metacam question, answered thanks!

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by PeterDevonMocha, Mar 19, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PeterDevonMocha

PeterDevonMocha Well-Known Member

Mocha had her dental done today. We agreed to her receiving metacam at home for inflammation. Now someone has mentioned that it can sometimes cause renal failure in cats. The vet we went to is almost 2 hours from us and closed by now I am sure. What should we do? I don't want mocha to be in pain, but I don't want it to cause renal failure either. Now my heart is racing and I'm confused on what to do??

Her dosing amount is full dose today/tomorrow 1 time a day, days 4 6 and 8 she get's a 1/4 dose. Her full dose amount was based on her weight (14lbs) I believe the vet tech said it is equal to about a teaspoon of liquid?

2. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

Re: metacam question, please help?

If i remember, there was not anything extensive done to Mocha (a few normal extractions is not really extensive). If that is this the case I would not use the Metacam since it is not worse the risk.

3. PeterDevonMocha

larry, she had 8 extractions done today. This small of a dose can cause renal failure? I don't want her in pain either.

4. PeterDevonMocha

for those of you who have kitties with full mouth or partial mouth extractions, what was the inflammation medication you used? We knew we did not want prednisone, but we were not familiar with metacam.

5. Larry and Kitties

I think I got Mocha's dental mixed up with another one done today. The other one had had a lot fewer teeth pulled. What is the dose of Metacam? The label given with the Metacam should state both the concentration and how much to administer.

6. Cyn and Cosmo

Cyn and Cosmo Member

we have ALWAYS gotten buprenex for pain. the one time we got something else (a fentanyl patch) it was on TOP of the buprenex (Cosmo had gotten his eye removed).

I think if I were you, I would give a dose of the metacam and then see if you can get some buprenex tomorrow.

7. PeterDevonMocha

this is what the label on the metacam reads:

metacam 0.5mg/ml 15ml#2490

we give a full dose based on mochas weight (14lbs) 1 time a day for 2 days. On day 3, no medicine. Day 4, 6 and 8 draw to 1/4 of mochas body weight

Cyn, we got bupe for mochas pain needs, but the metacam was for her inflammation.

8. Larry and Kitties

I looked up the dosing in Plumb's. It states two references for oral use in cats. The first says your dose initially then half that dose for two days followed by 1/8 of the original dose 2-3 times a week. The other is half your dose daily for max of four days.

9. carolynandlatte

carolynandlatte Well-Known Member

Latte had renal failure from metacam (oral). So, Im partial to say just use the bupe tonight.

Im assuming if they sent you home with metacam oral, they also used the injection during the dental. It is stated clearly in the manufacturer's sheet not to do this (give both an injection and oral).

Please click on the link in my signature to read more about metacam.

(((((hugz))))))

10. PeterDevonMocha

hmmm .. neither one of those match what is written on the box. Of course all over the box are the statements that this medicine is used in dogs, and used on cats in Europe, but not on cats in the US.

Mocha had her kidneys and her liver functions tested today, and both came back in the normal range on the lab work, if that makes a difference.

11. carolynandlatte

Hey,
    How old is mocha? And was their labwork - kidney values done prior to the dental?
    Oh wait...let me go back and look at your condo yesterday..there was labwork, right?

12. carolynandlatte

Latte's labs were normal a few days prior to starting metacam oral. She was 14. Let me see if I can dig up some old posts on metacam. A more recent one was pretty good.

13. Larry and Kitties

Evaluation of kidney function via blood tests is not that good since the there is a lot of excess kidney function. A better early indication is urine specific gravity.

14. carolynandlatte

15. PeterDevonMocha

Ok, read through the thread. Most of the people seemed to be using it for anti inflammatory for arthritis, where we would be using it for her gums. Would it be a bad idea to give her the bupe for pain, but no metacam tonight? Would that cause any problems?

16. carolynandlatte

I think you are now informed of the risks, and you can make the best decision for Mocha.

IMHO- I think it would be good to just give the bupe (think I just said that in your cond) and skip the metacam for now. It's like insulin...you cant take it back outta the cat. And with metacam, one dose is all it takes to do damage sometimes.

Best to save metacam for a life or death scenario/quality of life issue.

17. PeterDevonMocha

carolyn, thank you for all of your help and information tonight. I am sorry you have dealt with the negatives of metacam. Because of the research you have posted on here, we have decided to NOT use metacam in mocha. It is not worth the risk to us.

18. PeterDevonMocha

Re: metacam question, please help? bupe dose question

ok, no metacam for mocha. It is not worth it, but now my question is, is 10u of buprenex in a U100 syringe the right amount of pain meds for mocha?

19. PeterDevonMocha

Re: metacam question, please help? bupe dose question

ok, we did some research online for dosing protocols on bupe. It says that anywhere from 0.05 to 0.1u per pound is an average dose. Mocha weighs 14lbs and is given 10u on a U100 syringe. So she is on the lower end of the amount she can have for her weight. So we are giving her the 10u of bupe now.

20. Larry and Kitties

Buprenex is not dosed via units. It is dosed via mg. One standard concentration of Buprenex is 0.3 mg/ml. Buprenex is one manufactures name for the generic buprenorphine.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.