Meters and other Q's

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Anonymous, Sep 27, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Mugsy's doc has decided to try him on Lantus. Our friend Jake is using Levimer. We are the "guinea pigs". He's learning from us and we're learning from "you all". Has anyone tried the Maxima Meter???? It seems to be ideal - easy to read, small sample, and low price for strips. Both cats are doing great! BG in the normal range or just slightly above. They are now active, playful, kittenlike and one is 13/14 and the other is 7+. Any suggestions or comments welcome.

2. Phoebe_TiggyGA_NortonGA

Phoebe_TiggyGA_NortonGA Well-Known Member

I use the Maxima AST meter and love it. I've only seen it online at http://www.hocks.com, so I have to make sure and order more strips before I run out (can't just run up to the local pharmacy)

I've been using the Maxima AST for a couple years now. I guess it is being phased out over the next year or so, and replaced with the Maxima Infinity.

3. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

The Maxima meter I was considering is at americandiabeteswholesale.com. The meter with control solution/lance pen/200 strips is $75 and strips cost under $19. Glad to hear from you.

4. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

5. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I don't know if this is the same meter but, I'm checking it out right now. Does the meter you are talking about also say Easygluco or Control? The one I'm considering just says Maxima. Thanks.

6. Phoebe_TiggyGA_NortonGA

Phoebe_TiggyGA_NortonGA Well-Known Member

The Maxima AST meter kit from www.hocks.com is $6.99
    http://hocks.com/hocks-healthcare/hocks ... AXKIT.html

and test strips are $16.49 per 50ct or $15.67 if you buy 5 or more:
    http://hocks.com/hocks-healthcare/hocks ... MAX50.html

To get free shipping, I also buy my syringes and lancets from www.hocks.com
    http://hocks.com/hocks-healthcare/hocks ... 40030.html $17.49 per 100
    http://hocks.com/hocks-healthcare/hocks ... 10030.html $1.49 per 100

If I get 200 syringes, 200 test strips and 200 lancets, I get free shipping.

7. pepperzoe

pepperzoe New Member

Haven't tried the Maxima Meter but I did get Target's brand, up & up, and am very happy with it. It takes a 0.5 sample size and the strips can stay in the meter for three minutes before needing blood. Paid $8 for the meter and $8 for a 25 count package of strips. I believe a 100 count box is just $31 which is about the same as I paid for a 25 count box of strips for my old meter. If there's a Target nearby I recommend their meter.

8. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

The Easy Gluco, Maximum AST and the Control are three different meters and required their own strips. I had an EasyGluco and it worked OK and the strips were cheap. However, it takes 3 ml of blood. I stopped using it when Hock's did not have any strips when I wanted more strips. I then bought the Control AST from Hock's. I like it and have three of them, one each for Patches, Thunder and Twigie.

9. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I just got a response from US Diagnostics who makes the Maxima, Accura and Infinity meters and their Sales Mgr, Jon Johnson, says they will continue to provide the strips and other suppkies for the Maxima for the foreseeable future but, are pushing the Accura and Infinity meters because they do not require coding. Thanks to all of you for your help...I will check out hocks and these other meters.

Sally and Mugsy

PS - [url] americandiabeteswholesale.com seems to have good prices and plenty of supplies in stock.

10. Ann & Tess GA

Ann & Tess GA Well-Known Member

I too talked to Jon Johnson. He said that while they are phasing out the Maxima meter the strips will be available for some time yet. There were some problems reported with the meter resulting in wasted strips. The only problem I've had is when the battery starts to go, which does seem to happen more than I would expect. They will keep a supply of meters for replacement if you have a problem. He even told me they would have replaced the meter I dropped in my coffee!

If you are able to order a case (24 boxes) of strips you can oder them directly from Jon for $11 per 50 strip box and no shipping charge. The same deal applies to the new Infinity meter. PM me if you want his phone number. If you are considering a new meter I'd go with the newer Infinity model as the strips are the same price. You can get the meter and a box of 50 strips for $20 at Hocks.

ETA: I checked out americandiabeteswholesale.com and Hocks is cheaper, If you link to Hocks from the linke at the top of the page FDMB gets an 8% commission to help run the site.

11. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Thanks Ann (and others) I've decided to go with the Infinity from Hocks. You've all been a great help.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.