metoclopramide (Reglan)?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Pandasmom, Jun 15, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pandasmom

Pandasmom Member

Anyone have any experience with metoclopramide?
    The internal medicine vet just prescribed it to Odie for a few days to see if we can get the nausea under control and get him to eat. He's getting 1/4 of a 5mg tablet 2x daily.

I just gave him his first dose... fingers crossed that it works. Anyone know how long it takes to take effect?

thanks
    Odiesmom

2. Pandasmom

Pandasmom Member

no one?

3. Maggies Mom Debby

Maggies Mom Debby Well-Known Member

I used Reglan for Maggie. I think it helped her. But there are some possible bad side effects, so you probably won't want to keep Odie on it for a long time. BTW, Maggie never had any side effects.

Reglan increases muscle contractions in the upper digestive tract. This speeds up the rate at which the stomach empties into the intestines.
    Reglan is used short-term to treat heartburn caused by gastroesophageal reflux in people who have used other medications without relief of symptoms. It is also used to treat nausea and vomiting.
    Reglan is also used to treat slow gastric emptying in people with diabetes (also called diabetic gastroparesis), which can cause nausea, vomiting, heartburn, loss of appetite, and a feeling of fullness after meals.

4. Linda and Bear Man

Linda and Bear Man Well-Known Member

I have used it for Bear in the past. He tolerated it well for a long time, then developed a side effect of agitation and restlessness. It should start to work very quickly.

5. Joanna & Bix (GA)

Joanna & Bix (GA) Well-Known Member

in my experience it works really well for nausea, but can be pretty wacky with the side effects - 2 of my cats who were prescribed it at one point or another couldn't continue due to the side-effects (one got aggressive, one got freaked out), but the other tolerated it well, and it really helped her... to me it's something I am hesitant now to give (thankfully it hasn't come up lately), but sometimes it's the only choice for the nausea, so it's a balancing act - if it helps, great, if the side effects are freaky, then you ditch it..... it seems to work quite quickly, kicking in fairly soon after you give a dose, then wearing off a few hours later, at least that's my understanding of it....

hope things improve for you & Odie soon :D

6. chriscleo

chriscleo Well-Known Member

i've used it for harry's IBD. when he's been on reglan it's been for 7 to 10 days. it's worked well for him. don't remember how quickly it seemed to start working for him but believe it was within 1-3 days.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.