Medications to avoid at dental?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Pudge, Nov 29, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pudge

Pudge Member

Hello,
    I’m sending pudge for a consult tomorrow with an ABVP vet to get his dental cleaning done next week. Is there any medications I should ask the vet to avoid? Any tips or suggestions would be appreciated as this is his first dental

2. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

Metacam which is a pain and anti inflammatory drug
    Covinia which is an injectable antibiotic which lasts about 2 weeks for a single injection. The problem is that it is nit tolerated for some cats and if problems it stays in the body a long time. However, I have used it for one of my cats after a dental since he was very hard to pill/use liquid antibiotics and I risked damaging the sutures in his mouth when administering an oral antibiotic.

Pudge likes this.
  3. Pudge

Pudge Member

Perfect! That’s exactly what I needed, thank you :)

4. Idjit's mom

Idjit's mom Well-Known Member

Larry, just so I understand, the Covinia and Metacam should be avoided, correct? I just made Idjit's dental appointment for next Monday, and was looking back at different threads because I remembered that one of our member's cats had some real problems after a dental recently. Do you have any advice on what to request instead of the above?

5. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

IF an antibiotic is needed at all, Clindamycin is a good one for dental issues. Not all AB's work well in the mouth. Also remember to start a probiotic with an AB to keep the "good bacteria" in the intestines.

Buprenephrine is the usual pain medication we recommend. It's a liquid oral medication that is absorbed in the tissues, so you don't need to get it down their throat.....just in the "pouch" in their cheeks so it can be absorbed

6. Idjit's mom

Thank you so much Chris, I was just combing your previous posts about China and her troubles after her last dental, to find more info. I will write these down, and take them in with me when we take Idjit to the vet on Monday. He was supposed to go in September, but I spaced it and got to thinking that we were past due. When I called I was told there was a note in his records about a "gray tooth" but that was his diabetes dx day, and I sure don't remember that at all. I looked over all the paperwork from that day and nothing there either. So, I am anticipating the worst: extraction(s) and trying to be informed. What probiotic would you recommend please.

7. Chris & China (GA)

Any probiotic is fine (no sugar of course)….and the more strains it contains, the better. A lot of people use the Renew Life from WalMart

8. Idjit's mom

Thank you very much. I see it's in capsules and Idjit is NOT a pill taker, I would have to sprinkle it on his food. What would be the dosage for him, just open one cap and put in his food?

9. Idjit's mom

Sorry, Pudge, I hijacked your thread, but maybe some of this info will be helpful to you too. We are both nervous about the dentals. :confused:

10. Chris & China (GA)

No, not the whole capsule (although it's not like they can OD on probiotics)

I'd think 1/3 to 1/2 would be more than enough

Idjit's mom likes this.
  11. Pudge

Pudge Member

No problem! Thank you for asking questions, I feel a little less nervous having more information :) Fingers crossed everything goes smoothly for Idgit's dental

Idjit's mom likes this.
  12. Idjit's mom

Just an FYI, Idjit went for dental today, and he is doing fine. We will fetch him home in a couple of hours, I hope most of the anesthesia is worn off, and he will be back to his slightly weird self! When is Pudge's dental going to be?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.