is good data. :) It can help you get an idea of when the insulin kicks in for him, and how high he might be going before it does. Although I was at times an overtester :oops: I found that tracking the #s for a short stretch, like getting a PS, +2 and +4 in the same cycle, or a PS, +1, +2 in one cycle, or any variations on that theme, helped me get a much better understanding of how Bix reacted to the insulin. Just a thought - no need to stress yourself out with getting more tests, but that way you can still collect useful data during the week.

If he doesn't respond soon and money is not an issue, I'd also consider getting the blood tests if you haven't already to check for other things that can lead to a need for higher doses - Acro & insulin resistance I think are the two. I don't know the test details, but there are plenty of others around who do if you want to pursue that at some point. I'm not saying it's needed, but just something to have in mind if you aren't finding he responds much to lower doses.

5. Gator & H (GA)

Gator & H (GA) Well-Known Member

Nancy knows the details on the Acro tests.

I have specific instructions/best practices/guidelines for sending samples off to Universities. Please do ask me if you get to that point - it's important if you do do that that you program that scenario for success.

6. Ele & Blackie (GA)

Ele & Blackie (GA) Well-Known Member

So glad to hear no ketones! That must be such a relief for you. You might try other varieties of canned food. Sometimes kitties can be allergic to fish. I have one civie that loves the fish flavors, but I still only give the kitties fish once a week. I hope Meatball's numbers come down soon. I know how frustrating and scary those high numbers can be.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.