Metronidazole alternative?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Pam Barnes, Nov 23, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pam Barnes

Pam Barnes Member

Hi,

I am looking for an alternative to Metronidazole. Bo does not like the taste, and I feel like a horrible cat mama giving it to him. I saw a post awhile back that said something about another med that contains metronidazole but doesn’t taste as bad. Of course, I didn’t write the info down and can’t find the post now. Can someone help me?

Thanks!
    Pam

2. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

What is the reason for giving the metronidazole?
    Yes metronidazole does taste bad/bitter. When I gave it I always put the pill (really 1/4 of 250 mg pill) in a #3 gel cap.

3. Pam Barnes

Pam Barnes Member

He was getting it because he supposedly had IBD. When we stopped giving it to him before, he wouldn’t eat much. He started taking it again and started eating again.

I can’t pill him... it is a huge battle. He gets it in a liquid form.

4. Becky & Baby Girl GA

Becky & Baby Girl GA Well-Known Member

I am not aware of another antibiotic that is like the metro. I had the metronidazole made into a gel/paste for Baby to rub on the inside of the ear. Transdermal, I’m just not quite certain that it is as deffective as the liquid & pill form. I have experienced this in other medications as well. ECID.. Baby has IBD & next time I will get the liquid & pray she won’t put up too much of a fight in taking it. Is it compounded or mixed with tuna flavour? You might want to ask your vet about the transdermal. It’s very easy in comparison. Good luck to you & Bo....

5. Pam Barnes

Pam Barnes Member

The compound I get is from the vet and isn’t in a tuna flavor. However, I have tried a fish flavored one from the pharmacy...but he didn’t like it either. It is super bitter.

I will ask about the transdermal gel. Thank you.

Becky & Baby Girl GA likes this.
  6. Becky & Baby Girl GA

Becky & Baby Girl GA Well-Known Member

Oh no... well I may stick with the gel too then. Thanks for letting me know that, much appreciated. I definitely can’t pill her successfully- she is a pro at pill spitting! I feel like I’m wrestling an alligator just to make it stay in her mouth!

7. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

Budesonide is frequently used for IBD. I had a few cats with suspected IBD and they go both metronidazole and budesonide

8. Pam Barnes

Pam Barnes Member

EXACTLY...alligator wrangling!!!!

9. Pam Barnes

Pam Barnes Member

My previous vet believed Bo had IBD and put him on prednisolone...which was the cause of his diabetes. After his DKA, he was put on Budesonide and Metronidazole. The diagnosis of IBD was based on an ultrasound where they saw a thickening of the bowel walls. His was 2 1/2 years ago.

My new vet questioned why he was diagnosed solely on the ultrasound. Because he was having some other symptoms, he did another ultrasound...no more thickening. So, he hasn’t been on Budesonide for a couple weeks. He didn’t take him off the Metronidazole too because he didn’t want to make to many changes at once.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2018
  10. jayla-n-Drevon

jayla-n-Drevon Well-Known Member

My boy Rico is on budesonide--initially he got steroid induce diabetes for it but I found a dose that keeps his IBD under control and been in remission for about 2 years from fd--1 diabetic is enough 2 drove me crazy!
    Metro is nasty tasting-I don't know of a alternative maybe tylan but that is nasty too

11. billysmom (GA)

billysmom (GA) Member

I had a cat on metro for IBD and it did wonders. She didn't take it every day. I think it was about 2x/week or every 3 days. I remember the vet wanted to use it as infrequently as possible and still get good results. We used the fish flavored and found that she protested less if it was refridgerated.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.