Merry Christmas Cali

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Sakurei, Dec 12, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sakurei

Sakurei New Member

In about an hour I get to pick up my sweet Cali, who apparently got diabetes for Christmas. She was a little off for a few days, but when she could barely jump we knew she had to see someone. She's been in the hospital for three days and two nights and is only now stabilized enough to come home.

I keep feeling like I should have prevented this, but how could I have known till the doctors told us? I already worry about my four cats, as I know there's a possibility of me bringing something home from work (no matter what preventive measures are taken), now I get to worry more. Worry about her, money, my other cats, my husband, my work, myself. It's all so much.

On top of that - I myself am a stress case. I'm just now breaking through an eleven-year depressive stretch and no matter what I try I'm more anxious than a hedgehog in a balloon shop.

My only saving grace in all this is my vet is willing to do payment plans, and I know how to give shots already. My lifestyle also works well for a diabetic cat as I don't go anywhere ever. And clearly, if there's a forum like this, Cali isn't doomed.

Right?
    20170418_094947.jpg

Last edited: Dec 12, 2018
  2. Sharon14

Sharon14 Well-Known Member

Welcome! Cali is definitely not doomed!!!! We all felt scared and anxious in the beginning so we understand and will help you through this. We also have lots of money saving tips to share. Come to the main health forum, tell us more about Cali and ask any questions you have. Hope to see you there!

3. Idjit's mom

Idjit's mom Well-Known Member

I second what Sharon14 said! We can help you understand what diabetes is, how to treat and manage this disease, and work with you to get Cali feeling better. When she is feeling better, I bet you will too.
    If you haven't had the chance, to back to the Home page and read the Getting Started and the Education sections to the right of the page. This is information that gives you understanding and the power to take steps that are going to help you get started on this new journey. There is additional information in the forums, but this is a very good place to start.
    I like this quote because it gives perspective: Start by doing what's necessary; then do what's possible; and suddenly you are doing the impossible. Saint Francis of Assisi

4. Sandi&Maxine&Whispy(GA)

Sandi&Maxine&Whispy(GA) Well-Known Member

Oh, Cali, you should have asked Santa for something other than diabetes!

Does she have diabetic ketoacidosis (also known as DKA), is that why she has been staying at the vet? While DKA must be taken very seriously, I still wouldn't call a cat with DKA "doomed". But if DKA is not in the picture, and it is just diabetes, then absolutely 100% it is no reason for despair!

Two things for you two hear and consider.

1) Our first diabetic we had since a kitten, and he became diabetic when he was 12 years old. Brady had long hair and was a big boy, and he didn't like to be picked up, but at a routine visit we found that he had dropped 3 full pounds by the time he was diagnosed. We felt terrible at first, but like you, we just didn't know. We didn't even know he had lost weight! So I just made a conscious decision to say "I won't feel guilty for that any longer, and I'll make it up to him by doing and learning everything I can for him from now on". And I did, and he lived for 5 more healthy years as a diabetic before passing away from a GI issue. And there are cats here now or in the past that hAve been diabetic for far longer. My point simply being....Cali is not doomed!

2) It is emotionally manageable -- with practice. And by this, I mean manageable FOR YOU. I am also very anxious and I can still get paralyzingly wound up If I lose the forest for the trees. That is, if we have a week where Whispy's blood glucose numbers are higher than I want, I can start to get tense and anxious. But then I follow the protocol, and his numbers come down, and all is well in my world again. Plus, I realize that HE doesn't know what his numbers are, and that whole week he was happy as a clam -- so I have to purposefully re-remind myself of things like that so that I don't spiral.. (Oh yeah, notice that this is a different cat? I was able to manage well enough with Brady that we adopted a senior diabetic, Whispy, 9 months after Brady's passing, in Brady's memory.) And it is also financially manageable, we all have all kinds of tips for that!

If I can handle feline diabetes, you can too, and you've already taken the first step. You care enough about Cali that you are here.

A warm welcome to you both, and let us know how she is once she gets settled in at home!

Best,
    Sandi&Whisper

Idjit's mom likes this.
  5. Sakurei

Sakurei New Member

We've been in and out of the vet a few times now, trying to find the right dose for her. She's been staying on the high side, but we're hoping now that I can do the blood tests at home the numbers will go down because she'll be less stressed. She's actually impressing me quite a bit. She's been very nice to the vets even though she's scared. She hasn't given me much grief getting the medicine in her and she actually seems a lot happier already. Lately I'll hear her meowing and when she comes around the corner she has a toy she needs me to see. Its still just the beginning, but she clearly has no plans of giving up, so neither will we.

6. Idjit's mom

Idjit's mom Well-Known Member

Hi again Sakurei and Cali. If you are going to be posting and getting information from FDMB members, it would be very helpful if you would create your signature so that we can see Cali's information. This will display with each of your posts. Here is the link on how to do that: SIGNATURE
    Now that you are doing home testing, and congratulations on that, it is time to set up the spreadsheet to track the insulin injections/dosage and the BG (blood glucose) test results you are getting. Then the experienced members can see how the insulin is working for Cali and help make both your lives easier. Here is the link to the spreadsheet INSTRUCTIONS and how to understand the spreadsheet GRID. If you have any difficulties getting the spreadsheet set up, we have members who can help.
    Perhaps, also take a look at this link since you are still pretty new to feline diabetes: http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/feline-diabetes-faq-newcomers-start-here.2502/
    Please post in the Main Health forum going forward so that more members can see your questions and concerns, and offer information and support. :cat:

Kris & Teasel likes this.
  7. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

Welcome. You aren't alone.... We are here for you

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.