Metronidazole

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Jane & Boo (GA), Mar 7, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jane & Boo (GA)

Jane & Boo (GA) Member

I posted this over on PZI, but had intended to post it here. Had a senior moment and just plain forgot where I was... anyhow.....

My vet suspects that Silverado has pancreatitis. This is just a guess on his part... no test performed. He prescribed 50mg, Metronidazole to be given every 12 hours for 30 days. Has anyone used this?

Jane & Silverado

2. Karen & Pearl

Karen & Pearl Member

It is an antibiotic that is especially useful for intestinal and other "gut" infections. I have some (that was just a precaution and did not give Pearl). My boy was on it for an extended period along with pred for mouth trouble. Never had trouble with it. there are probably a whole lot of other things to give for pancreatitis before that. There is actually rarely an infection along with pancreatitis.

See this vet round table:

http://www.idexx.com/pubwebresources/pd ... rticle.pdf

and
    See jojo's panc post:

http://www.felinediabetes.com/phorum5/r ... 722,876722

3. Gia and Quirk

Gia and Quirk Member

Please tell your vet you don't want to give antibiotics unless you have proof, through tests, of what bacteria is being treated. Vets and human doctors both are over prescribing antibiotics and the price is high; bacteria resistant infections are the result of this.

4. Dana & Thomas

Dana & Thomas Member

Thomas took that for IBD, not for pancreatitis.
    Dana

5. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

My old vet gave Metronidazole for pancreatitis. Unlike other antibiotics, metronidizole also has anti-inflammatory properties. Metronidizole also tastes terrible and is not easy to administer for a lot of cats.

6. Jane & Boo (GA)

Jane & Boo (GA) Member

I did some research and what I found agrees with Larry's post. Metronidazole does have anti-inflam properties and can be prescribed for pancreatitis.

So Larry, did it work?

Silverado has been very difficult to regulate after having been on a very short lived remission. A recent blood test indicated "slightly" elevated white blood cell count and "slightly" elevated liver enzymes. There is no UTI and we just did a dental. Doc says he has a beautiful smile. No gum issues and no bad teeth. So.... he prescribed the Metronidazole and said that he suspects pancreatitis. Isn't pancreatitis usually accompanied by diarrhea and anorexia? Silverado has neither. All other blood test values are in the normal range... including kidneys.

As for the bad taste... Silverado is a big boy, with a big wide mouth. I have been very careful to make sure that I get a good "slam dunk" to the back of the throat so he doesn't taste it. So far, so good. I know if I have a miss-fire, there won't be a second chance.

Jane & Silverado

7. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

The Metronidizole or something worked since my Mitten is still with me.

8. Lisa and Do Lou (GA)

Lisa and Do Lou (GA) Well-Known Member

WE often use it where I work as a vet tech for this condition but just watch for vomiting since this med can cause this in some patients

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.