Meatball 3/8 ... sticking with Prozinc

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by Molly, Mar 8, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Molly

Molly Member

Well, after a lot of thinking over the weekend, and curve that looks a little bit better than anything else has to date, I've decided to stick it out with ProZinc. Also a timely crazy weekend showed me that shooting precisely every 12 will sometime be nearly impossible.

I have a something of a new game plan. I'm such a planner... Anyway, I'm going to get some R insulin and try to use that to break through some of the high numbers. I'm really interested in hearing from anyone who has experience with this. I know someone called out a few people who were in another post, so I'll be sending out to PM's to anyone I can find! My parents are actually going to get it for me... it's crazy, in Upstate NY, it costs $20/vial. At my corner CVS...$64!!! So I'll have that in early April.

Also, I just reordered my insulin tonight, and did what Gator suggested in this post:

viewtopic.php?f=24&t=4645

Found the price ($80) on AtoZvetsupply.com (where the shipping was $40 for overnight), then called 1800petmeds, got a price match, used a $5 off coupon, and got the overnight shipping for $20. Not bad at all! Less than $100 in total.

Meatball is eating/hungry like crazy. And today he had some Ketones, but it might be my fault. I think I didn't give him any insulin at all this morning! Ahh! I can clearly remember doing the BG test, and then I fed them, but I cannot remember giving him the shot. I also cannot clearly NOT remember giving it, but anyhow, lots of fluids tonight, and I'll be keeping a very close eye on him. I'll get another reading tonight if I can.

2. Donna & Buddha

Donna & Buddha Member

Molly, before I started testing amps and pmps, some days I would have a lot of trouble remembering if I had given a shot. After it becomes routine, it can be really hard (for me anyway.) Now that I'm testing all the time its easier.

When I ordered my U100 syringes from Hock's, one of their suggested other items to buy was a syringe minder. It's like a weekly pill minder, only sized to hold your syringes. I was all excited about it, then my syringes arrived and they are individually packaged. So they don't fit, unless I peel them open. For a while, when I pulled out a new strip of syringes, I'd write on the package Mon. am, Mon pm, etc.

Buddha's been absolutely ravenous today too. And he escaped outside. It's been so long since I've seen him run. Gotta love spring.

I hope the R works for you. Please keep posting your results.

3. Nancy and Cody

Nancy and Cody Well-Known Member

Every time I open a new bag of syringes, I take a sharpey and write M, T, W, TH, F, S, Su x 2 on the white caps. It all becomes too repetitive and if you are thinking about something else while your in process..... it's really easy to goof once in awhile. This has really helped me.

I want to try R also .. maybe we can compare!

4. Molly

Molly Member

Hi Donna,

I was just reading through some posts a bit ago, and realized I missed the post about the Fancy Feast until tonight (Since I shop in 'urban' grocery stores which have a pitiful selection of cat food, I buy whatever I can get my hands on that doesn't have gravy :razz: ).

I didn't realize we were both in the same boat with the crazy numbers. I will definitely keep you posted. Maybe if something works for me, it could work for you too!

Have you noticed any correlation between his BG levels or the amount of insulin he's getting and his hunger? Sometimes I just cannot believe how persistent (read:annoying) Meatball can be when he's that hungry... it's usually about 2 hours before I feed that he'll start poking me in the face, sitting on my feet, sometimes clawing my leg! Drives me crazy. But one evening, last Friday to be exact, I definitely forgot to give him the insulin at night. I remembered clearly in the morning when I went to give the shot that I had not given it the night before. But he actually let me sleep in until 9:30 on Saturday morning, rather than poking me in the face at 6:00am to wake me. That ravenous hunger was not there, he did not have ketones, and he ate his 2 cans of Fancy Feast and seems satisfied. He seemed very normal, if that exists.

Update: Ketones seem to be gone. Weird. I hate those things.

5. Sarah and Buzz

Sarah and Buzz Well-Known Member

I'm glad you decided to stick it out with ProZinc and that you have a new plan in place. I'm a planner too; it really does help with the feelings of "I don't know what I'm doing".

That is interesting about Meatball not bothering you when you forgot to give him insulin. I haven't had that experience, so I'm not sure why that would be. But it's interesting nonetheless. ;) They really can be annoying when they want food, can't they? Hopefully once he gets regulated he will be less hungry (as Buzz was).

6. Donna & Buddha

Donna & Buddha Member

In general Buddha is hungriest when his bg is high. Though he does surprise me. I sometimes wonder if he gets the munchies when his sugar is dropping.

Yesterday he was a starving kitty, today he was a nibbler.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.