Merlin

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by JanetNJ, Jul 23, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

Moving a conversation from the welcome forum to main health forum.

http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/introduction-advice-needed.198874/#post-2223345

Ok good. Now going forward.

This morning take a reading Around 7-7:15 with no food at least 2 hours prior to the preshot test. Then feed and shoot at 7:30.

Vetsulin usually peeks between 4-6 hours after the shot so if you can get a reading or two in that time frame it will give more info on what the shot is doing.

@Kris & Teasel

Last edited: Jul 23, 2018
    Valerie0116 likes this.
  2. Valerie0116

Valerie0116 New Member

He seemed okay last night with the 4 units; his reading at midnight was 194. His reading this morning just now was 454. We can get a reading around 11am, but unfortunately no one will be home after that.

3. JanetNJ

Ok well get a reading when you can. :). Good job getting the signature up.

4. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

I've just read the other thread. OMG - that was a scary low number!! :eek: Testing Merlin at home and logging your numbers in the spreadsheet we use here is the best way to help us help you and him. Here's the basic testing routine we recommend:
    1. test every day AM and PM before feeding and injecting (no food at least 2 hours before) to see if the planned dose is safe
    2. test at least once near mid cycle or at bedtime daily to see how low the BG goes
    3. do extra tests on days off to fill in the response picture
    4. if indicated by consistently high numbers on your spreadsheet, increase the dose by no more than 0.25 u at a time so you don't accidentally go right past a good dose
    5. post here for advice whenever you're confused or unsure of what to do.
    Here's the link to the spreadsheet setup:
    http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/fdmb-spreadsheet-instructions.130337/

5. JanetNJ

Right??? Omg that cat used up at least one of those 9 lives.

6. Kris & Teasel

Yes! :eek::facepalm:

7. Valerie0116

Valerie0116 New Member

Hi guys, so my mom gave 2 units at 7:30 after taking a reading before eating and it being 454. She took a reading at 10:30am and it was 193. Does that seem too low for only being 3 hours after?

8. Squalliesmom

Squalliesmom Well-Known Member

Yikes, 27 on an AlphaTrak???? Omg is right! Whew, good that she knew to give Karo! :eek::eek::eek:

9. JanetNJ

That's a fast fall but probably safe. Glad you lowered to 2.

Squalliesmom likes this.
  10. Valerie0116

Valerie0116 New Member

My mom took it around 11:20am again and it was 129, so she gave him a can of wet food mixed with some dry food just in case. My dad should be home soon so he can monitor him. Thanks for all of your help.

JanetNJ likes this.
  11. JanetNJ

129 is a safe number... Don't over over compansate with too many carbs. A small snack of regular low carb food will do. No dry as there's still a buffer.

Valerie0116 likes this.
  12. JanetNJ

Maybe tomorrow reducing to 1.5 would be a good idea for a few days to see what happens. You can see how just 2 units had an effect. 5+ units was wayyyyy too much.

Valerie0116 and Squalliesmom like this.
  13. Valerie0116

Valerie0116 New Member

Okay, we were thinking that as well. We will lower the dose to 1.5 and see how he responds. She only really put a couple pebbles of the dry food in so I think that should be okay, we just wanted to be on the safe side in case it kept going lower and no one was home. And yeah, I have no idea why my vet thought he could just jump up 2 units from 5 to 7! That's nuts! Even 5 seemed to be too much. Thank God I found this website!

Kris & Teasel and JanetNJ like this.
  14. JanetNJ

It could be that 2 is a better dose but seeing as how we are trying to settle her bouncing and see what's happening, doing 1.5 for a few days will settle her down, then we can assess if it's good or we should try 1.75 or 2 depending on what the numbers do.

Valerie0116 likes this.
  15. JanetNJ

Remember that normal numbers on an Alphatrak is 68-150... It's great she's in that nice healing range. :). You're doing a wonderful job with her keeping her safe.

Valerie0116 likes this.
  16. Kris & Teasel

I'm SO GLAD you lowered the dose!!!

Valerie0116 and JanetNJ like this.
  17. JanetNJ

Oh my goodness. 79 at just 2.5 units. Thank goodness you stopped doing 6.5u!

Valerie0116 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.