Merry Christmas from Ruby!

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by arozeboom, Dec 24, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. arozeboom

arozeboom Well-Known Member

Yesterday was the 1 year anniversary of Ruby's diagnosis as a sugar cat. I tested her 4 hours after dinner and she rang in a lovely 75! She's been OTJ since the beginning of May and has been doing pretty dang good. In September, the blood results of her wellness check showed "mild renal insufficiency". We struggled a bit finding a food that is a compromise for keeping both conditions in check. She decided that Friskies Special Diet Beef & Chicken is the way to go. Not ideal, but the best we can do for now. I took her back for a recheck 2 months later and her renal numbers we holding steady. Her blood pressure also checked out as normal. We did find out that she has some arthritis in her elbows, too. Now she gets Dasaquin and Miralax with every meal. Those seem to keep everything moving as they should be.

I owe everyone here a HUGE thanks and a hug of gratitude. I don't think she would still be with us today if it weren't for the support and knowledge I found here, first on the PZI board and then in LantusLand. When I brought her home from the hospital last Christmas Eve, I was convinced she had been given a death sentence. You all helped me understand that it didn't need to be that way.

Our civvie, Midgie, is also close to an important anniversary. The 25th will be 6 months since we found out she had a lung tumor in one of her tiny lungs (she weighs less than 6 lbs.). She had surgey on June 25th of this year and based on her morning race tracking around the house, she doesn't know she had a third of a lung removed.

Merry Christmas to everyone!
    Amy & Ruby

2. carfurby (GA)

carfurby (GA) Well-Known Member

Merry Christmas to you and your family. I'm glad everyone is doing so well.

3. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

What a wonderful WCR on both of your kitties and what wonderful gifts they are! Have a wonderful holiday season and my guys and I wish you happiness and health for the coming year.

(BTW, have you seen Dr. Lisa's update on food lists? She has a low phosphorus list for renal kitties.)

Attached Files:

4. arozeboom

arozeboom Well-Known Member

Dr. Lisa's list is what I used to find a compromise for the lower phosphorus and low carb. We tried every brand I could find locally and the only one they would agree to eat more than once is the Friskies. My vet was pretty happy when I came in with almost 2 dozen cans of food to donate, though! The Friskies is 5% on carbs and 242 on the phosphorus. Not ideal, but at this point the best I can come up with. The vet recommends against phosphorus binders at this point. At her last blood test in November, her BUN was 38 (higher than I'd like), Crea 1.9 (high end of normal range for our lab) and Phosphorus 3.6 (low end of normal).

5. Amy&TrixieCat

Amy&TrixieCat Well-Known Member

Wonderful report....Merry Christmas!!!!

6. Marje and Gracie

Marje and Gracie Senior Member Moderator

Merry Christmas Amy and Ruby!!! What a great WCR for Ruby and so glad to hear your civvie is doing so fantastic. I remember the Ruby roller coaster but you did great with her!!

Come visit ANY time but remember....her condo is at the Falls :D :D :YMHUG: :YMHUG: :YMHUG:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.