Mickey 7/15 pmps

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by Peggy and Mickey (GA), Jul 15, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Peggy and Mickey (GA)

Peggy and Mickey (GA) Well-Known Member

:shock: amps 197! I gave him 1.0 unit at 10pm last night...Ok, here is the problem. I have someone coming over at 9:30a-10a to give insulin. I had to test him at 5:30am before I left for work, I get done at 2pm. Should I wait till I get home to test him and give a shot? Won't that throw him off ? Or should I have my friend giving the shot squirt half of the prefilled syringe and give him a 1/2 unit eyeballed?
    Now I dont feel comfortable having her give the shot because she can't test BG before hand...I ordered u100 needles last night..GNP Click Fine Universal Pen Needles 31 Gauge 8mm (5/16 in) 100ct 1 $16.99 $16.99 and I think they are not the right kind...click ? Should have had my glasses on...Poop

ok at +4 307 I worried for nothing :oops:
    \
    pmps 265 45 mins before shot @ 1.0 unit

2. Laurie and Mr Tinkles

Laurie and Mr Tinkles Well-Known Member

Re: Mickey 7/15 Eyes please

Peggy, I would have your friend give the shot, the normal dose, 1.0u. You tested him in mid-cycle, he will most likely rise before his shot is due. When will you be home to test, how long after the shot?

ETA: I missed it, you'll be home shortly after 2pm, that is about 5 hours into the cycle. I would have her give the dose, test him when you get home. That's actually perfect, nadir is usually right around there.

3. Peggy and Mickey (GA)

I will be home 4 1/2 hrs after the shot.

4. Laurie and Mr Tinkles

I edited my post, I missed where you said what time you get done....no coffee yet, I'm not awake! :coffee: Is this friend going to be giving shots regularly while you are at work (during this part of your schedule, I know you have a rotating schedule)? If so, I would teach her how to test, it will ease your mind.

If you are really uncomfortable, you can just wait until you get home, his BG may be higher, but it won't be the end of the world. You can shift his shot around to fit your schedule if that works better for you. PZI isn't like Lantus, you don't HAVE to shoot on a 12/12 schedule all of the time. Look at Alexia & Blue, she has to skip a shot now and then because of her schedule. Blue is doing very well!

It's up to you, just something to consider....either way will work!

ETA: The needles you ordered are the wrong thing, they fit on the end of cartridges. See if you can call and cancel that order or change it to the right ones. Ok, off to get my coffee now!!

5. tuckers mom

tuckers mom Well-Known Member

Peggy, from Hocks the item number for syringes that I use is: A982316

http://hocks.com/Merchant5/merchant.mvc ... de=A982316
    Insulin Syr U-100 31 Gauge 3/10cc 5/16 inch Needle 1/2 Unit Markings (GNP Brand) 100/box

197 is a great number, that's about +7? Do we know what his preshot was on that?

Laurie - does your advice change since Mickey is on ProZinc, not PZI. I know they are similar but since there is the 45 day settling time (from what I've read - not first hand experience), does she need to stick as close to the current schedule as possible?

6. Peggy and Mickey (GA)

Hi Jennifer,
    I don't know what his preshot was on that number. I dozed off and did not do a preshot. I even did the shot almost 1 hour late...So 10:20 pm was the 1 unit shot and I tested the BG at 5:30 am.

Weird, I just called Hocks and had to leave a message for a call back..I wonder if it is a small company?

My friend is going over at 10am to give the shot. She does not want to test his BG so, hope it is ok.

7. tuckers mom

I think Hocks is in California, not sure, but I believe so.

Can you ask your friend to put out a little canned food, maybe that would help ease you a little.

8. Peggy and Mickey (GA)

Thank you all!! :YMHUG:

9. Laurie and Mr Tinkles

My advice is based on ProZinc because that's the only thing I have experience with...I was speaking in general terms, I do usually specify ProZinc. I am one that does believe that there IS a difference between the other PZIs and ProZinc, so it's funny you should mention that! ;-) It would be most ideal to stick to the current shot schedule, but Peggy has a difficult work schedule, she rotates shifts every several days. So, if she wanted to, she could shoot late today and then shoot 12 hours after that, to shift the schedule later in the day for this part of her schedule. I didn't fully explain that...I would NOT shoot 4.5 hours late today and then shoot 7.5 hours later to get back on schedule! (I have had my coffee now, looking back and seeing that I wasn't very clear!)
    Yes, there's that pesky 45 day settling in period with ProZinc...the numbers tend to bounce around and the nadir can move too, but when she tested (+7.5) is at or just past the usual nadir. As long as her friend is shooting around +12, the previous dose should be out of the system and the number will be higher. Naturally, it would be better to have more data, but based on what we have, I would shoot the normal dose and test as soon as possible.

10. tuckers mom

Thanks Laurie, I'm trying to learn about ProZinc since Tucker is now on steroids due to a brain tumor, he's okay on Lev, but not great. I've been thinking about going back to PZI BCP so I can shoot more often as needed, but now with ProZinc I was wondering if it's the same as the BCP or which might be better for Tucker.

Sorry Peggy for hijacking your thread for a moment :)

11. Laurie and Mr Tinkles

My experience is that ProZinc has a longer duration (10-14 hours) than what the other PZIs are supposed to have, but others have gotten shorter durations. Some people have used a TID schedule with it. It is flexible, like the other PZIs, you can shoot early to get more overlap, change dose based on preshot #s if you want to. I base dose more on nadir than preshot and stick to stable dosing, small adjustments, similar to lantus....others use variable dosing. It can work either way, it just depends on your preference and how your cat responds.

I can't help you compare with BCP, I haven't used it. Why don't you start a thread to get some other opinions and experiences?

The 45 day adjustment period is a pain, but I think you need an adjustment period to any insulin. I think it is easier to handle if you have some previous insulin experience, it may not be so unnerving to see so much variation in response. ;-) The response is just not as predictable and consistent in the beginning....some of that may be due to liver training though, so switching from another insulin may give you more consistent results in the adjustment period.

12. tuckers mom

Thanks Laurie, I'd start a thread but Tucker's Lev spreadsheet is not up to date. I have trouble with my computer freezing when I try to use the google document.

I know that's a strange reason not to start my own thread, but I've found that folks usually ask about it and I just can't figure out how to use it without freezing my home or work computer.

13. Laurie and Mr Tinkles

Oh, I wouldn't worry about that! If you want other's opinions about comparing the insulins, your ss shouldn't matter. Most people here are very helpful and wouldn't give you a hard time about your ss. :smile:

I didn't even try to look at the ss, I just tried to give you some info based on what you what you posted. ;-)

14. Laurie and Mr Tinkles

Re: Mickey 7/15 update

Peggy, I had hoped he would give you another nice blue # but I'm not surprised that he didn't. They often bounce back up after a lower number than they are used to (liver training).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.