Meet Sonny

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Somny's Mom, Apr 24, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Somny's Mom

Somny's Mom New Member

Sonny is our 16 year old boy. He was feral when we got him and think was about a year old so the age is not for sure. He was diagnosed in March 28th when we took him to the vet after he stopped eating. They gave us vetsulin, told us to give him 2 units twice a day and to come back in a month. That did not work out well. We took him back to the vet in the 30th and he stayed two nights. He was still not regulated. He had been on an IV when he was there. They left the catheter in his arm when he came home Friday. They took it out Saturday. BG still high Saturday. Back on Monday the 4th for another BG check. Still high. We asked about home monitoring. It was discouraged and they said it would cause him to resent us. By Wednesday 4/6 he was doing so poorly when we got home from work that we brought him to our local emergency hospital. Turns out by then his high BG was the least of our worries. He had a severe infection from the IV catheter. His arm was purple colored. We felt terrible for not even noticing. He stayed in the ICU for four nights. He had somogyi effect going on too. We brought him home Sunday the 10th. He came home with 2 oral antibiotics, eye ointment because his eyes were weepy, pain killer, appetite stimulant, and then added pro pectalin to thd mix once his explosive diarrhea started. Luckily we had cancelled our vacation that had planned for that week and stayed home to take care of him. We are getting all of our care from this hospital now. We will not return to the old vet for any reason. as of today his arm is still healing. It had some necrosis but the necrosis is gone now. He still has s way to go. We are in the process of switching him to wet food. Right now he is eating about half wet and half dry. We have him on fancy feast classic. He is on 2.5u BId of vetsulin. His numbers are still high. His spirits are up though and that is the most important thing to us right now. The new vets warned us that getting BG regulated will be hard while he is still healing. I'm not sure vetsulin is right for him though and will be discussing it with the new vet soon.

scoobydoox likes this.
  2. Mum of two felines

Mum of two felines Member

wow you've and Sonny have been through the ringer! I am so sorry that all this has happened to you. Unfortunately most vets do not have the knowledge of treating FD. But, I am glad you found a vet that is willing to help get Sonny well and regulated. If you ever have any questions you can ask them on the feline Health Forum.

By the way, are you home testing? It is the best way to get Sonny regulated, knowing what his body is doing.

3. Somny's Mom

Somny's Mom New Member

We are home testing with the alphatrek2.

4. Olive & Paula

Olive & Paula Well-Known Member

Oh poor Sonny. Hope he feels better soon. And YEAH for home testing. A very good decision on your part.

Stock up on test strips. The thing you don't want to do is run out of them. I use to use AT but when I realized how long Smokey would need them I switched to Wal-Mart relion micro meter. Usually use minimum 3 strips a day. Today will be more because he is trying to get to the lagoon (lingo for safe low numbers). So frequent monitoring will be necessary today.

5. Sarah Smith

Sarah Smith Member

Welcome to you and Sonny. I am so sorry you and your boy are going through all of this, but glad to see you have a vet now that is trying to help you get Sonny back to himself. Sending purrs and healing vibes for Sonny and you!

6. scoobydoox

scoobydoox Member

Wow. big hugs to you and sonny! :bighug:

7. Critter Mom

Critter Mom Well-Known Member

((((((((Sonny))))))))

Poor baby! :( I'm so glad he has such loving and caring beans. Smart move looking for a new vet. I've attached a document below which will help you to learn more about the better, longer-acting insulins for cats.

Sending many prayers and healing thoughts for your brave boy. I wish him better really soon.

:bighug:

Mogs

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 25, 2016
  8. Sarah Smith

Sarah Smith Member

Mogs did you forget the attachment or am I just missing it? Was curious to read it myself :)

Critter Mom likes this.
  9. Critter Mom

Critter Mom Well-Known Member

Ta for spotting that, Sarah. :oops: Attachment now in place. (CFS really bad these days.)

Mogs

Sarah Smith likes this.
  10. Somny's Mom

Somny's Mom New Member

Thank you!

Critter Mom likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.