? Meters in the UK.

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Sue484, Apr 6, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sue484

Sue484 Well-Known Member

Hi. Which meters do you UK'ers use? Can you buy at the chemist without a prescription? I gave looked online but I need the readings to be in the UK way rather than the US as I don't understand them and cannot be converting all the time.

2. Elizabeth and Bertie

Elizabeth and Bertie Well-Known Member

Hi Sue,

Yes, you can buy meters and strips without prescription.
    Quite a few UK'ers use the Accucheck Aviva. It's generally one of the more easily available ones; only takes a small blood sample; and the test strips can often be bought on Ebay (sometimes for around half the RRP).

Eliz

Marlena likes this.
  3. Critter Mom

Critter Mom Well-Known Member

Hi Sue,

As you probably already know I use an Alphatrak as my main meter but I have an Accu-Chek Aviva as a backup. Got mine at Morrison's pharmacy and, as Eliz advises above, you can get better deals on ebay/Amazon than at a local pharmacy. Have a look at the models that your local pharmacies carry before making a decision; helps to know where to get strips locally in a hurry if you're running low.

Mogs

Last edited: Apr 6, 2016
    Marlena likes this.
  4. Critter Mom

5. Sue484

Sue484 Well-Known Member

@Critter Mom seeing as you use both, do the Alphatrak lancets fit the accuchek lancing device?

6. Lily-Fish

Lily-Fish Member

Morrisons pharmacy 12.99 accuchek aviva 15.00 for 50 strips

7. Critter Mom

Nope. They're totally different animals altogether.

Mogs

8. Critter Mom

Good spot, Becka! I paid nearly £30 for 50 strips at Morrison's when I bought the meter.

Mogs

9. Lily-Fish

Lily-Fish Member

Quick!!! Mass exodus to morrisons for salad bar and testing strips!!!

I just went because Lily's old meter was all over the place. Turns out she is surfing around the low yellows nearly blue today :) and that's after a lower pre shot this morning! Metacam has definitely worked in some way to drop the inflammation. Hopefully, lily can have a dosecrease soon to get her into healing numbers.

Critter Mom likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.