Methyl B-12 side effects?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Kris & Motska (GA), May 29, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kris & Motska (GA)

Kris & Motska (GA) Member

Last night, I decided to start Motska on Methyl B-12, based upon the info I've been reading on FDMB. She hasn't been walking on her hocks, but I want to make sure she doesn't get to that point, since she doesn't/can't jump onto the counters like she used to. I went to several pharmacies (WalMart, Target, Walgreens, GNC, etc.) and the only place I found it was The Vitamin Store. Problem is that most of them had a LOT of extra ingredients and all of them were flavored (there weren't any in capsules that I could just break open). I bought the one with the least amount of extra "stuff."

When I got it home, I crushed two of them (1000 mcg each -- same as 1 mg each) and mixed them into her food. The flavoring didn't seem to affect her interest in the food -- she ate just fine. But after awhile, I noticed that she was walking funny -- like her neuropathy had suddenly gotten worse. Although she wasn't walking on her hocks, she seemed less steady on her feet and almost slipped off of the front edge of the bathroom sink/counter.

I immediately picked up what remained of her food and threw it away, and replaced it with regular food -- no vitamins. I also checked her blood glucose and it was 275 at +1 post-shot. I woke up at 11pm and checked her BG again, and she was at 89 at +4 post-shot. I also made her walk around so I could watch, and she seemed OK.

1) Has anyone else experienced side effects from Methyl B-12? Could it be from the extras in there? Other ingredients listed are: Xylitol, Cellulose, Natural Mixed Berry Flavor and Other Natural Flavors, Stearic Acid, Magnesium Stearate, Stearic Acid, Silica

2) Can anyone suggest a good place to get Methyl B-12 where it doesn't include all of the extra "junk" or where it comes in capsules? (I'd prefer a store I can go to in person rather than off of the internet, if possible.)

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Kris

2. Rob & Harley (GA)

Rob & Harley (GA) Well-Known Member

Hi Kris,

I guess I wouldn't worry about the extra ingredients. I didn't even think about it.

My Harley boy looked like he was drunk when he walked. He couldn't jump up onto the bed and he would fall when trying to jump from one spot to another. I couldn't find the capsules either so I bought the disolving tabs, it's all I could fine.

I mixed it into his food and the neuropothy resolved itself, but it takes time to work. Actually if I remember right it's 500 Mcg. But you should keep giving it daily.

If I'm wrong on the dosage I hope someone corrects me.

3. Hillary & Maui (GA)

Hillary & Maui (GA) Well-Known Member

4. KarenRamboConan

KarenRamboConan Senior Member Moderator

DO NOT USE!!!!!

I am sorry I am late responding to this, but I just saw it. Please do NOT give her any more!

It's not the MB12 that could be causing the problems, it's the Xylitol - it is toxic to dogs, and they suspect that it is also toxic to cats!! http://www.petconnection.com/blog/hansen-xylitol/

Please do not give her any more -- call you vet immediately, and switch to a brand without Xylitol.

And please let us know how she is doing.

5. KittyMom777

KittyMom777 Member

Hi, This is exactly what I just ordered. My vet just called me though and said she had been on the Vitacost website and looked through 40 of them and each contained sugar or form of sugar and a bunch of other stuff like calcium etc that I should not give to my cat.

I really want his neuropathy better. He is so bad and I want to try this. Did you have any side effects from using it? Please someone respond.

6. MommaOfMuse

MommaOfMuse Well-Known Member

All 3 of mine have used it and they were greatly improved by it. With no side effects what so ever other than with a matter of months to weeks they were all back walking on their toes like a cat should. My youngest of the 3, I posted you pictures of him on your other thread went from not being able to walk at all to leaping on top of my fridge in one graceful leap. He now plays with and chases his best friend my 1 year old kitten.

Mel and The Fur Gang

7. KittyMom777

KittyMom777 Member

Thank you. I will try it anyways. I hope the vet doesn't ask me why he's suddenly walking fine again. She said she thinks he may have some other neurology condition as his legs are so wobbly but I have seen other cats far worse on YouTube and don't want to have to do a bunch more tests on my baby. As I get used to this forum and how it works, I will add more info. I am a bit internet nervous of sharing too much personal information.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.