medical question

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by allison and Bubbles, Apr 9, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. allison and Bubbles

allison and Bubbles Member

hi everyone. .its Bubbles mom...I sent a medical question to a member here and she suggested i ask it in the main forum ...for anyone who may have had this experience ...
    my other kitty Mor Mor is 15 and has been living with CRF for a cppl years with no noticeable difficulties ...until recently ....
    he is doing this occasional twitching and trembling thing....its barely noticeable unless you are really watching....the vet said he thought she may have injested a neurotoxin ...but that was two weeks ago and his behavior continues...he doesnt appear to be in pain as he experiences these "tremors" during his sleep and he is still able to keep sleeping peacefully. ..has anyone seen this before? His appetite has decreased also....

2. Squalliesmom

Squalliesmom Well-Known Member

It sounds very similar to something my Squallie has done for years - almost all his life, really. Whatever it is, it has never bothered him; I don't even think he's aware of it happening.

3. jayla-n-Drevon

jayla-n-Drevon Well-Known Member

My Rico does a leg twitch thing he is almost 20 years and been giving sq to slow CRF for years.
    The twitch is usually at night for some reason .... I never found a reason but like Lucy says with Squallie it doesn't seem to bother him.
    His appetite could be due to the CRF and the toxins built up. If giving fluids he may need more might want to ask vet. Also ondansetron is awesome for nausea (which is often the case with kidney cats) and a appy stimulate.
    I would give ondansetron and the stim together because if has nausea you don't want him to eat and feel yucky.

I have also had good luck with one of mine using azodyl for CRF--

Canna pet may be a good option too especially for senior cats, we use Canna Pet.

allison and Bubbles likes this.
  4. allison and Bubbles

thanks so much you guys!...

5. Bellasmom

Bellasmom Well-Known Member

Bella has focal facial seizures where he will blink a few times and his head twitches, my vet said the meds he could give him would be more harmful than the twitches

6. allison and Bubbles

bellasmom...thx for responding ...what is causing the focal facial seizures?

7. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

Cc does a leg twitch thing for about a year. I always assumed it was related to her arthritis. Maybe not. Who knows. Her kidneys are fine (knock on wood so it's not that). So the twitch may or may not be related to the crf.

There's a really good crf support group on fb called Cats with Chronic Renal Failure.

8. Bellasmom

They don’t know I can get a MRI 1000.00 to find out for sure, they asked if he ever went outside and I said he has never went outside they said there could be reasons if he did maybe got into something I’m guessing,but since he don’t they don’t know. To me, it seems like the electricity is not functioning right, not real electrcity just what I call it, it’s like there’s a few second stall then he’s back

9. Bellasmom

Bella’s sister does the leg twitching only while sleeping I think she is dreaming

10. Bellasmom

Here’s a better way of explaining, it’s like when you are at home and the electricity flickers off for a sec then comes back on, that the way he looks, I hate it but can’t do mri

11. allison and Bubbles

hi janet and bellasmom...this might be useful...it came from magic johnson...hypercalcemia (excess of calcium ) can cause these tremors....also high levels or too low of potassium ...also high levels of phosphorus ....three different things that can apparently happen woth CRF....

Bellasmom likes this.
  12. Bellasmom

I was looking at Bella’s blood work and all is normal,except calcium is 1pt to high, the er vet I went to, he had another uti that was why we were there, I just mentioned it to her and she said it could be some kind of tumor or cancer I said he’s been doing it forever it, if it was 1 of those he would already be gone. I think they were just wanting me to spend more money and scaring me so I would. My personal vet said not to worry it wasn’t bad but if I wanted to do MRI to find out for sure I could, he didn’t find that Bella needed one

13. JanetNJ

In CC'S case all the bloodwork is fine (other than diabetes). so it's not that. I'm not too worried about it. She gets adequan shots for arthritis and I give preventative zobaline and her numbers aren't super high so it's not neuropathy. It's just a slight twitch every so often in her front legs. Like a little muscle spasam.

14. monty_dweezil (GA)

monty_dweezil (GA) Member

All his life, Dweezy had those kind of trembles / twitches. Hardly noticeable unless you watched him. Usually only when sleepy or falling asleep, not actually asleep.

His legs / hips would slightly twitch sometimes, sort of like a little very subtle jerk. And as he would begin to fall asleep, or be relaxing, he'd kind of twitch his head. Like it would kind of...it's hard to explain in words. We called it his Katherine Hepburns as when she was older she would tremble in a similar way sort of.

We asked our vet about it years ago, but there seemed to be no answer or cause for concern.

15. Bellasmom

So when cats get neuropathy it’s from numbers being to high to long??

16. allison and Bubbles

hi Bellasmom...Im sorry if i put out confusing information ...it was an article i read online that another member suggested i take a look at...I really dont know that levels of minerals in your kitty 's bloodwork cause any kind of neuropathy at all...I think this would be a question for your veterinarian ...

17. Bellasmom

No, Im not confused, just wanted to know if that’s what cause neuropathy in diabetic cats

18. allison and Bubbles

you could google it....? theres some interesting articles about different things that cause mild twitches and tremors in our cats...not sure if they are linked to neurological issues...

Bellasmom likes this.
  19. Bellasmom

Bella doesn’t have it I know, just curious that’s all, he has focal facial seizures, it’s just his head and his eyes flutter

20. JanetNJ

Yes it's pretty common. In people too. It's fixed with lower bg and usually b12 methylcobalamin supplement.

21. monty_dweezil (GA)

monty_dweezil (GA) Member

I've read that quite long term high blood glucose can lead to diabetic nuropathy, yes. I sometimes wondered how Dweezy never got that, when he got ketones instead.

I also now wonder if he had those facial focal seizures.

22. PussCatPrince - GA

PussCatPrince - GA Well-Known Member

Yup.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.