Medication and feeding protocol?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by nslade001, Nov 20, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nslade001

nslade001 Well-Known Member

Hi, so recently diagnosed willow is inappetant and nauseous, and now showing signs of pain (lying on cold floor, hiding) but not meatloafing yet. And we have a long move from Nova Scotia to Ontario this Friday or weekend, a 12 hour drive.

We went to the vet who gave us Cerenia injectable as well as oral for nausea, injectable famotidine (antacid), oral bupe for pain, and mirtazapine for appetite stimulant.
    Also, NaCl for SQ fluids.

She said there was no particular order to give, just as needed, but said to start the antacids (yesterday, before the trip).

Gave famotidine last night and this morning she came on the bed and purred, and came out a few times looking for food!!! So that was good, but she was still nauseous. Fed her, gave her Cerenia, but no real difference. She started going under the bed so we gave her bupe. Sleeping now.*

*Edited to say, not sleeping. Lying sternal, eyes dilated, seems a bit disoriented, zoned, looking around. I'd say she's in pain. If she's not in pain she's stoned, without the benefit of the munchies.BG is currently 9.9 at +4, up from 6.8 at +2. This is not usual so far; her nadir seems to be around +4, her +4 is usually lower than her +2 .
    Going to the library in a few minutes to update her SS.

Is there a preferred order it time to give these drugs in relation to each other and feedings? Would morning or night be better for antacid?

And I sort of expected LRS for SQ fluids; is there a preference for either NaCl or LRS with these guys?

Thanks so much! With love,
    Nikki

Last edited: Nov 20, 2018
  2. SpotsMom

SpotsMom Member

Really the only consideration is to make sure you give the anti nausea or antacid before the appetite stimulant. For fluids, I’ve heard NaCl can sting a bit so lactated ringers is preferred if you can get it.

3. nslade001

Tha
    Thanks @SpotsMom . I was actually editing my post as you responded, as willow seems to be oddly in pain around an hour after the bupe, or stoned.
    With love,
    Nikki

4. SpotsMom

SpotsMom Member

Buprenorphine is an opioid pain killer. Spot always has an oversized reaction to it. His eyes get buggy and he looks stoned for a few hours after getting it, also has no interest in food in that time... like he doesn’t even know what to do with food. That’s why I started him on CBD oil.. because I didn’t like what the bupe did to him. I save the bupe for when he’s in the worst pain.

Could you reduce the dose and see if she does any better?

5. nslade001

Hi, yes she ate when finger fed but still seemed weird. and she went under the bed, which is something she has *never* done except earlier today (the reason i gave the bupe).
    I was just about to look up dosages and see the recommended to see if I gave her a "high" dose or what, and plan to reduce next time around.
    What is CBD oil?
    Thanks, with love,
    Nikki

6. SpotsMom

SpotsMom Member

CBD (cannabidiol) oil is a relative of marijuana but without the THC that causes the high. It has been very helpful at keeping the pancreatitis symtoms at bay. I buy it online from cbdMD.com but I’m not sure what the rules are for Canada...

nslade001 likes this.
  7. Elizabeth and Bertie

Elizabeth and Bertie Well-Known Member

Bupe had (what sounds like) a very similar effect on my old tortie. And like SpotsMom's cat, my old tortie had no interest in food while under its influence. ...Some cats do really well on Bupe. But some seem to have overly strong responses to it....

nslade001 likes this.
  8. nslade001

[Q And like SpotsMom's cat, my old tortie had no interest in food while under its influence. ...Some cats do really well on Bupe. But some seem to have overly strong responses to it....[

Willow just upped and started eating some, I guess the bupe is down to a pain free but not zoned dose :)

9. nslade001

Well marijuana was just legalized so I'll definitely look into that. Could you please tell me what dose is recommended?
    With love, nikki

10. SpotsMom

SpotsMom Member

Start low and work your way up but Spot ended up at 5mg per day on good days and up to 10mg per day on days when he’s feeling not so good. The only risk in giving too much is a sleepy kitty so there is a lot of room to adjust the dose as needed.

nslade001 likes this.
  11. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

Note the NaCl frequently stiles when infused, LRS does not.
    Also for info, famotidine is NOT an antacid, it does not neutralize acid in the stomach. It is an acid reducer in that it inhibits the production of acid.

nslade001 likes this.
  12. nslade001

Thanks for the info, I think I'll use LRS.
    With love,
    Nikki

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.