Meet Vilas the Cat

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by AngieR, Dec 3, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AngieR

AngieR New Member

Hello! Meet Vilas the cat (named after Henry Vilas zoo in Madison, Wisconsin, US). He is a 7 year old orange tabby and the sweetest boy. He is extremely well behaved, friendly to everyone, and a great lap cat. The only way I knew to even take him to the vet was because he was drinking and peeing a lot. Absolutely nothing even changed in his behavior to let me know he is sick!

He was just diagnosed with diabetes a few days ago. He is getting a curve done at the vet today but I'd like to do all of his testing at home after that. I just switched him to Fancy Feast Classics wet food a few days ago and he is loving it (switched from a hard food).

I know that his glucose levels may be higher at the vet and I know that they may start to change over time with his change in food but I have several questions about testing at home. I work outside of the home full-time Monday-Friday but I can take days off here and there to do the curve or test him on weekends.

The type of insulin she prescribed is Novolin which I've read mixed reviews on here but its a start. I got the Relion Micro monitor from Walmart.

Here are my big questions thus far:

1. What is the best time to administer the insulin? My vet told me that ideally, I will give him the shots at the same time every day, then wait an hour or two before feeding him.
    2. If I test his glucose, when is the best time to do that? Do I test, then give insulin, then feed?
    3. A friend shared the spreadsheet on this forum but what exactly do the numbers across the top mean?
    4. I bought a human blood glucose monitor, are there conversions I need to be aware of?

THANK YOU for any help and advice! My vet doesn't seem to think that this is too big of a deal to treat but Vilas is my baby and has been my main companion for the last 6 years.

Attached Files:

2. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

Welcome.
    Good insulin are the human Lantus and Levemir and the pet insulins ProZinc and BCP PZI. For those two human insulin it is best to get the 5 pack of 3 ml disposable pens via a 10 ml vial. Although per ml the vial is less expensive most cats will not use up a 10 ml vial before the insulin goes bad/becomes ineffective. The human insulin N/NPH is sometimes prescribed but only lasts 8-10 hours. Same for the pet insulin Vetsulin/Caninisulin.
    You are right about home testing the Relion Micro is a good meter We test before each shot and periodically between shots. We record our reading and other info in a spreadsheet. See:http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/...te-a-ss-and-link-it-in-your-signature.130337/
    Fancy Feat is a good food
    Hopefully yo are talking about Novolin N insulin. Novolin is Novo Nordisk's trade name for a family of Recombinant DNA origin insulins. They include N (sometimes called NPH), and R (very fast actions) and mixture of the two. Only N/NPH is OK, but not that good, for cats.
    Here is a link to home testing blood sugarshttp://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/hometesting-links-and-tips.287/

• What is the best time to administer the insulin? My vet told me that ideally, I will give him the shots at the same time every day, then wait an hour or two before feeding him.
    • Answer: Insulin is given twice daily at about the same time. With N/NPH insulin you test, feed and 15 minutes to 30 minutes later you shoot. With the other you can shot right after feeding. Sometimes it is necessary to shoot when the cat is still finishing their food so the feeding is distracting them.
    • If I test his glucose, when is the best time to do that? Do I test, then give insulin, then feed?
    • Answer: Measure, feed and then shoot
    • A friend shared the spreadsheet on this forum but what exactly do the numbers across the top mean?
    • Answer: Those indicate the time after the shot that the BG was taken. The dose is based on the lowest BG measure so you have to periodically measure BG throughout the day at about 2 hour intervals. that is call a curve.
    • I bought a human blood glucose monitor, are there conversions I need to be aware of?
    • Answer; No conversion. Human meter when using feline blood tend to read lower that vet lab equipment and the pet meters like the Alpha Trac.

3. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

You'll want to read over the Humulin/Novolin user guide to help you use this insulin optimally. Most importantly, since it tends to hit like a rock, you test, then feed, at least 30 minutes before you shoot.

4. Sharon14

Sharon14 Well-Known Member

Hi Angie, welcome to you and Vilas. He sure is a handsome boy! So glad you've changed your feeding and are planning to test. I don't have any experience with Novolin, but I believe it is a fast acting insulin and that you must make sure Vilas eats before you inject. Also make sure you test before you feed so you can be sure his BG is high enough to give insulin. When you pick him up from the vet, ask for a copy of the curve results, that will help people here if you have any questions on dosing.

5. Olive & Paula

Olive & Paula Well-Known Member

Very handsome fella!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.