Mewpurr now diabetic.

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Caroling, Jan 22, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Caroling

Caroling New Member

Hi my name is carol. Just had a 10 yr old cat diagnosed with diabetes on wed. His name is Mewpurr. Normally a active fun loving. Has been pretty subdued the last few weeks. Then put him on the
    Scale on he had lost a pound since jan 3. Checked his sugar and it was 350. Am diabetic myself so had supplies. Got him started on lantus 2 units twice a day on wed. And switched to wet food. Also had urinary blockage 4yr ago so need to use a urinary food and had been doing a mix of wet and dry. So far his sugars still mostly 300-400. I not real sure how to use this site or any messages or chat room. My Biggest concern now is my
    Vet said I can only feed him two times daily when I give the insulin. Since lantus is slow acting why Can't I feed him more freq?? My Vet is very good and works well with Me as I have had several cats with CKD over the last few years. Maybe this question belong on the health forum. Will post there if needed and I figure out how to use the
    Site. Thanks

2. Critter Mom

Critter Mom Well-Known Member

Hi Carol, and welcome to yourself and Mewpurr. (Great name!)

There is no reason why you need to feed only twice a day, particularly with an insulin like Lantus which is long-acting. Many here, myself included, feed mini meals throughout the day. It's considered to be easier on the pancreas, it can help to even out blood glucose levels, and it also helps prevent build up of stomach acid. Assuming that you're home testing Mewpurr's blood glucose levels, the key point to remember is to lift all food for two hours before doing your preshot blood glucose tests to make sure they're not food-influenced. (If you're not home testing but would like to learn, we can help!)

For information, with some harsher insulins like Vetsulin (a lente insulin), a kitty needs to get a good bit of food on board before giving insulin because it tends to drop blood glucose levels like a rock in the early part of the cycle.

Mogs

Last edited: Jan 23, 2016
  3. Jeanne & Dottie

Jeanne & Dottie Member

Welcome Carol and Mewpurr:bighug: You're in good hands, here!

Some pretty wonderful people are just itching to help you get Mewpurr back up to snuff. The fact that you are diabetic gives you a special insight. You know how it feels to be diabetic, so you'll likely be able to read your cat's low blood sugar signals like the back of your hand.

There's links to good dietary choices for Mewpurr, too. Low carb foods that aren't priced sky-high, and taste good too! Your cat may even be eating some of them now.

So come on into the main forum, and meet all your new friends and their furkids. Again, welcome!:bighug:

Critter Mom likes this.
  4. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

By changing to low carb canned food, you may have reduced the insulin requirement by 1-2 units. please test during the likely nadir period +5 to +7 hours post shot, particularly as the days since you started build up - the effects of Lantus build up over 5-7 days on the initial dose and within 3-5 days on subsequent dose changes.

5. Caroling

Caroling New Member

Thank you for the welcome. Am going to
    Post on lantus board this am as his fasting was 132 this am and holding off on am dose.
    Thanks for the welcome. Am going to post On lantus g
    thank you.

Critter Mom likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.