Meatball 3/2 AMPS 403 PMPS 500

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by Molly, Mar 2, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Molly

Molly Member

Well, I am exhausted tonight for sure. Too much staying up late to test BG #s and read wiki articles. I posted in health tonight, as someone suggested yesterday.

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=7943
    We'll see what happens.

FYI - I'm particularly open to trying a new insulin now b/c either way, i have to buy more very soon. I'm almost out of my first bottle of Prozinc. I've heard good things about Lantus, but not a lot about Levemir at this point. Will have to do some more research about that.

I got a message back from nestle about the fancy feast info. They said they would be happy to provide some information for me, but I had to tell them one or two specific flavors. I was aiming high I guess, and just asked for information about all FF flavors when I sent the original email. Maybe we could coordinate an effort somehow - a few different people asking about a few flavors each, and get ourselves a decent list. IT's very simple to email then through their website, and then there is no time spent on the phone! WOO HOO.

I'm going to bed now... *yawn* g'night!

2. Sarah and Buzz

Sarah and Buzz Well-Known Member

Regarding a possible insulin switch, in addition to your own outside research, I would go to both Lantus and Levemir ISGs. Read the stickies, and then post in each group explaining your situation. I did that twice (months apart) before switching and I found I got some good info. You will get quite a few "it's the best insulin ever" type comments, but if you ask for hard and fast reasons WHY it's the best insulin ever (in their opinion) you will get some good info.

It's also helpful to have an idea in your mind of what you want out of an insulin. Is remission your goal? Can you shoot on a strict 12/12 schedule, or do you need more flexibility? What are the reasons you're considering a switch? Is there something specific you don't like about ProZinc or are you just exploring your options? For example, just about the only thing I was unhappy with about Idexx PZI was the WILD swings Buzz experienced on a semi-regular basis (from 400 to 40 in one cycle). So an insulin that offered a gentler curve was of high importance to me. If you are clear in your own mind about your hopes/expectations, that in and of itself can sometimes narrow things down a bit.

It's also worth considering (but perhaps not a deal breaker) how your vet will feel about prescribing Lantus or Levemir. More vets will have heard of Lantus (probably by the name glargine) than of Levemir. That's not a reason to go with Lantus over Lev, just a reality. Some vets won't want to prescribe either because they aren't approved for use in cats. Since you will need an rx, it's maybe worth talking to him/her about first to see where he/she stands on a switch in general, and then which of the Ls he/she is more comfortable with. Again, I don't think you should base your decision on what your vet is comfortable with, but if it's going to be a battle, that's something you have to prepare for. ;)

3. Terri and Lucy

Terri and Lucy Member

Keep in mind that Lantus is most effective for newly diagnosed cats. Many of those who will tell you how wonderful Lantus is have never used another insulin so their cats have an advantage.

The important thing right now is to break these high numbers and the threat of ketones. If you switch to Lantus, you will need to use a short acting insulin in conjunction with the Lantus.

4. Sarah and Buzz

Sarah and Buzz Well-Known Member

Just out of curiosity, Terri, is "newly diagnosed" considered to be <6 months since dx?

5. Joanna & Bix (GA)

Joanna & Bix (GA) Well-Known Member

Terri, I'm curious if with Lev she would want a fast-acting insulin too? I have the impression (not sure if it's correct?) that with Lantus they can often spend weeks in high #s til their shed is full. Is Lev different in that regard? Just curious...

Molly, I'm hoping her ketones have improved and she is still acting well. Hope you both sleep well! I-)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.