Micah AMPS 154, skipping, doing curve this weekend, please advise

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by Wren, Jun 8, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Wren

Wren Member

So I know I haven't been doing a terribly wonderful job of tracking Micah's BG but today it is even higher than when I first took him to the vet and it's the highest he's gotten in a BG test since I started. Should I be really concerned right now? I upped his dosage to 1u because he was drinking more water and his BG levels were pretty high in the 300s still.

I gave him half a can of food after the PMPS of 430 because I was worried how high it would go if I gave him the whole can. I'll be checking again in 2 hours but I could use some advice!

Thanks!
    Karen

Link to previous thread for Micah:
    http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/...-pmps-332-new-to-prozinc.158578/#post-1692462

2. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

Hey Karen,

It does look like Micah is higher than normal today. Any chance of him getting into contraband or anything else that could cause a higher number?

It may just be a wonky cycle. Honestly, sometimes you're going to get a number you don't expect, and it could be for any number of reasons. I wouldn't worry too much about this one cycle. What did you give tonight? 1 unit again? Any chance of catching some mid cycle numbers soon? Seeing how low he goes at nadir would help us determine if he is bouncing or what's going on.

3. Wren

Wren Member

Hi Rachel,

Nope he stays in a cat apartment during the day so he had no access to contraband... Yep sorry I did give him 1u again tonight. I'm probably going to be able to keep checking up to +5. Unfortunately I've been super busy with end of the school year and trying to get my wisdom tooth pulled out. I shouldn't have too much going on this weekend though so I'll try to do more nadir ranges then.

Sarah Smith likes this.
  4. Robin&BB

Robin&BB Well-Known Member

Karen, please make sure you monitor closely tonight. Looking at his SS, I am seeing an almost 300 point drop already at +3. While that 137 is a nice blue number, the depth of this drop makes me concerned about what he could go down to later in this cycle - so do keep an eye on him, ok?

5. Wren

Wren Member

Alright. I'll try to check up on him in a couple hours. Meanwhile I'm going to give him half a can of food.

6. Robin&BB

Karen, there's really no need to steer with food at this point, but if you've already done that ... oh, well.

ETA: And the only reason I said that is this: By giving him more food at this point in the cycle, we are not able to see how he's processing this insulin without the food spiking his numbers back up.
    So giving food this soon kind of "muddies the waters" - do you see what I mean by that?

7. Wren

Wren Member

I only gave him half of his food earlier because I was worried about his BG so this is the remainder of his meal. Could that have affected it dropping so quickly since he didn't eat the normal amount at PMPS?

8. Robin&BB

Yes, that's possible. I know that my cat's blood glucose will usually rise, for example, at between 50-65 points higher on a 5/8 can meal of Fancy Feast turkey w/giblets (3% carbs). But if she only eats 1/4 can (2/8ths instead of 5/8ths), she will usually only rise about 25-30 points. Every cat's metabolism is unique to that cat; some rise more than others, some less.

9. Wren

Wren Member

AMPS was 154 so I'm skipping. Fortunately my only plans for this weekend are lesson planning and trying to do a curve for Micah once his BG is high enough to give him a shot again.

Random question... Do cats on low carb diets poop a lot less than regular cats? Micah poops regularly but there will only be 2-4 super dark almost black balls that are much smaller than his old poop.

He stopped throwing up his new food but occasionally throws up the new chicken treats (pure bites). He threw up a tiny bit last night and I can see the chicken flakes. I guess he's still getting used to it.

10. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

Nice AMPS! I'm not sure about the poop question...I didn't notice when I switched mine to low carb. Might ask on the main board to see if anyone out there has that experience. :)

11. Djamila

Djamila Well-Known Member

Somewhere on here there is a YouTube video that shows the change in cat poop between low and high carb food. I definitely noticed a change in my kitties and thought there was something wrong with them. Turns out small dry poop is actually a sign of a healthy diet!

12. Wren

Wren Member

I'm sorry. I'm unable to do a curve this weekend because my roommate punched me in the head yesterday. Big fiasco but lots to deal with including moving out.

Micah was low this morning so I skipped and it went back up to 234. Will update excel sheet soon.

13. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

Oh my! Karen, are you okay? Are you safe?

Please don't worry about a curve right now. Get yourself and Micah safe and you can do a curve later.

Sarah Smith likes this.
  14. Sarah Smith

Sarah Smith Member

Like Rachel said just make sure you and Micah are safe. No need to apologize ever for not getting a curve, but especially with those circumstances!

Ruby&Baco likes this.
  15. Ruby&Baco

Ruby&Baco Well-Known Member

Wow, hope you and Micah are safe!
    Please get yourself in a safe situation.

16. Robin&BB

So sorry to read this! Hoping you're okay and that you and Micah have made it to a safe place by now, Karen.

17. Wren

Wren Member

We are in a safe place now, thanks everyone for your concern!

I've been continuing with BG monitoring but now it appears I am already out of ReliOn Confirm strips. :facepalm: The 1st 100 strips flew by so quickly! I just ordered a 100 pack 1 day shipping with Amazon even though it's more expensive than Walmart. Didn't realize that CVS/Target wouldn't have ReliOn strips and the nearest Walmart is a little out of the way so I will have to order more in advance next time.

18. Sarah Smith

Sarah Smith Member

The only downside to the ReliOn is its walmart brand, so the strips are not everywhere, but for the price I can live with that :cat:

19. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

Whoops! Yep, the Relion brand is Walmart, so it's only there you can get the strips.

Glad to hear you are safe!

20. Ruby&Baco

Ruby&Baco Well-Known Member

Glad you and Micah are safe :bighug:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.